Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 09:45 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,206,624 times

Advertisements

'cause if you do someone should call your parents

Old 02-01-2008, 09:46 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
of Course LA's a world class city! Ive never thought differently!

Old 02-01-2008, 09:47 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,496,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
Remember, last summer I warned you not to go into town because you seemed young and impressionable and you said you were impressed by the black town cars and the people walking around at 2 in the morning wearing trenchcoats and the headless body on the sidewalk- do you still want to be associated with that on a Saturday night?
lol I never said I wanted to see those things. Trench coats are worn by business people talking politics on the streets. The "headless body" was about a man sho was shot in the head in the city. I didn't see him get shot but I was in the vicinity after the shooting. But what does this have to do with anything? This has zero relation to this thread.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:49 PM

Business people talking politics? Who would do that...

Old 02-01-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Business people talking politics? Who would do that...
When I was younger I used to dream of being one of the wealthy business people with a briefcase and a trench coat walking down the streets for work. So what's your point? You lose every other argument and you bring up something that's totally irrelevant.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
When I was younger I used to dream of being one of the wealthy business people with a briefcase and a trench coat walking down the streets for work. So what's your point? You lose every other argument and you bring up something that's totally irrelevant.
That's a nice dream. My point is: When you come on here and state that L. A. is not as 'worldly' as New York or London, you should back that up. With something. I made my statements (no..I haven't lost any arguments lately), so make yours I have to go answer a pm. Someone is upset with me.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:07 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
Default comparing LA to Chicago and LA comes out looking like as overrated as I thought it was.

Outside of a big port and the entertainment industry, two things that are based on uncontrollable things like geography or climate, LA is nothing. The only two world class cities in America are New York and Chicago. Everybody knows why New York is a world class city. Here is why Chicago is the only other world class city in America.

Economics: Chicago has 11 (Los Angeles has 5) Fortune 500 companies (Boeing Company, Abbot Industries, Global Hyatt Corporation, Tribune Company(which owns the LA Times and other papers), the Sara Lee Companies, etc.). There are another 21 Fortune 500 companies located in the suburbs (McDonalds, Motorola, Walgreens, etc.) for a total of 32 in the Chicago metro area. Here is a list of all of the major companies in Chicago, both Fortune 500 and non Fortune 500 companies are included: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_major_companies_in_the_Chicago_metropolita n_area. Chicago has the 2nd largest labor pool in America (Chicago is third in total population, this says something about SoCal); the 2nd largest financial center in America (behind New York), the 2nd largest center business district in America (behind New York), the 2nd largest public transportation system in America (behind New York); has the largest high technology & information technology industry employment in America; home to 3 major financial & future exchanges; Chicago was named the fourth most important business center in the world by the MasterCard Worldwide Centers of Commerce Index (behind London, New York, and Tokyo; LA ranked 9th); 3rd in the U.S. in conventions hosted (behind Las Vegas & Orlando).

Arts & Entertainment: Chicago from an arts point of view was the birthplace of house music, influential in hip hop, and legendary for its blues, jazz, gospel, and soul. Chicago is also the birthplace of modern improv. Chicago was the center for industrial, punk, and new wave music. Chicago also is home too many more influential people than LA. Some are born here, others move here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_from_Chicago.

Diversity: 3rd largest Italian community in America (behind Philadelphia & New York); 2nd largest African community in America (behind New York); the largest Swedish community in America; the largest Polish community outside of Warsaw, Poland; the largest Bulgarian community in America; the largest Assyrian community in America and the 2nd largest in the world (behind Iraq); the largest concentration of Gorals (Carpathian highlanders) outside of Europe; the 3rd largest Greek community in the world; the 2nd largest Lithuianian community in the world; the 2nd largest Serbian community in the world; the 3rd largest South Asian community in America (behind New York & San Francisco); the 2nd largest Puerto Rican community in America (behind New York); one of the largest Irish communities in America; the 2nd largest Mexican community in America (behing LA, but look at the difference in distant to Mexico between the two cities); and a center for Palestinian and Jordanian immigration in America.

Higher Education & Research: The University of Chicago, which is associated with 81 Noble prize laureates (3rd in America & 4th in the world) and one of the world’s top research universities (original work on the A-bomb was under their football field.). Northwestern University, which has campus in Evanston & Chicago, is the 14th best university in America (tied with Brown & John Hopkins University according to U.S. News & World Report). Northwestern’s Medill School of Journalism ranks in the top three in journalism, media, and advertising schools. Business week ranks Northwestern’s Kellogg School of Management as the best business school for executive MBA’s and the 3rd best for full time MBA programs. Chicago has the largest Catholic University in America (DePaul), the largest Jesuit Catholic University in America (Loyola), and the largest concentration of seminaries and theological schools outside the Vatican City. Chicago is home to the largest medical school in America (University of Illinois Medical School at UIC). The Illinois Institute of Technology is well known for their architecture and engineering programs.
Chicago is the headquarters for the American Medical Association, American Osteopathic Association, American Dental Association, Academy of General Denistry, American College of Surgeons, American Society for Clinical Pathology, American College of Healthcare Executives, and the American Hospital Association.

Miscellaneous: Chicago has Italian beef, deep dish pizza, Chicago style hot dogs, and my favorite out of all of these, the Maxwell Street Polish. Chicago host one of five World Marathon Majors (Boston, New York, London, Berlin the others). Chicago is the headquarters for the Evengenical Covenant Church, the Evangilical Lutheran Church in America, and the seat of the head of the Assyrian Church of the East. The Baha’i House of Worship for North America is in a northern suburb of Chicago and is only 1 of 7 Baha’i temples in the world; Chicago has the 3rd largest intermodal port in the world (behind Hong Kong & Singapore); the only city in North America where six Class 1 railroads meet; nine interstate highways run through Chicago.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
That's a nice dream. My point is: When you come on here and state that L. A. is not as 'worldly' as New York or London, you should back that up. With something. I made my statements (no..I haven't lost any arguments lately), so make yours I have to go answer a pm. Someone is upset with me.
I don't need to back that up. It's common knowledge that New York City and London are more important and wordly than LA. Common knowledge.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:14 PM

Let's hear the 'common' knowledge- and Dude, that page on Wiki was padded and does not reflect reality or actuality in most ways

Old 02-01-2008, 10:29 PM

Goodnight, nurse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.