Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 07:35 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Wellsboro, PA has a make your own culture aspect that's appealing to many, in a milieu that's more politically/socially conservative than many interior Northeast areas (so perhaps not as great a shock in that respect moving from the South). Things To Do - Wellsboro Area Chamber of Commerce | PA As for proximity to larger cities, it's, well, an hour's drive from either of - Williamsport, PA, or Elmira, NY. Nearest Apple store is in Rochester, NY, 2+ hrs. (Philadelphia, Baltimore, Toronto 4+, NYC/DC 5+ hrs)

Cortland, NY is a larger small town, often overshadowed by nearby Ithaca, but it has its own make your own culture aspects while being somewhat less remote than Wellsboro (<1 hr to Syracuse, Ithaca, Binghamton, 4 hr to NYC/Phila). It's one of the few remaining more politically "purple" areas despite being in a "blue" state. It is snowier than Wellsboro, evidenced by 3 ski areas in the county. Nearest Apple store in Syracuse, 45 minutes. City of Cortland Official Web Site
So true and is a more affordable option. You could even throw in adjacent Homer just to the north, which does have this facility: https://center4art.showare.com/

More Homer info: Welcome to Homer Village
Town of Homer NY Official Web Site
Festivals & Fairs
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6370...cg!2e0!6m1!1e1

Cortland street view: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6012...Iw!2e0!6m1!1e1

Wellsboro street view: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7491...kA!2e0!6m1!1e1

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-02-2015 at 07:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 09:07 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,325 times
Thank you everyone for your replies!

ABQSunseeker- Nowhere up that way could possibly be as bad as here in Mobile, AL! One of the rainiest cities in the US, plus you have the constant humidity of Mobile Bay, and not to mention it is much hotter on a daily basis during the summer. It seems to be mainly the combination of heat/humidity that gives me issues. Western Mass, and southern NH are two areas we are interested in at the present, but we are looking for any options that may work.

ckhthankgod- The Albany area looks intriguing. What areas nearby do you think would be the best to raise a family in, and be close to all the things I mentioned in the OP?

ki0eh- Wellsboro and Cortland both look nice, and I will do some research on the areas. Cumberland is actually somewhere we have looked at before, but to be perfectly honest, part of the reason we want to move out of the south is the political climate. We are solidly blue/purple, and do not fit in politically in the south. Even in "blue" metros, people seem to be red, which is strange to say, but true. This coming after having lived in places like Memphis, Mobile, Greensboro NC, and Nashville. It may still be worth a look, but it will probably fall in line behind the places further north, for now at least.

joeyg2014- Southern NH is definitely on out list to check out.

kyle19125- We have lived in the Piedmont Triad of NC for several years, and have visited these places before. We like Charlottesville, and have thought about it previously, but maybe it should go back on the list.

Again, thank you all for the responses! Keep em coming!

Old 06-02-2015, 09:12 AM

As for the Albany area, I'd look into Saratoga County. Saratoga Springs, Ballston Spa and Schuylerville are a few places there that come to mind.

You may even like parts of the cities in the area as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-02-2015 at 10:29 AM..

Old 06-02-2015, 09:23 AM

98 posts, read 208,278 times
I live in Ohio and we have lovely autumns as well as all 4 seasons. However, I have to say that the autumns in PA seem to be quite spectacular. You can find the festivals you seek, etc. in both states. I'm not disagreeing with those who mentioned NY and various new England states, just giving you a couple more options.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:00 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baritone108 View Post
I live in Ohio and we have lovely autumns as well as all 4 seasons. However, I have to say that the autumns in PA seem to be quite spectacular. You can find the festivals you seek, etc. in both states. I'm not disagreeing with those who mentioned NY and various new England states, just giving you a couple more options.

