Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is North Carolina the most well-ballanced state of the U.S.?
Yes 13 18.84%
No 56 81.16%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 06:53 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times

Advertisements

In some respects I would say that NC is "balanced" in that the three major metro areas (Charlotte, Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point, and Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) are all pretty much the same size. However, they're also fairly close together and are growing towards each other. Pretty soon they'll blend to become one megalopolis, meaning the central part of NC will be fairly urban and the rest of the state will remain pretty rural. In my book that doesn't constitute being "balanced."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 08:10 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Believe me - I am a native North Carolinian and we wish people would quit touting how great it is here. It ain't that great these days b/c we have had this huge influx of transplants. Our taxes are going up and in a few years, they will be as high as the places people are fleeing from.

We call it the Great Northeast Migration . . . and we are pretty worn out w/ it here. People are coming here w/o jobs and the situations are not good.

So anyone who is thinking about moving here . . . please have a job first. Our infrastructures are being strained. We are not recruiting anyone to this state. We would just as soon everyone stay where they are, LOL, unless they are moving here w/ a job or to establish a business.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:34 PM

120 posts, read 461,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
I could say the same thing about North Carolina for different reasons, as could many others on this forum, so don't be so sure of yourself.
I know I shouldn't have said that without a reason but I have lived in North Carolina and Ohio, and I can not remember one decent thing about that state sorry for my biasism!! (sp?)

Old 02-04-2008, 08:56 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Well I definitely think it's the most beautiful state

Old 02-04-2008, 09:03 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Well I definitely think it's the most beautiful state
No question about it, North Carolina has some amazingly beautiful beaches and also some spectacular mountains. As far as cities go, I think Winston-Salem is a jewel.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:00 PM

217 posts, read 879,205 times
Well the only thing I can say is that North Carolina has been pretty good to some of my relatives who couldn't find work back in New York. It seems like alot of the people she meets are from upstate NY or the NYC region. My sister moved there before it became so popular though and she does not like the increased traffic and the attitudes of some the newer residents. Other than that, she likes it there.

But the state does seem to spread out pretty evenly, just like Ohio. There are some rural areas in NC and OH, but most are not far from some kind of city. While Ohio is nice, North Carolina is more scenic to drive across, especially in the western parts.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:23 AM

122 posts, read 479,729 times
Not all us Yankees want a cheap, big house. I want a nice small house that's well built. Something with a front porch to wave hello to all the neighbors walking by. Willing to become Southern in all ways, but forget about sweet tea!
An insight to the "big, cheap housing mentally" in Jersey. Housing prices are out of sight here even with the housing bust. Lots of us natives cannot afford to buy a house today if we didn't buy one 30 something years ago. We also also pay the highest property taxes in the nation.
Basically we are being pushed out.
So we get a little crazy when we read the real estate books.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:40 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
I think Ohio is very balanced. So is North Carolina. We have cities spread out all over our states. But people are also forgeting about Florida. Jacksonville, Tampa, Orlando, Miami all spread out across the state.

All three states have some great cities. The three with their largest cities are doing well. Charlotte, Jacksonville and Columbus are all growing at good rates. Jacksonville and Columbus keep moving up in the national rankings, getting closer and closer to the top 10. Jacksonville looks to pass up Indianapolis and Columbus looks to pass up San Francisco.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:42 PM

893 posts, read 791,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
No question about it, North Carolina has some amazingly beautiful beaches and also some spectacular mountains. As far as cities go, I think Winston-Salem is a jewel.
I love Winston Salem

Old 02-05-2008, 04:50 PM

893 posts, read 791,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Believe me - I am a native North Carolinian and we wish people would quit touting how great it is here. It ain't that great these days b/c we have had this huge influx of transplants. Our taxes are going up and in a few years, they will be as high as the places people are fleeing from.

We call it the Great Northeast Migration . . . and we are pretty worn out w/ it here. People are coming here w/o jobs and the situations are not good.

So anyone who is thinking about moving here . . . please have a job first. Our infrastructures are being strained. We are not recruiting anyone to this state. We would just as soon everyone stay where they are, LOL, unless they are moving here w/ a job or to establish a business.
I am with you. All the northerners should move back north too. Sorry if I offended anyone. After being in the north 6 months I only want to be around real southerners. Once I've moved back south I will never come back up here due to my present home state forum. People from this state think southerners are still runnning around barefoot and are all stupid. Iowan by birth, southern by the grace of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.