Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Phoenix and/or Las Vegas "the west coast"?
Yes 130 31.40%
No 284 68.60%
Voters: 414. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:12 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick754 View Post
Where did I ever say that I thought Phoenix is a west coast city ? I won't blame your lack of reading comprehension on the Illinois schools though, I'm sure it's just you.
You dont have to say PHX is a west coast city directly, but your reasoning for Philly as being a coastal city is as silly as calling PHX a west coast city, catch my drift? Lets examine a bit here, shall we?

Did you not state that since Philly has a port that it is considered a "east coast" city (even though its not on the Atlantic)? Yes you did, you clearly stated "you better tell the people that run the Port of Philadelphia, one of the busiest container ports on the east coast that they're not an east coast state." If Philly/PA is a coastal city/state, as it is in your eyes, then by your logic PHX could be considered a west coast city due to its proximity to the Pacific Ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,512 times
I live in Phoenix. It's a six and one half hour drive to the beach if one makes good time. I don't consider Phoenix to be "West Coast." Six months of the year the temps are over 100 degrees, unmoderated by the pacific. A few years ago we spent a week at the beach in San Diego in August and found it chilly by comparison.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:28 PM

172 posts, read 252,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
You dont have to say PHX is a west coast city directly, but your reasoning for Philly as being a coastal city is as silly as calling PHX a west coast city, catch my drift? Lets examine a bit here, shall we?

Did you not state that since Philly has a port that it is considered a "east coast" city (even though its not on the Atlantic)? Yes you did, you clearly stated "you better tell the people that run the Port of Philadelphia, one of the busiest container ports on the east coast that they're not an east coast state." If Philly/PA is a coastal city/state, as it is in your eyes, then by your logic PHX could be considered a west coast city due to its proximity to the Pacific Ocean.
You would make an awful attorney. Don't try to mask your lack of reading comprehension with nonsense like this.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:01 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times
These are what I would consider west coast cities: L.A., San Diego, San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle. Portland is a bit iffy since it is about 50 miles inland, but the Columbia River, which runs right through downtown, empties into the ocean. Seattle is about 75 miles "inland" from the coast, but it is right on Puget Sound, which is a massive natural harbor directly connected to the Pacific. Sacramento is about 150 miles from the coast, and does not have any waterways connecting it to the ocean. Pheonix and LV are inland desert cities that have no resemblance to their west coast counterparts.

Last edited by toughguy; 02-05-2008 at 01:33 PM..

Old 02-05-2008, 01:26 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
Umm...no? Who would do that? Las Vegas and Phoenix are the Desert Southwest. The West Coast is Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle. How can you call Pittsburgh the east coast when it's over 200 miles away from there? Pittsburgh is just the Northeast. The East Coast is Miami, Daytona Beach, Savannah, Charleston, Raleigh, Hampton Roads, D.C., Baltimore, Wilmington, Philadelphia, New York, Hartford, Providence, Boston, Portland, etc.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:36 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick754 View Post
You would make an awful attorney
And your complete lack of decent debate skills, non-confrontational/easy-way-out responses and your contradictions would make you a good attorney? lol

I give up.

Back on topic.... no, PHX and LV are not west coast cities.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:58 PM

20 posts, read 93,032 times
I'm not sure I would say that Phoenix or Las Vegas are west coast cities. Geographically they are west, but not coastal west. They are both desert cities at heart. I have spent limited time in Las Vegas so I cannot give a real intelligent account of my opinion. For the few weeks that I have stayed there though, Vegas was a very hard city to describe. In many ways it seemd VERY futuristic, and stylish. I don't gamble myself, but I found the restaurants to be just as good with many that I have eaten at on the east coast, and there was just a vibe about that made it seem 100% fake, but at the same time, 100% original. If that makes any sense. So, IMO, LV is just to hard to clasify and compare. It is such a world wide icon, that the only thing that it resembles, is itself in the end.

Phoenix metro on the other hand, is purely a western desert city at heart, but there is no doubt that the large amount of California, and midwestern transplants has changed the city forever. In the end I think most midwesterners have seen the glamorized version of Cali for years, and once they move to Phoenix are more willing to adopt to their new Cali neighbor's west coast way of life. Phoenix's residents, at least to me, came off as very west coast. It isn't as if Phoenix is a duplicate of LA or San Diego, but the comparision between S. Cali and Phoenix is much easier, than S. Cali to lets say a Philly for example.

I guess in the end my opinion is that while both are western cities, LV is too 'different' to give any label to, and Phoenix, while it resembles S. Cali in many ways, is still its own city with its own feel. IMO, neither is west coast no matter how hard you try to justify it.

Last edited by SC Valley; 02-05-2008 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-05-2008, 02:08 PM

401 posts, read 2,605,130 times
What defines "west coast"? Is it sitting right on the Pacific Ocean? If thats so then everyone knows the answer to this question - obviously no. But if its mountains, palm trees, sunglasses, pools, and cookie cutter neighborhoods then Phoenix and Las Vegas qualify in a certain aspect. Phoenix and Vegas may sit in the desert but are not "old west desert towns". If you wanna see that then check out Tucson. Temperatures aside, they both have similiar aspects to that of true west coast cities such as LA and San Diego. Sunshine, wealthy people, expensive cars and cribs, palm trees etc... But if you just consider the west coast as coastal California cities then what does that make of Palm Springs, Bakersfield, Fresno etc.....? I say you could make an argument either way for Phoenix and Vegas being west coast

Old 02-05-2008, 02:40 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
What defines "west coast"? Is it sitting right on the Pacific Ocean? If thats so then everyone knows the answer to this question - obviously no. But if its mountains, palm trees, sunglasses, pools, and cookie cutter neighborhoods then Phoenix and Las Vegas qualify in a certain aspect. Phoenix and Vegas may sit in the desert but are not "old west desert towns". If you wanna see that then check out Tucson. Temperatures aside, they both have similiar aspects to that of true west coast cities such as LA and San Diego. Sunshine, wealthy people, expensive cars and cribs, palm trees etc... But if you just consider the west coast as coastal California cities then what does that make of Palm Springs, Bakersfield, Fresno etc.....? I say you could make an argument either way for Phoenix and Vegas being west coast
The west coast runs north all the way to Canada. The west coast is not just simply California.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:05 PM

172 posts, read 252,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I give up.
You should have given up prior to posting this embarassing nonsense about Philadelphia being no more of a coastal city than Phoenix.

Quote:
your reasoning for Philly as being a coastal city is as silly as calling PHX a west coast city, catch my drift?
Ever heard of the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard Steve-O ?

Philadelphia Naval Shipyard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.