Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 08:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The point of the article is a mental exercise. A big reason why people don't cross the border is because it is politically a different country and nobody wants to wait in those lines. Also, the author clearly explained why he included them. Go back and read it. Don't necessarily have to agree, but their is a rationale.

No idea where this is coming from. Never suggested that. Kind of a bizarre way to take the conversation.

Nationalism does feel kinda cool, I guess.
You have to go through a checkpoint to cross the border into Mexico or Canada. You have to have a passport. That is what I meant. Mexico, in particular, is a very different country, with a different language. Canada, not quite so much.

I'm repeating what was in the text about the "Far West". Apparently you didn't read it. Yes, I thought it bizarre as well.

Whatever. You see lots of Canadian flags in Canada. I suppose they're "nationalist" too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 08:53 AM

11,053 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You have to go through a checkpoint to cross the border into Mexico or Canada. You have to have a passport. That is what I meant. Mexico, in particular, is a very different country, with a different language. Canada, not quite so much.
I think you're missing the point of a thought exercise...

Quote:
I'm repeating what was in the text about the "Far West". Apparently you didn't read it. Yes, I thought it bizarre as well.
No I was focused on the part you brought up, since I thought that was what we were talking about, after all.

Quote:
Whatever. You see lots of Canadian flags in Canada. I suppose they're "nationalist" too.
Not nearly as many Canadian flags in Canada as American flags in America. But sure, there are probably a fair share of nationalists in Canada as well. I just have the idea that pieces of cloth with colors on them are not as important as philosophy. People like to hide behind flags to justify terrible things and because it makes them feel cozy, despite it being a rather empty symbol.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:57 AM

27,565 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Have you been to Sonora, or Chihuaha, or Nuevo Leon, or Baja California? I assure you that they don't speak English.
I wouldn't expect English to be the common language spoken in Mexico.

This about the U.S., where public schools and public universities teach in English everywhere.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I wouldn't expect English to be the common language spoken in Mexico.

This about the U.S.
You should probably go back and look at the map that is being discussed, as it included parts of Mexico.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
You should probably go back and look at the map that is being discussed, as it included parts of Mexico.
I don't think the OP intended to discuss Mexico, per the title of the thread.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I don't think the OP intended to discuss Mexico, per the title of the thread.
You responded to me after I commented on an article that was already posted.

This isn't hard.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:15 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Wales is more different than England than any single American "region" is different from each other. Their is no racial or religous divide. Catholics vs. Protestants isn't like Sunni vs. Shia anymore (IRA). Nowhere in America is different enough to be its own nation. About the only place you could make an argument for in U.S.A is Hawaii being different due to their large Hawaiian and East Asian population. Even then Hawaii is more American than Wales is British or Scottish.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
You responded to me after I commented on an article that was already posted.

This isn't hard.
I addressed the U.S. only.

Hardly any of that map is regionally accurate anyway. South Jersey classified with North Texas? What a joke!

Old 03-17-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Wales is more different than England than any single American "region" is different from each other. Their is no racial or religous divide. Catholics vs. Protestants isn't like Sunni vs. Shia anymore (IRA). Nowhere in America is different enough to be its own nation. About the only place you could make an argument for in U.S.A is Hawaii being different due to their large Hawaiian and East Asian population. Even then Hawaii is more American than Wales is British or Scottish.
So your point is that since we don't kill each other over these differences, they don't matter?

I guess in a general sense, yes. But that's a pretty low standard. Congrats, we are no longer barbarians in the 21st century! Most independent nations don't invade each other and slaughter their people. The US as it exists now kinda likes that though actually. War wouldn't be possible if the country were decentralized. Can you imagine New England declaring war on someone?

Old 03-17-2016, 10:20 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
No the point is that their isn't any obvious conflict between Catholic and Protestant and we are very harmonious. If you go to different parts of the U.S you can still get a decent Hamburger or Hot Dog, 90%+ of people still understand English, The cities are still built the same way, their is no huge difference. We aren't talking about Quebec here or Wales. Go to any border town and the difference are astronomical as soon as you cross the border usually. I would split Belgium, Switzerland, Spain, U.K, Italy and Poland before I would even think of splitting the U.S on cultural lines. Their is a strong unified culture that can't be simply broken into independent regions. Also that isn't a low standard seeing as 90%+ of countries today were made from conflict. Besides a few South American nations and a few African ones even then later on the borders were redefined for those nations through bloody conflict. Ghana is about the only nation I can think of and even then the prehistory of that country is muddled in war between the Ashanti and other groups.
Going from capital city to capital city in this fragmented U.S would have zero significant change besides climate and the views you get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.