Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 09:11 AM

25 posts, read 67,795 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am facing a sizable dilemma and would appreciate any assistance which could be offered.

I am originally from the east coast, and moved out and lived in the bay area california for 3 years. I'm coming back primarily to be closer to home and family and the things about the east coast that i love. Amazingly enough this includes the weather! However, there are some things in the bay area which I've come to truly love and I'm hoping to find somewhere in the northeast/midatlantic which contains enough of them for me to finally be able to truly call somewhere a home again.

Here is what I'm looking for:

For work reasons, I need to be in or near to a metropolitan area.

I'm open to the northeast and midatlantic. Ideal is between NYC and Washington, but I'd consider further for the right spot.

I NEED the place to be liberal, especially socially. I want a town/neighborhood which is lgbt friendly, and known for it.

I do not want pretentiousness. I don't care if my neighbor drives a BMW and I'd prefer it to be a non-issue. I'd love most a place where a starving artist and an affluent CEO can be friends, sit down and have coffee, and this would be normal. Preferably, the town/area would not be specifically one age group, i.e, i don't want only young professionals, or only families, or only elderly retirees. When I have a family I want them to grow up in a place which has all sorts and exposes them to those parts of the community, but is not downtown NYC.

I want this to exist in a more suburban option when I'm done with living downtown/ in the big city, i.e., to raise a family and have a big backyard to garden in

I'd like the more suburban option to NOT be cookie cutter. What I would love is an older more historic town which has victorian/edwardian or craftsman style homes, colorful if possible. (ala San Francisco and Berkeley/Oakland) Parks would be nice too

I'd like it if I'd occasionally see someone with purple hair, and this would not be shocking.

Good non chain coffee shops/ bookstores / pubs / etc...

I do not need the entire region I live in to be like this, as that simply isn't possible, but just a town or part of a town somewhere would be wonderful.

I suppose what I want is a bastion of bay area lifestyle/thought in the midst of the east coast that I love dearly.

In summation, a Bohemian/Eclectic neighborhood where all sorts are welcomed, and it's possible to have a big green backyard with a garden.

Thank you all!!!

P.S. Cost is not an issue

Last edited by christina0001; 02-09-2008 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: cross-posting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 09:24 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,612,425 times
I think your perfect town would be either be Lambertville on the NJ side or "New Hope" on the PA side. Very old towns with alot of starving artists : )). New Hope is an Old Hippie Town and Very GLBT Friendly - not too far from Philly or NYC and it attracts alot of visitors in the spring and summer months. I love New Hope -as a matter of fact, I'm heading there tomorrow : ) Try google ing Lambertville and or New Hope and I'm sure you will find that it's exactly what you are seeking : )

Old 02-09-2008, 09:30 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,495,633 times
montclair NJ...all your criteria is right there

Old 02-09-2008, 09:31 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
Jamaica Plain, Boston comes to mind. There are some incredible, huge houses even though it is in a metropolitan area and on public transportation as well. I think it has a sizable gay/lesbian population, plenty of artists and other professionals and some great eats. I imagine googling it would provide additional info.

Guess this is not exactly between NYC and Washington but it came to mind so thought I would mention it.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:53 AM

271 posts, read 995,958 times
The only possibility, and it won't fit all your criteria, that I can think of in Delaware might be the Village of Arden (and environs). Check the website(s).

I haven't been in the vicinity for many years, but I've heard that area is still much the same.

It would be near the Wilmington-Newark sprawl, which is one of the reasons we've never sought to live in the area, and also near Philadelphia. The roads--I-95, etc., in that area make me crazy, but you may well be used to this, given where you're currently located.

Good luck.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:10 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,312,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccb138 View Post
Hello all,

I am facing a sizable dilemma and would appreciate any assistance which could be offered.

I am originally from the east coast, and moved out and lived in the bay area california for 3 years. I'm coming back primarily to be closer to home and family and the things about the east coast that i love. Amazingly enough this includes the weather! However, there are some things in the bay area which I've come to truly love and I'm hoping to find somewhere in the northeast/midatlantic which contains enough of them for me to finally be able to truly call somewhere a home again.

Here is what I'm looking for:

For work reasons, I need to be in or near to a metropolitan area.

I'm open to the northeast and midatlantic. Ideal is between NYC and Washington, but I'd consider further for the right spot.

I NEED the place to be liberal, especially socially. I want a town/neighborhood which is lgbt friendly, and known for it.

I do not want pretentiousness. I don't care if my neighbor drives a BMW and I'd prefer it to be a non-issue. I'd love most a place where a starving artist and an affluent CEO can be friends, sit down and have coffee, and this would be normal. Preferably, the town/area would not be specifically one age group, i.e, i don't want only young professionals, or only families, or only elderly retirees. When I have a family I want them to grow up in a place which has all sorts and exposes them to those parts of the community, but is not downtown NYC.

I want this to exist in a more suburban option when I'm done with living downtown/ in the big city, i.e., to raise a family and have a big backyard to garden in

I'd like the more suburban option to NOT be cookie cutter. What I would love is an older more historic town which has victorian/edwardian or craftsman style homes, colorful if possible. (ala San Francisco and Berkeley/Oakland) Parks would be nice too

I'd like it if I'd occasionally see someone with purple hair, and this would not be shocking.

Good non chain coffee shops/ bookstores / pubs / etc...

I do not need the entire region I live in to be like this, as that simply isn't possible, but just a town or part of a town somewhere would be wonderful.

I suppose what I want is a bastion of bay area lifestyle/thought in the midst of the east coast that I love dearly.

In summation, a Bohemian/Eclectic neighborhood where all sorts are welcomed, and it's possible to have a big green backyard with a garden.

Thank you all!!!

P.S. Cost is not an issue
I'd shoot for NJ.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:35 AM

127 posts, read 490,313 times
Check out New Hope, PA. Very cool!

Old 02-09-2008, 12:57 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,878,911 times
Further north and smaller, but Portland Maine might work for you.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:51 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,371,883 times
You want hippy neighborhoods?

Ithaca, NY
New Hope, PA/Lawrenceville, NJ

Montclair, NJ more wealthy Yuppies than Hippies, but the same vibe I guess.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:31 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,602,502 times
Takoma Park, Maryland--"the Berkeley of the east"

Takoma Park, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.