Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2021, 07:57 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
By socially awkward, I think I'm getting at things like people not wanting to talk to each other in public (think Manhattan and the NYC subway).
Heck, not talking to people on public transit is staying safe, not being socially awkward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2021, 01:07 AM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
The Manhattan transplant from somewhere else who revolves there personality on NYC. CRINGE and AWKWARD. Real New Yorkers hate you as much as I do. Also that $60 meal in Hells Kitchen is $14 in Flushing and is twice as good. Smh go away

The Seaport Bro dude in Boston. Like dude you cannot hold a conversation for longer than a minute if its not about you. Where are you from again… Colombus?

The Tech bro from Seattle. I said hi to him 6 minutes ago and he hasnt even looked up.

The family from Danville VA. Is Danville a cult?

Old 11-01-2021, 01:40 AM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Redmond makes Seattle look suave and charismatic. I'm pretty awkward IRL but even I cringed talking to people at my old office there. Just did not know how to talk about anything besides PC gaming and metal bands. I mentioned having a PITA commute to Redmond because I wanted to live in the city for the social opportunities, and they looked at me like I was a Zapotec war god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
The Tech bro from Seattle. I said hi to him 6 minutes ago and he hasnt even looked up.
My bad. I was surfing City-Data

Old 11-01-2021, 03:16 AM

824 posts, read 712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I can't imagine a city where being out in public is awkward. Also, public transit is seen as such, even in New York.
While maybe not larger metros, but I've been to a bunch of smaller metros where you barely see people out walking besides homeless people, and I guess there is that stereotype about public transport, but in places like Boston, Chicago, NYC, you see lots of different people taking public transport from all different social classes, in most other smaller metros that aren't college towns, basically no one takes public besides those who desperately need to.

Old 11-01-2021, 05:39 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
I am not going to specify one city as I’ve run into social awkwardness in MANY cities. Following are examples:

The guy walking towards me on the street who insists on taking the 1 inch between me and the wall to my right when he has 7 feet to his right. I did not do well in Physics but know if I walk on my right and you walk on your right, we won’t bump into each other.

The stranger who takes the treadmill right next to me at the gym when there are 12 others available. (This also applies to public bathroom stalls—talking stalls, not urinals.)

The other solo diner who takes the table in front of me and insists on sitting facing me rather than their back towards me.

The moron who insists on getting on an elevator or entering an establishment before letting me off or exiting.

The newest trend is people coughing and not making an effort to cover their mouth.

Old 11-01-2021, 05:41 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
The words "Boston" and "quiet people" are words I've never heard used in a sentence together. Ever.
I’m picturing “Yankees suck!” chants at Fenway Park. LOL.

Old 11-01-2021, 06:24 AM

3,575 posts, read 3,075,384 times
The Clear Lake City area of Houston, heavily populated with engineers (awkward by nature) with a significant proportion originally from the Midwest (basically the opposite of outgoing Texans and NYers). Every conversation felt like the other person was somewhere "on the spectrum" (and they probably were).

Old 11-01-2021, 11:16 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
While maybe not larger metros, but I've been to a bunch of smaller metros where you barely see people out walking besides homeless people, and I guess there is that stereotype about public transport, but in places like Boston, Chicago, NYC, you see lots of different people taking public transport from all different social classes, in most other smaller metros that aren't college towns, basically no one takes public besides those who desperately need to.
Yeah but is it awkward? My hometown is like that but I wouldn't call it awkward.
Yeah those cities are better with transit but I would imagine most people way out in Queens or Staten Island don't like taking the train or bus if they could have a car. I've heard the black community in New York is like this, seeing as their neighborhoods probably get less investment from the MTA.

Old 11-02-2021, 10:16 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
It's like walking around in a body snatchers movie there. Faneuil Hall was loaded with people but it felt like if we had a normal volumed conversation we'd have offended the locals.
I had someone from Chicago who visited Boston tell me this same thing.

Old 11-02-2021, 11:03 AM

7,079 posts, read 8,941,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
The words "Boston" and "quiet people" are words I've never heard used in a sentence together. Ever.
I have 6 cousins from Boston and I think the Samuel Adams commercials are hysterical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.