Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 08:16 AM

11,061 posts, read 12,456,973 times

Advertisements

I mean, the USA shares English which is huge. We can all very easily understand each other in our shared native tongue. This is not the case in Europe. Even if they all speak English, it is the native tongue of only the Brits and irish. Europe is much more different than the EU would have you believe.

Very possible though to share a language and some cultural traits but still feel very separate. I mean, Britain and Ireland are very different. The Russian speaking former Soviet Union is quite varied. The Chinese within China have all kinds of differences, let alone compared to the Taiwanese. Bosnia-Serbia-Croatia all speak essentially the same language, yet religion is a huge identity marker (Islam-Orthodoxy-Catholocism). I think people are ignoring how much religion (or lack thereof) in different parts of the US influences the culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That map and the link to the Tufts article was brought up in another forum as well just a few days ago. Supposedly the author won some sort of prize, which is surprising. The accompanying text is very political. That "El Norte" stuff is racist. I like the label the far west . . . for the Dakotas, Kansas and Nebraska, LOL! That's not how they identify themselves. And we in the far west and our "corporate masters", LOL! He needs to get out of Boston more.
Using the Spanish language in a region that the author had come up with that would have a majority Spanish-speaking population is racist?

I learn new things every day.

I think New France and New Netherland are also racist.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
^^The people who live there are primarily US citizens and speak English. Some don't speak any Spanish. Many have been here for generations. Not everyone living there is Hispanic, either.

I never said I thought the name New Mexico is racist.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:28 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Using the Spanish language in a region that the author had come up with that would have a majority Spanish-speaking population is racist?
Have you been to Southern California?

The common language spoken there is the same as it is on the East Coast.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
^^The people who live there are primarily US citizens and speak English. Some don't speak any Spanish. Many have been here for generations. Not everyone living there is Hispanic, either.

I never said I thought the name New Mexico is racist.
So you do know that the region included entire states of Mexico, which includes about 22 million Spanish speakers?

Not to mention the parts of the US that it included have the highest rates of Spanish anywhere in the country?

Old 03-17-2016, 08:30 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
This is why we are such an amazing country. A Maine lobster fisherman can go to the Arizona desert, or the Colorado mountains, or a beach in Key West, and enjoy the geographical differences, yet find that the people are just like them.

I doubt if a German can go to France and feel the same way we Americans can.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Have you been to Southern California?

The common language spoken there is the same as it is on the East Coast.
Did you look at the map at all bud?

Have you been to Sonora, or Chihuaha, or Nuevo Leon, or Baja California? I assure you that they don't speak English.

Also, 36% of the LA metro area speaks Spanish (could be bilingual, but they ARE Spanish speakers).

The region on that map includes the top Spanish speaking areas in the country. You should probably know what you're talking about more.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This is why we are such an amazing country. A Maine lobster fisherman can go to the Arizona desert, or the Colorado mountains, or a beach in Key West, and enjoy the geographical differences, yet find that the people are just like them.
Maine lobster fisherman probably wouldn't even feel like they belonged in Boston, let alone Arizona.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
So you do know that the region included entire states of Mexico, which includes about 22 million Spanish speakers?

Not to mention the parts of the US that it included have the highest rates of Spanish anywhere in the country?
Yes, and I don't know why the author did that. As you should be well aware, you don't just cross the border from the US to Mexico like you do from Pennsylvania to Ohio.

I live in the southwest, or as this guy classifies it, the far west. I'm quite familiar with people speaking Spanish, everywhere. I don't spend all my time worrying about my "corporate masters" or the federal government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

I doubt if a German can go to France and feel the same way we Americans can.
Yes, I felt that way when we were in Alaska. You'd look up and see an American flag, and it felt kind of cool.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Yes, and I don't know why the author did that. As you should be well aware, you don't just cross the border from the US to Mexico like you do from Pennsylvania to Ohio.
The point of the article is a mental exercise. A big reason why people don't cross the border is because it is politically a different country and nobody wants to wait in those lines. Also, the author clearly explained why he included them. Go back and read it. Don't necessarily have to agree, but their is a rationale.

Quote:
I live in the southwest, or as this guy classifies it, the far west. I'm quite familiar with people speaking Spanish, everywhere. I don't spend all my time worrying about my "corporate masters" or the federal government.
No idea where this is coming from. Never suggested that. Kind of a bizarre way to take the conversation.

Quote:
Yes, I felt that way when we were in Alaska. You'd look up and see an American flag, and it felt kind of cool.
Nationalism does feel kinda cool, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.