Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 09:33 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,922,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
I certainly wouldn't put Seattle above Boston.
It was a hard choice between Seattle and Boston for 10 spot. Now that I think about it Boston is probably more important.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:42 AM

936 posts, read 3,190,345 times
sorry jluke, i wasnt referring to u. i was talking to someone else -- lol @ sweetclimber! the biggest port is actually long beach, by a mile. houston is in top 10 at best, but pleeeeeeeease, if ur gonna start a thread and include your city in the top 5 just to be pretentious, try not to make it so obvious.

alright, so yes, i think even infant children in Bangladesh know that houston is the energy capital of the world. and for that, it's no surprise that the region has so many damn fortune 500 companies, most are related to energy. important, YES! however, most of the jobs in the industry are grotesquely blue collar, it's no wonder houston is so affordable. you know, houston has a lot of jobs, i admit, but some things are not about quantity, but quality, and speaking of quality, i must add that the quality of air in houston is WORSE than L.A./Riverside!!!

P.S... how many katrina victims decided to stay in houston? i bet a lot! my condolences! also, next time the citizens of your city escape a hurricane, i hope they don't forget to bring extra oil; for crying out loud, out of all people in the world, u would think houstonians would have known that!!!

Old 02-08-2008, 02:04 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,566,216 times
I can't post links???

Wow, how annoying is that?
Anyways: "Wikipedia""Global City"

My list....

Seattle, WA
Austin, TX
San Antonio, TX
Madison, WI
Eureka, CA

Because I have lived at these places and have friends and family at these places
they are very important to me.

Last edited by brubaker; 02-08-2008 at 02:13 AM..

Old 02-08-2008, 05:20 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
sorry jluke, i wasnt referring to u. i was talking to someone else -- lol @ sweetclimber! the biggest port is actually long beach, by a mile. houston is in top 10 at best, but pleeeeeeeease, if ur gonna start a thread and include your city in the top 5 just to be pretentious, try not to make it so obvious.

alright, so yes, i think even infant children in Bangladesh know that houston is the energy capital of the world. and for that, it's no surprise that the region has so many damn fortune 500 companies, most are related to energy. important, YES! however, most of the jobs in the industry are grotesquely blue collar, it's no wonder houston is so affordable. you know, houston has a lot of jobs, i admit, but some things are not about quantity, but quality, and speaking of quality, i must add that the quality of air in houston is WORSE than L.A./Riverside!!!

P.S... how many katrina victims decided to stay in houston? i bet a lot! my condolences! also, next time the citizens of your city escape a hurricane, i hope they don't forget to bring extra oil; for crying out loud, out of all people in the world, u would think houstonians would have known that!!!
If you are going to bash a city at least get your facts straight. Look in the latest almanac, Houston's port is busier than LA/ Long Beach, also the air quality is worse in that area still. Sorry the liberal media has misled you on Houston, a city you have probably never even been to.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:35 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
If you are going to bash a city at least get your facts straight. Look in the latest almanac, Houston's port is busier than LA/ Long Beach, also the air quality is worse in that area still. Sorry the liberal media has misled you on Houston, a city you have probably never even been to.
Why would the "liberal media" have a vendetta against Houston? Is it because they have something against US Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee?

Old 02-08-2008, 07:24 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Why would the "liberal media" have a vendetta against Houston? Is it because they have something against US Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee?
It isn't just Houston, alot of people bash Atlanta, Dallas and the rest of the South. They think (as do their followers ie certain posters on this site) that cities in the South/South central US can't be world players, that they are backward and uncultured etc. The cities of Atlanta, Houston and Dallas are all easy top 10 for their importance today.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:40 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
It isn't just Houston, alot of people bash Atlanta, Dallas and the rest of the South. They think (as do their followers ie certain posters on this site) that cities in the South/South central US can't be world players, that they are backward and uncultured etc. The cities of Atlanta, Houston and Dallas are all easy top 10 for their importance today.
Yes sweetclimber, Those 3 southern cities are world players and will only get more important. You just have to understand our position-Houstonians come on here and fluff up their city, pretending its top 5. Of course, Houston is top 10, as are Dallas and Atlanta. In fact, I'd say these 3 cities have at least equaled if not surpassed places like Philly, Boston, Detroit, etc. They haven't passed NYC, LA, Chicago, D.C., or San Francisco yet so how could they be top 5?

The South is a very important region though, I dont think anyone is denying that. Even if you include D.C. in the northeast I'd put the South as #2.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:42 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
I can't post links???

Wow, how annoying is that?
Anyways: "Wikipedia""Global City"

My list....

Seattle, WA
Austin, TX
San Antonio, TX
Madison, WI
Eureka, CA

Because I have lived at these places and have friends and family at these places
they are very important to me.
Welcome to the forum. lol nice list, even though the thread said "to the US".
It's a good point though, a city is most important to those that live in it, no matter if its NYC or Tulsa.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:15 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Yes sweetclimber, Those 3 southern cities are world players and will only get more important. You just have to understand our position-Houstonians come on here and fluff up their city, pretending its top 5. Of course, Houston is top 10, as are Dallas and Atlanta. In fact, I'd say these 3 cities have at least equaled if not surpassed places like Philly, Boston, Detroit, etc. They haven't passed NYC, LA, Chicago, D.C., or San Francisco yet so how could they be top 5?

The South is a very important region though, I dont think anyone is denying that. Even if you include D.C. in the northeast I'd put the South as #2.
I think decafdave summed it up the best!

Old 02-08-2008, 11:50 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,566,216 times
Whoops!
Sorry about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.