Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 08:34 PM

88 posts, read 97,947 times

Advertisements

Probably buy. The only way that's getting done is my partner who is just about 18 is already saving up; obviously, I couldn't afford it alone.

Do you think the places suggested are affordable if he saves up until June 2009? That's when the move is planned for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2006, 06:53 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm31091 View Post
I'll look into both North Carolina and South. What are good cities in the South? Anything coastal in either?

Also, NJ was always one of my considerations. I looooove Cape May but it's a little more expensive then I want, although I love it there - I go every summer.

Also, how's Virginia? Been there and I do like it.
Not sure about VA/GA. In NC, look at Charlotte, Asheville, Wilmington (coast), and Raleigh. SC, look at Charleston (coast). All are very good areas, are affordable, and are very beautiful. Just keep in mind, the housing costs/insurance goes way up the closer you live to the ocean. Also, the entire southern coast from VA down is hurricane prone. Just something to think about. Good Luck.

Old 11-19-2006, 08:47 AM

571 posts, read 2,530,037 times
Re: Wisconsin

Just a little clarification: I'm not sure where your uncle lived, but Madison is very distinct from the rest of Wisconsin...it's a liberal "oasis" in what can be a somewhat socially conservative state. I understand it's kind of an off-the- wall suggestion compared to all the east coast suggestions you're getting, but it really is a cool little city Anyway, good luck to you!

Old 11-19-2006, 02:06 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
I should have also asked what line of work you and your partner are in. Cape May itself may not have a lot of high paying job opportunity (depending on your field of work), but depending on what you do, you can find something in nearby areas, such as Vineland or Atlantic City.

It's hard to say what is affordable for you. It depends on how much you earn and save. In some towns in NJ (no not just bad towns either), you can buy a townhome or condo for the low to mid $100s. You can definitely get something decent in the low $200s, assuming you don't want a 4 bedroom family home. If you want to make a 20% downpayment, you would need to save up $20k - $40k for a $100k - $200k purchase + money to pay for closing costs, etc. You can also get a mortgage without putting 20% down, but you will then have to pay for PMI, or take out a "piggy back loan," a second loan so you can put the 20% down. Is it possible for you and your partner to save up that much money in 2 years? Again, it depends on your line of work, your expenses, that sort of thing...only you know for sure.

Old 11-19-2006, 02:17 PM

Well I want to be a teacher, but that's not for a few years. In the immediate term it's just going to be usual teenage jobs and birthday/xmas money. I'm hoping we can afford something somewhere, probably apartments first and eventually a house maybe.

I love Cape May, but there's virtually no colleges or anything near it, so I might have to reconsider. Looked into North Carolina and I really like it, except for the weather (tornado) risks. So that part draws me back to NJ. But NC has a lower cost of living, which is attractive. I just don't know.

Old 11-19-2006, 03:12 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,289 times
Quote:
Well I want to be a teacher, but that's not for a few years. In the immediate term it's just going to be usual teenage jobs and birthday/xmas money. I'm hoping we can afford something somewhere, probably apartments first and eventually a house maybe.

I love Cape May, but there's virtually no colleges or anything near it, so I might have to reconsider. Looked into North Carolina and I really like it, except for the weather (tornado) risks. So that part draws me back to NJ. But NC has a lower cost of living, which is attractive. I just don't know.
The tornado risk is there. There were some 2 days ago. The coast is even more at risk of hurricanes. But the real risk of tornados is in the eastern 1/3 of the state. They're unheard of in WNC. I'm 41 and have lived in the Charlotte area (central NC) all of my life and have never seen a tornado. The risk is there, it's just not very high. It just depends on where you live.

Old 11-19-2006, 03:37 PM

Also, can anyone tell me if there's a low-cost-of living, low crime low hurricane area in Florida? That's another state I like.

Old 11-19-2006, 07:37 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,805 times
Quote:

If you want to live at the Jersey Shore, and want to go to college, you are going to have a rough time. There's Monmouth University, which is in West Long Branch (private, pricey), and really the next closest places are either Rutgers, which is further north and in a very congested area, or the Trenton area, which is at least an hour from most shore points.

Honestly, for what you say you want, it sounds like if your heart is set on NJ, you should go to school and try to get some money saved before you settle here. The shore especially isn't a particularly easy area to become established; nearly everyone that I know had to leave the area to get a college education.

Old 11-19-2006, 07:46 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,007 times
The closest college to Cape May (besides the Atlantic-Cape Community College) is Stockton College, which is a small, highly rated university approximately 45 minutes north. I have friends whose children have received their degrees from Stockton and have gone on to nice jobs...outside of this area.
Cape May is nice, although pricey. As mentioned, job opportunities are not plentiful here. Most people who were raised here go to college elsewhere, and end up working and living outside of this county. Chances are that is exactly what my kids will end up doing.
I wouldn't recommend that a young person live in this area. See other places first, you can always vacation here, then decide after a few years.
Best of luck to you!

Old 11-19-2006, 08:33 PM

It's hard to find a city that combines low costs with good weather and good jobs. It's really getting interesting, however, to research ideas. Thanks for helping people.

Any more suggestions/ideas i'd be glad to see!

Anyone know about cheaper/good parts of Florida with low risk of hurricanes (compared to the rest of the state)? Just checking all my options; I like Florida, but the housing is ridiculous. Are the prices going to level or maybe go down anytime soon, or is it gonna continue to go up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.