Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 12:48 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
People from different parts of this massive region have very different opinions on what it means. My girlfriend from Minnesota considers Minnesota totally Midwestern, but balks at the idea of Ohio being midwest. I grew up in Ohio and we never really thought about Minnesota at all, and certainly not the Dakotas, which Minnesotans also consider Midwest.
When I lived in Wisconsin I remember hearing people refer to Ohio as the East. I also heard Missouri called the South. It's a matter of perspective...yet perspectives can be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 03:23 PM

561 posts, read 514,687 times
I grew up in Omaha and live in Omaha and I've ALWAYS considered Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Minnesota, Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan and the Dakota's "Midwestern"..

I think people get too caught up in labeling the interior part of the country as something it really isn't.. Keep it simple- NE, KS, SD, ND, IA, MN, MO as the "western side" of the Midwest.. IL, OH, MI, IN, WI as the "eastern side" of the Midwest..

There. Done..

My .02 cents anyway..

Peace...

Old 03-19-2016, 03:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
When I lived in Wisconsin I remember hearing people refer to Ohio as the East. I also heard Missouri called the South. It's a matter of perspective...yet perspectives can be wrong.
I grew up in Pennsylvania, about 10 miles from the Ohio line. We always thought of Ohio as midwest, even if they were our neighbors.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:49 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Why can't some of these states share their regions?

Could Western Pennsylvania share with Ohio as midwestern?

Could Northern Kentucky share with Ohio as midwestern?

Could West Texas share with New Mexico as southwestern?

Could East Texas also share with Louisiana as southern?

Could Oklahoma share with Kansas as being Great Plains?

Could Virginia share with Maryland as being Northern?

Could Minnesota share with Wisconsin as being midwestern?

All these questions are subjective, but I think we need to take a step back before defining states as part of a region.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:03 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post

Could Western Pennsylvania share with Ohio as midwestern?

Could Virginia share with Maryland as being Northern?

Could Minnesota share with Wisconsin as being midwestern?

All these questions are subjective, but I think we need to take a step back before defining states as part of a region.
I don't really think it's "we" who determine what states are part of a region. Many state boundaries are just arbitrary, and when you step over this arbitrary border, it doesn't mean your world changes. The government determines what our regions are, and they are, actually, pretty well defined. Why all this concern over what region a state is in? Stymies me.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:34 PM

Agreed, but many residents of certain States need some sort of definition of who they are. My point is that many States share regions, and we could probably gain from getting past the State boundaries.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:41 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Agreed, but many residents of certain States need some sort of definition of who they are. My point is that many States share regions, and we could probably gain from getting past the State boundaries.
It's kind of funny, how so many people on this site are concerned about the Midwest boundaries, in particular. They can quit worrying, it's not something anyone outside this forum even thinks about. I've lived in the Midwest my entire life, and I've NEVER heard anyone discuss this. (I'm retired, so I've been around a long time).

Old 03-19-2016, 09:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Could Western Pennsylvania share with Ohio as midwestern? No. This gets talked about all the time on the Pittsburgh forum. The consensus of most Pittsburghers, including me, the expatriot Pittsburgher is "no".

Could Virginia share with Maryland as being Northern? Virginia northern? Maryland isn't really northern, let alone VA.

Could Minnesota share with Wisconsin as being midwestern? Well, they both ARE midwestern.

(Mine in teal)

Old 03-19-2016, 10:10 PM

OK, cool. I don't necessarily disagree with you. My point is these boundaries are subjective.

Virginia is below the Mason Dixon, but I still don't think of it as Southern, especially around DC. Maryland is a northern state in my mind, but I can see how some will disagree. Pittsburgh feels way more midwest than east, IMO.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:31 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Joe Young View Post
I grew up in Omaha and live in Omaha and I've ALWAYS considered Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Minnesota, Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan and the Dakota's "Midwestern"..

I think people get too caught up in labeling the interior part of the country as something it really isn't.. Keep it simple- NE, KS, SD, ND, IA, MN, MO as the "western side" of the Midwest.. IL, OH, MI, IN, WI as the "eastern side" of the Midwest..

There. Done..

My .02 cents anyway..

Peace...
I'm from Kansas and agree 100%.

To clarify others, the Great Plains is a subregion of the Midwest. No Person living in the Great Plains doesn't consider themselves not part of the Midwest. Also Oklahoma is not the Midwest. West Virginia and Kentucky are not the Midwest either.

The very SE tip of Kansas is somewhat Southern in culture, but no one in their right mind would say Kansas is part of the south. People migrate, definitions change, don't worry about it too much. At one time in history everything west of the Mississippi was considered the West, that's not really true anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.