Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 09:35 AM

93,338 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Just curious, but what kind of sports do you like, OP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 09:43 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Some homes in Canandaigua that may fit what you are looking for: 32 Gorham St, Canandaigua City, NY 14424

73 Niagara St, Canandaigua City, NY 14424

196 West Ave, Canandaigua City, NY 14424

36 Howell St, Canandaigua City, NY 14424

178 Spencer Lane, Canandaigua City, NY 14424

218 Kennedy Street, Canandaigua City, NY 14424

123 Arlington Park, Canandaigua City, NY 14424

211 Gibson St, Canandaigua City, NY 14424

184 Park St, Canandaigua City, NY 14424

and more here: Property Search Results

Here is a street view of Canandaigua: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8868...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Here are street views of the other communities mentioned above: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0035...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...517d0e!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0832...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gl...124365!6m1!1e1

Some street views of some other communities that come to mind: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9458...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1586...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5420...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9105...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9298...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4395...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Canandaigua is one I think I will put on the list. It looks like a cool town, and it is right on the lake. Looks like the schools are good, and there are plenty of houses within our range. It is close enough to Rochester, and other cities and activities in the Finger Lakes region.

I will just have to do a little bit of research about upstate NY, as I do not currently know a whole lot about the cities up there.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Just curious, but what kind of sports do you like, OP?
Well, my two favorite sports are baseball and football, but I enjoy basketball, rugby, and hockey too. I played all of those except for hockey as well (Not much hockey being played in the south). I would actually love to, at some point, coach either baseball or football.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Well, my two favorite sports are baseball and football, but I enjoy basketball, rugby, and hockey too. I played all of those except for hockey as well (Not much hockey being played in the south). I would actually love to, at some point, coach either baseball or football.
Cool....Canandaigua has a good Football program and is known for its Lacrosse program. I'm actually in tune with the HS Football scene in NYS. So, if you want to know which programs to look into let me know. Here are a couple of sites that could get you started: Syracuse.com HS Football Forum

NYSSWA: New York State Sportswriters Association

Rochester has D1(RIT) and AHL Hockey teams, pro Soccer, AAA Baseball, semi pro Basketball and pro Lacrosse teams. Syracuse is only an hour/hour and 15 minutes away from Canandaigua and Buffalo is about an hour west. Auburn and Batavia also have minor league baseball minutes away. So, you have NFL and an ACC football team, an NHL team, a high level and 3 mid major D1 basketball programs nearby, 2 other AAA baseball teams, pro indoor soccer and other sports teams nearby.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Cool....Canandaigua has a good Football program and is known for its Lacrosse program. I'm actually in tune with the HS Football scene in NYS. So, if you want to know which programs to look into let me know. Here are a couple of sites that could get you started: Syracuse.com HS Football Forum

NYSSWA: New York State Sportswriters Association

Rochester has D1(RIT) and AHL Hockey teams, pro Soccer, AAA Baseball, semi pro Basketball and pro Lacrosse teams. Syracuse is only an hour/hour and 15 minutes away from Canandaigua and Buffalo is about an hour west. Auburn and Batavia also have minor league baseball minutes away. So, you have NFL and an ACC football team, an NHL team, a high level and 3 mid major D1 basketball programs nearby, 2 other AAA baseball teams, pro indoor soccer and other sports teams nearby.
Cool deal! Sounds like an area that could definitely work for me. Soccer and Lacrosse are both sports that I have just not had the opportunity to really watch and get into. I do watch soccer during the World Cup, and if I had any soccer teams near me I would not mind checking it out. Lacrosse has always seemed like a pretty cool sport, but I never went to school anywhere that had it, and it just isn't that big in the places I grew up (Unless you went to one of the ritzy private schools, which I most certainly did not).

The amount of baseball nearby is great for me though. Baseball is a sport I had originally planned to play in college, until I tore my shoulder up bad enough it ended those chances. Being in marketing, it could also be cool to be near those things, as I may eventually be able to work my way into one of the franchises.

Either way, looks like an area we would be interested in.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Cool deal! Sounds like an area that could definitely work for me. Soccer and Lacrosse are both sports that I have just not had the opportunity to really watch and get into. I do watch soccer during the World Cup, and if I had any soccer teams near me I would not mind checking it out. Lacrosse has always seemed like a pretty cool sport, but I never went to school anywhere that had it, and it just isn't that big in the places I grew up (Unless you went to one of the ritzy private schools, which I most certainly did not).

The amount of baseball nearby is great for me though. Baseball is a sport I had originally planned to play in college, until I tore my shoulder up bad enough it ended those chances. Being in marketing, it could also be cool to be near those things, as I may eventually be able to work my way into one of the franchises.

Also, for the misses, the Adirondack Mountains are about 2 and a half hours from Canandaigua. You also have the Catskills, Poconos and Enchanted Mountains within a few hours of there.

Another thing is that the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown is about 2 and a half hours away. You also have the Boxing Hall of Fame in Canastota just eastbound down the Thruway(I-90).

