Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 07:58 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
Have you ever BEEN to Virginia or Pennsylvania?!
Yeah, I was kind of wondering why a few people, in a country of FIFTY states, would name Virginia (let alone Pennsylvania) as one of the most "Anywhere" states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 08:40 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danida View Post
I've always been told that the middle states feel the most "middle of nowhere" or "anything USA" as you said. Maybe not as distinguishable or unique as the states around the edges, like Texas, California, New York.
Actually Dallas feels wayyyyyy more "anywhere USA" than Texan.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:17 AM

998 posts, read 1,249,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Yeah, I was kind of wondering why a few people, in a country of FIFTY states, would name Virginia (let alone Pennsylvania) as one of the most "Anywhere" states.
Most likely because they have never been to those places and are going to go with Aunt Martha or the co-worker's concise evaluation.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:59 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 573,971 times
Ohio, Indiana, Illinois

Old 07-24-2015, 06:44 AM

936 posts, read 823,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
If I had to choose, I'd pick the central Midwest out of the two since i find the overall mood of the PNW is quite distinct while the central Midwest has more of the stereotypical extroverted American traits.

I live in Kansas City, MO. It doesn't get more "white bread" than here. The town is actually a crossroads because it's practically in the center of the country. East meets west meets north meets south.

In fact, many large companies and corporations use Kansas City to test market their new products because we're "Anywhere USA." Example: Google Fiber came here about three years ago and wired the city for 1G internet, the fastest in the U.S. (I have internet service that is about 20xs faster than your service. ) McDonald's launched the Happy Meal here almost 30 years ago. We were eating Happy Meals nearly a year before the rest of the world.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:21 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,055 times
Midwestern states e.g., Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska. The PNW and some of the southern states mentioned have more of their own distinct culture.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:55 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
I live in Kansas City, MO. It doesn't get more "white bread" than here. The town is actually a crossroads because it's practically in the center of the country. East meets west meets north meets south.

In fact, many large companies and corporations use Kansas City to test market their new products because we're "Anywhere USA." Example: Google Fiber came here about three years ago and wired the city for 1G internet, the fastest in the U.S. (I have internet service that is about 20xs faster than your service. ) McDonald's launched the Happy Meal here almost 30 years ago. We were eating Happy Meals nearly a year before the rest of the world.
This is why I don't prefer the crossroads places because there is just too much overlap between the influencing adjacent regions, and that causes problems regarding developing a strong identity over time. Kansas City also has more influences from the West than the East, especially within the past few decades. In terms of climate, it has the disadvantages of the North and South without the advantages of either region. Direct flights to other cities have declined as well, so much for being a "crossroads" city. I think that title belongs to Chicago, the largest city in the Midwest and the hub/crossroads of the region. You are correct regarding your points on the test market items, though.

Old 07-26-2015, 02:09 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,428,098 times
Illinois without a doubt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.