Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 01:04 PM

4,511 posts, read 4,043,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
OMG.. that is hilarious .. never heard anyone discribing Bostonians as "quiet" lol
It's like walking around in a body snatchers movie there. Faneuil Hall was loaded with people but it felt like if we had a normal volumed conversation we'd have offended the locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 02:26 PM

822 posts, read 857,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
It's like walking around in a body snatchers movie there. Faneuil Hall was loaded with people but it felt like if we had a normal volumed conversation we'd have offended the locals.

lol..what day was that on? .. That is one of Boston's busiest tourist attractions, and really not populated by locals .. Bostonians are not known for their quiet conversations and demure personalities lol.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:16 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Ha, was it a day when the Red Sox lost a big game? The quietest yet packed full train I ever rode was on such a day, and yes Fenway was on that line. DEAD SILENT inside that train. No other time remotely resembled that day. Faces were glum like everybody had had a death in the family.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:44 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Seattle.

SF has had an influx of tech geeks, but, it and its culture still seem to be more outgoing and socially inclined. Even my most die-hard Seattle-supporting friend, who was my roommate when I lived there in 08-09, moved back to LA last week because she couldn't stand the socially-avoidant, awkward social culture there after years of defending it.

I've never been to Alaska, but most of the people I met from Anchorage seemed to have a very different way of socializing from people in the lower 48.

And, anyone who says that Boston is "socially awkward" or "quiet" is nuts. And if you are talking about "offending locals" at Fanieul Hall... well, you do realize that most of the locals there are behind a cash register, right? It's a big tourist area.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:39 AM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Berkeley California has to win this one. People with no social skills whatsoever outside of political angst and borderline/actual mental illness.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:49 AM

29 posts, read 35,094 times
Impossible to answer, because this depends on lifestyle more than location. Generally speaking though, I found a lot of people in San Francisco to have poor social skills.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:49 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,956 times
Washington DC.

A lot of extremely well-educated young nerds whose main goal in life is to make partner in a prestigious law firm or become a pundit on agricultural subsidies or something like that. Most have little experience outside of college and their jobs as bureaucratic cogs in the wheel so they can be extremely boring to talk to yet they are arrogant as all get out.

Atlanta, Ga

It's like a grown up version of high school. I've never lived in a place where social cliques and the image that goes along with them is so important. Take the stupid OTP/ITP divide for instance. Since it's THE big city of the south, a lot the misfits and freaks from southern small towns move there and they bring that snootiness with them.

Old 10-30-2021, 01:23 AM

4 posts, read 1,654 times
I'm going with the San Fran/Portland/Seattle triad. I notice it's been spreading to L.A. too now. D.C. also seems off when I go over there. Can the trend even reverse itself now??

Old 10-31-2021, 06:44 PM

824 posts, read 712,695 times
Socially awkward places for me would be places where you feel awkward for being out in the city, walking around. Places where taking public transport is considered something only poor people do and there’s not a lot of lively areas, people would much rather go to a shopping mall than downtown, etc.

Old 10-31-2021, 07:05 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
Socially awkward places for me would be places where you feel awkward for being out in the city, walking around. Places where taking public transport is considered something only poor people do and there’s not a lot of lively areas, people would much rather go to a shopping mall than downtown, etc.
I can't imagine a city where being out in public is awkward. Also, public transit is seen as such, even in New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.