There is a ski area near Canadaigua in Bristol Mountain. There's also this live venue just outside of town: Welcome to CMAC Events | CMAC Events Same with Roseland Waterpark: Roseland Waterpark |

Old 12-17-2015, 02:12 PM

Some homes in the village of Lake George, which is 50 minutes to an hour north of Albany: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List=

It has the lake in the mountains setting which would fit what you and the misses both like.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...517d0e!6m1!1e1

It also has a lakeside beach and Glens Falls is only 15-20 minutes away. Glens Falls at least has AHL Hockey, semi pro football and a Collegiate Baseball League team: Skiing, swimming, fishing, canoeing, biking, baseball, football, hockey. All in Glens Falls, New York Glens Falls also hosts the Boys Public HS Basketball State Championships. It also has an amusement park in the Great Escape. Saratoga Springs is also only minutes away. To the north along Lake George is Ticonderoga, with Fort Ticonderoga, a historical site being located there. Ticonderoga Area Chamber of Commerce

Albany-Schenectady-Troy are all close enough and has AHL Hockey, D1 college sports and Class AA minor league baseball. Boston, Montreal and NYC are about 3 hours or so away as well.

Lake George - Official Guide to Lake George NY: Hotels, Restaurants, Vacations & More at LakeGeorge.com
EASY TO GET TO, EASY TO ENJOY | Lake George Area

Area bus system info: Great Glens Falls Transit

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-17-2015 at 02:49 PM..

Old 12-17-2015, 02:19 PM

988 posts, read 682,880 times
Quote:

I'm not sure what Mobile is like sports-wise, but I know that a lot of the south is college-oriented. If you're interested in sports marketing in upstate New York and you're into college sports, think Syracuse. The Orangemen are everything in that town. Not everyone in Syracuse is into sports, but those that are... I'm sure you get my drift.

Upstate N.Y. is really beautiful, and there are lakes, rivers, and ponds everywhere. You could almost decide where you wanted to live independent of being near a body of water, and not go too far wrong.

Best.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
I'm not sure what Mobile is like sports-wise, but I know that a lot of the south is college-oriented. If you're interested in sports marketing in upstate New York and you're into college sports, think Syracuse. The Orangemen are everything in that town. Not everyone in Syracuse is into sports, but those that are... I'm sure you get my drift.

Upstate N.Y. is really beautiful, and there are lakes, rivers, and ponds everywhere. You could almost decide where you wanted to live independent of being near a body of water, and not go too far wrong.

Best.
Oh, believe me, I get it! I am actually a University of Alabama fan. I know everyone has heard how crazy we are! I am not one of the crazy ones though. I follow my teams and all, but I am not one of the raving lunatics you hear about!

Here in the Mobile area, we have a few colleges with baseball, basketball, soccer, and one with D-1 football. We also have two minor league baseball teams, one in Mobile, one in Pensacola. Most everyone here is more into college than professional, at least when it comes to football. Of course we are also less than 2 hours from New Orleans and all it has to offer.

I do love college football, but my real passion when it comes to sports is baseball. I have always been a big Braves fan as for as baseball is concerned. I would not mind working at a University such as Syracuse though, as it would be cool to have my hand in several sports as opposed to just one. I have always heard you get great benefits and whatnot working at universities, which I do not have now, so I would definitely be willing to look into it.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:38 PM

988 posts, read 682,880 times
Quote:
Oh, believe me, I get it! I am actually a University of Alabama fan. I know everyone has heard how crazy we are! I am not one of the crazy ones though. I follow my teams and all, but I am not one of the raving lunatics you hear about!

Here in the Mobile area, we have a few colleges with baseball, basketball, soccer, and one with D-1 football. We also have two minor league baseball teams, one in Mobile, one in Pensacola. Most everyone here is more into college than professional, at least when it comes to football. Of course we are also less than 2 hours from New Orleans and all it has to offer.

I do love college football, but my real passion when it comes to sports is baseball. I have always been a big Braves fan as for as baseball is concerned. I would not mind working at a University such as Syracuse though, as it would be cool to have my hand in several sports as opposed to just one. I have always heard you get great benefits and whatnot working at universities, which I do not have now, so I would definitely be willing to look into it.
I used to live in Syracuse. It's a very livable town. If you can't find anything you like in the city, there are the usual nice suburbs and so on. It's not "best" of anything, but very livable, with some nice markets (Wegman's supermarket, a farmer's market in summer, etc.), good eateries and so on. The winters are long, but I liked them. My wife, on the other hand, well, let's just say she's not a cold weather person. And I was the one who did all the shoveling!

Apart from Syracuse football and basketball (<- which is a big deal!), there's a nice little baseball stadium. I believe it is the Toronto Blue Jays AAA affiliate. EDIT: Looks like they're the Washington Nationals AAA affiliate now. It's been a while since I lived there! Sorry.

I love to fish and there is just tons of cool water in upstate New York within an hour drive of Syracuse. I had a few nice little bass ponds that had big pickerel in them too, I used to catch good bass on a fly rod, and a few streams I fished, one of which was a self-sustaining brown trout fishery with numbers and a few with good size. There are HUGE trout that run up rivers from Lake Ontario, 15--20 lbs. and more. I never got into that fishery too much, but if I had lived there longer, I would have.

And if you like the college-town atmosphere, you've got that for sure, especially on game days.

Last edited by unwillingphoenician; 12-17-2015 at 04:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.