Where in Ohio would you suggest? I actually have a few friends that live in Columbus, as well as Sandusky.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:06 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
I'd also consider the Western half/shoreline of Michigan. Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Holland, Traverse City all have pretty breath taking seasonal transitions. It's also Apple/Fruit country so there are plenty of fall festivals and color tours. Probably Traverse City is going to the most stunning with it's high hills descending into the bay. But also Grand Rapids with it's economy and impressive downtown has things going on every week and weekend. Specifically Art Prize- The worlds largest $ public art competition, takes place over 3 weeks during fall color season and is pretty amazing. It's at least worth checking out

Old 06-02-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I'd also consider the Western half/shoreline of Michigan. Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Holland, Traverse City all have pretty breath taking seasonal transitions. It's also Apple/Fruit country so there are plenty of fall festivals and color tours. Probably Traverse City is going to the most stunning with it's high hills descending into the bay. But also Grand Rapids with it's economy and impressive downtown has things going on every week and weekend. Specifically Art Prize- The worlds largest $ public art competition, takes place over 3 weeks during fall color season and is pretty amazing. It's at least worth checking out
I thought about Lansing too. Quaint small towns and a couple of legitimate Downtowns with things going on in the area. It has a pretty high educational attainment due to being a state capital and home to one of the country's largest universities in Michigan State University.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-02-2015 at 11:29 AM..

Old 06-02-2015, 10:36 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,962,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Hello all!

My wife and I love the time of the year when the summer starts to wear down, and fall starts. We have lived in the south for the entirety of our lives, and we want to leave for a variety of reasons, with weather being near the top. I have a respiratory condition that causes me not to do real well in the heat and humidity of the south. We have what may be considered an odd question, but figured the nice people of city data may be able to help.

Where in the US, preferably east of the Mississippi (just a personal preference), would be the best location for a great summer/fall? Winters can be cold and snowy, or not. We want somewhere with changing leaves, and a plethora of outdoor activities. We want somewhere that we can attend festivals and fairs throughout the summer and fall. We want somewhere with a community type feel. We do not need a big city, but we would like to be within 2 hours or so of a larger city. We love the history aspect of the northeast, so that is the area that we have been concentrating on , but somewhere outside of the northeast that fits would be great as well.

We have a 3 year old son, and we work in accounting and sales/marketing, and my wife is also an aspiring writer with her own website. We aren't worried about budget for the moment, as we are just looking for somewhere that fits, and will worry about those types of things when we are actually ready to make the move.

So, does anywhere in particular come to mind?
Id recommend some Chicago suburbs. There are over 300 to choose from, and Im partial to the western burbs. Theyre very charming, with lots and lots of festivals there and in Chicago proper. I would highly recommend cities like Wheaton, Naperville, St. Charles, Geneva, Glen Ellyn, and Hinsdale. I dont know how much you can spend, but those towns can be a bit pricey. You will enjoy much cooler temps in summer than the south, but it can get very hot and sticky at times, but it cools down and dries out in between hot spells. Fall weather is generally awesome, with temps from 80 down to 40, depending on the day and how late in the year. Snow is common in winter, with 1-3 good snowfalls a year that are 10" or more. Most snowfalls are small, in the 1-3" range.

There are two Metra train stations in Naperville that run downtown Chicago dozens of times throughout the day, if you want the big city nightlife and even more festivals to attend, etc. In fact, of all the towns I recommended, only St. Charles doesnt have direct Metra access, but its right next to Geneva which does.

The areas I mentioned might not be on the same level, historical-wise, as the NE, but theres plenty of history to dive into, and architecture to blow the mind. Its often said Chicago has the best architecture of any major city in the USA, and Id have to concur. The variety is mind boggling.

Good luck in your move!

Old 06-02-2015, 02:27 PM

Just curious, but southernbored, are you looking for communities that look similar to these posted?: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9458...bQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0494...BA!2e0!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9298...XQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8870..._g!2e0!6m1!1e1

Old 06-02-2015, 02:37 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I agree regarding SW Michigan, in particular the Saugatuck-Douglas-Fennville area which is quite beautiful. Another sleeper as mentioned is Kalamazoo which is a surprisingly nice city with a lot to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.