Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 07:05 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
You can roll your eyes as much as you want but that does not change the fact that areas with brutal winters have issues just as places with brutal summers do.

To act as if your daughters area is indicative of areas that have brutal winters all the time when you yourself have said that the NYC area does not have brutal winters really does nothing to bolster your argument.

In addition, by stating that some people probably went to the beach weakens your claims more. If those were brutal days would people be out enjoying them?
eliminated all snow makeup days. THAT is what we are talking about - makeup days, FREEBIES so to speak. If it snowed enough to close the schools, those days HAD TO BE MADE UP either during Spring break, or at the end of the school year. Because in past years, if school was not closed for snow (happened many times), they tacked those days (like these hurricane makeup days) onto Spring break. Staff was taking LONG vacations. Guess WHERE???? The taxpapers were furious about that and their money being wasted for no reason at all. I guess the Florida taxpapers don't care? Any reason to not work and go to a beach is worth their money? I suppose I shouldn't complain. I've used my hurricane makeup days for a nice vacation too, just not in this state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 09:26 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
The school district where I worked on LI eliminated all snow makeup days. THAT is what we are talking about - makeup days, FREEBIES so to speak. If it snowed enough to close the schools, those days HAD TO BE MADE UP either during Spring break, or at the end of the school year. Because in past years, if school was not closed for snow (happened many times), they tacked those days (like these hurricane makeup days) onto Spring break. Staff was taking LONG vacations. Guess WHERE???? The taxpapers were furious about that and their money being wasted for no reason at all. I guess the Florida taxpapers don't care? Any reason to not work and go to a beach is worth their money? I suppose I shouldn't complain. I've used my hurricane makeup days for a nice vacation too, just not in this state.
Do your posts ever follow a steady stream of thought? I only ask because I always have trouble following them.

Make up days were not once mentioned in this thread until, surprise, you just said that was what was being talked about.

So let me get this straight. LI and NYC never waste taxpayer dollars but the entire state of Florida just squanders every cent. I'll file that bit of knowledge away with the other useful tidbits you supply.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:43 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
So let me get this straight. LI and NYC never waste taxpayer dollars but the entire state of Florida just squanders every cent.
Just look at the condition of Florida, its a disaster. If they get a large hurricane this year they are toast.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Just look at the condition of Florida, its a disaster. If they get a large hurricane this year they are toast.
That's funny. According to The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities the top 10 Most Broke States include NY, NJ and Connecticut but Florida is not on that list.

The Top 10 States With Worst Budget Problems - ABC News

Here is another study that has NY and NJ in the top ten worst budget situations for 2010.

Which states are facing the worst budget deficits in 2010? / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com

Surprise, surprise. This one shows Florida with one of the smallest budget gaps.

Recession Continues to Batter State Budgets; State Responses Could Slow Recovery — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Of course just about all states are in bad shape right now but just trying to add some facts to the mix here.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:02 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Quote:
Kinda like whats going on in the northeast with the blizzards.

Snowed-In States Plowing Through Budgets - CBS Evening News - CBS News

Old 02-26-2010, 10:08 PM

Florida is doing great,lol.

Unemployment Rates for States

Old 02-26-2010, 10:08 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times
Brutal winters are worse, by far.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:

And NY and NJ are in fine shape?

It is a recession, there are only 11 states under 7% unemployment.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:14 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Quote:

We are talking about which season is worse. The link I posted was a downfall of the northern winters. The link you posted has nothing to do with the topic. Stop trolling threads, and trying to start off topic arguments about FL and the Northeast.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
That's funny. According to The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities the top 10 Most Broke States include NY, NJ and Connecticut but Florida is not on that list.

The Top 10 States With Worst Budget Problems - ABC News

Here is another study that has NY and NJ in the top ten worst budget situations for 2010.

Which states are facing the worst budget deficits in 2010? / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com

Surprise, surprise. This one shows Florida with one of the smallest budget gaps.

Recession Continues to Batter State Budgets; State Responses Could Slow Recovery — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Of course just about all states are in bad shape right now but just trying to add some facts to the mix here.
You do realize that Florida is subsidized by the federal government? Florida is a strain on America. This hurricane season will seal Florida's fate. Yea hurricane weather is just great.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/UserFiles/Image/Blog/ftsbs-large.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.