Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Phoenix and/or Las Vegas "the west coast"?
Yes 130 31.40%
No 284 68.60%
Voters: 414. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:10 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times

Advertisements

The key word in this thread is "COAST". Are Phoenix and Vegas coastal cities? Unless youre retarded, the answer is NO. Theyre desert southwest cities, plain and simple. And bad ones at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
I voted yes, because IMO, I don't think a state has to technically touch an ocean. Pennsylvania, West Virginia nor Vermont technically touch the Atlantic ocean, but they are considered the East Coast. I think a better measurement would be by distance to the ocean. Las Vegas and Phoenix are within 4-6 hours from the coast, just like many east coast cities which are inland, but still consider "east coast" like Charlotte, Atlanta, or Pittsburgh.
PA, WV and VT are NOT east coast states, theyre EASTERN/NORTH EASTERN states. Places like NY, MA, SC, NC, etc, etc are east coast states. How can you put the word "coast" next to some states that have no coast whatsoever?

Old 02-04-2008, 09:35 PM

172 posts, read 252,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
PA, WV and VT are NOT east coast states, theyre EASTERN/NORTH EASTERN states. Places like NY, MA, SC, NC, etc, etc are east coast states. How can you put the word "coast" next to some states that have no coast whatsoever?
You better tell the people that run the Port of Philadelphia, one of the busiest container ports on the east coast that they're not an east coast state.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:37 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,067,466 times
I dont consider Phoenix or Vegas as west coast cities. Its more south west to me, like NM or TX. West coast, is truly only coastal cities for me, like Los Angeles or San Francisco. If Arizona and Nevada are considered on the west coast, then is Idaho considered west coast as well because its next to a coastal state? Definitely not.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:35 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
If there is no coast, it is not a coastal state.

For example, Vermont is a northeastern state, or a New England state, but not an East Coast state.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick754 View Post
You better tell the people that run the Port of Philadelphia, one of the busiest container ports on the east coast that they're not an east coast state.
Its not on the Atlantic, its a frickin freshwater port. Does that make Chicago a coastal city too? If so, what would you classify the Great Lakes cities as, "mid coast states"?

PHX and LV are NOT west coast cities, simple as that.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Its not on the Atlantic, its a frickin freshwater port. Does that make Chicago a coastal city too? If so, what would you classify the Great Lakes cities as, "mid coast states"?

PHX and LV are NOT west coast cities, simple as that.
Trying to argue that Philadelphia is not an east coast city is even dumber than trying to argue that Phoenix is a west coast city. congratulations.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:20 AM

699 posts, read 2,236,737 times
"Coast" in this context may take on a cultural definition rather than a geographic one, but there is a limit on how far a city or area should be inland for it to be associated with a coast.

Phoenix and Las Vegas are more than 250 miles away from a coast.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick754 View Post
Trying to argue that Philadelphia is not an east coast city is even dumber than trying to argue that Phoenix is a west coast city. congratulations.
What part of COAST dont you understand? PHX and Vegas are not coastal cities, period.

Philly is a eastern city. Simple to understand, isnt it?

Old 02-05-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
What part of COAST dont you understand? PHX and Vegas are not coastal cities, period. I know AZ has the worst rated schools in the USA and all, but DANG! Do they not teach you this stuff?????????

Philly is a eastern city. Simple to understand, isnt it?
Where did I ever say that I thought Phoenix is a west coast city ? I won't blame your lack of reading comprehension on the Illinois schools though, I'm sure it's just you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.