Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what state should i move to?
Manchester, NH. 8 26.67%
Worcester, MA. 8 26.67%
Portland, ME. 14 46.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 09:07 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,493,305 times

Advertisements

Here is another recommendation to avoid CT like the plague.. Unless you like high taxes, limited freedoms, crappy cities and suburban sprawl..

From the three cities you listed I would rank them as most others have Portland>Manchester>Worcester.

Have you considered the towns of Portsmouth NH or Cambridge MA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 09:17 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,493,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I'd say that Portland is the winner here. Worcester offers quite a bit more than Manchester, which offers virtually nothing other than reasonable ( 1 hr) proximity to Boston. Worcester also is only an hour from Boston, has commuter rail service to Boston, and has more reasonable housing prices than Boston, but isn't a terribly attractive city.
Just curious what you mean by Worcester has "quite a bit more" then Manchester does? all you listed was commuter rail service to Boston?

Manchester is 45 minutes to the ocean, 45 minutes to the lakes region, an hour to the white mountains, an hour to Boston, has the advantage of being in NH (if you enjoy lower taxes and more freedoms), even the city of Manchester isn't half bad, has a lot of dining options, a decent main street, minor league baseball/hockey venues easy access to Manchester airport. I am not the biggest fan of Manchester but I think it actually has quite a bit to offer.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:17 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Manchester and Worcester aren't really anywhere near a beach - you'd need to drive for close to an hour to get to the coast in Manchester, and over an hour to get to the coast in Worcester. Portland is on the water and does have a small beach, but given the water temperature you probably wouldn't want to swim there except in the summer (and even then it's going to be cool).

Springfield is a pit of a city, and nowhere near the water - it wouldn't have anything you are interested in. Lowell has improved dramatically over the past decade, and is quite livable if you want to be "in the city" but it's also not coastal.

Given your interests, I would strongly suggest you look more closely at New Haven. I lived in New Haven around ten years ago, and while it's on the pricey side, it has everything you're looking for. You don't need a car if you live close to Downtown - there is a robust bus service and two different grocery stores in walking distance. It has the best dining scene in New England of anywhere save Boston. You can take the train into NYC if you want for a day trip. There's a decent beach at Morris Cove you can get to by bicycle. There's some sketch and crime, particularly if you live too far south or west of Downtown, but as long as you live in Downtown or East Rock/Wooster Square you're fine.

I'd also consider New Bedford, due to your desire for a seaside location. It has a nice walkable downtown, and is pretty affordable since it's far away from most of the major job centers in Massachusetts. It's a pretty diverse area, although not in the typical manner of a major U.S. city. It long had a Portuguese community, and in recent years has attracted a lot of other Portuguese-speaking groups, like Cape Verdeans and Brazilians, with substantial Puerto Rican and black communities as well.
I'd take Portland, ME over New Haven, CT.
New Haven:
4. New Haven, Connecticut | Most Dangerous Cities In America | XFINITY

Old 11-06-2015, 02:02 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I'd take Portland, ME over New Haven, CT.
New Haven:
4. New Haven, Connecticut | Most Dangerous Cities In America | XFINITY
I lived in New Haven for a year, and it was totally fine, IMHO. The crime tends to be very much concentrated in low-income areas like The Hill, Fair Haven, Dixwell, and Dwight. Downtown is a bit sketchy at times, but the same is true for most CBDs in the country. East Rock and Wooster Square are right next to Downtown, walkable, and safe places to live. Some of the "suburban" parts of the city, like Morris Cove and Westville, are very low crime as well.

Edit: This map shows the high-risk parts of the city in red. Except for that bit of the CBD, there would be no reason to go to any of those zones unless you lived there.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:31 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I lived in New Haven for a year, and it was totally fine, IMHO. The crime tends to be very much concentrated in low-income areas like The Hill, Fair Haven, Dixwell, and Dwight. Downtown is a bit sketchy at times, but the same is true for most CBDs in the country. East Rock and Wooster Square are right next to Downtown, walkable, and safe places to live. Some of the "suburban" parts of the city, like Morris Cove and Westville, are very low crime as well.

Edit: This map shows the high-risk parts of the city in red. Except for that bit of the CBD, there would be no reason to go to any of those zones unless you lived there.
What year was that?

Old 11-07-2015, 09:00 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,939,398 times
I know many young people who live in the downtown New Haven area or other parts of New Haven and really enjoy it. The city is spotty, so you have to be careful, of course.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:45 AM

32 posts, read 25,341 times
I actually moved to New York City but I'm still considering moving to new England. I haven't made a decision yet but I'm closer to those areas now where I can explore them more which is good. New York is CRAZY expensive! I feel confident I can live and start a new life anywhere now that I've been here for 3 weeks.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:29 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,466 times
Of the 3 you listed though, I'd say Portland easily.

You could always live in coastal NH too. Seabrook and Hampton are about 45 minutes from Boston and they're both on the ocean. Portsmouth has a nice little downtown and it's about an hour from Boston w/o traffic. You may get bored though. They're pretty much bedroom communities of Boston. Or you could just live in the suburbs of Boston such as Salem, Beverly or Lynn. I'd move close to Boston if you get bored easily. If you can afford living in NYC and California, Boston won't be that bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-SW1M44zGs

Last edited by joeyg2014; 12-20-2015 at 12:46 PM..

Old 12-20-2015, 12:32 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameeks87 View Post
I actually moved to New York City but I'm still considering moving to new England. I haven't made a decision yet but I'm closer to those areas now where I can explore them more which is good. New York is CRAZY expensive! I feel confident I can live and start a new life anywhere now that I've been here for 3 weeks.
What are you looking for, exactly?

Old 12-20-2015, 12:51 PM

32 posts, read 25,341 times
A smaller city with job opportunities and less expensive. NYC was great for a season but not to go to college and start a family or even date. I'm hoping to have made a decision by February 2016...so very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.