Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 11:38 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times

Advertisements

The busiest Amtrak line in America runs right through the worst part of North Philly. I have always wondered what people must think riding through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 02:28 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I am in the city of Pittsburgh every day. I live here.

A city can have low unemployment but that figure doesn't define the type of jobs. It is easy to count retail and hospitality positions as new jobs but they don't pay well.
Well, the good news is, leisure and hospitality isn't the only employment sector that has grown in Pittsburgh. Between January 2000 and January 2016, the Pittsburgh MSA added 42,000 jobs in the professional and business services sector, 44,400 jobs in the education and health services sector, and even added 7,100 jobs in the mining, logging and construction sector despite the vast majority of major MSAs losing jobs in that sector during the same period of time. (And even if you separate the mining and logging from the construction, the Pittsburgh MSA still added jobs in both subsectors.) Even better news is that those tend to be higher-paying employment sectors.

If you really want to ***** about the job market in Pittsburgh, then you have three choices: trade, transportation and utilities; other services, and government. Those are the only three (out of 11 employment sectors) that Pittsburgh ranks in the bottom quintile among all major MSAs for job growth between January 2000 and January 2016. And it's worth noting that two of those three tend to be lower-paying employment sectors. I'm sorry that you can't find a job in sales, delivery, social work or government bureaucracy in Pittsburgh, but maybe you should look in other employment sectors first before you start blaming geography.

By the way, you never answered my question on the Pennsylvania forum about why new $300K+ construction sells so fast in Pittsburgh if the local economy is moribund. For that matter, why is the commercial real estate market so damn tight there if everything sucks? And I've seen non-Pittsburghers put you in your place on this board before too, so you can't revert to the "typical Pittsburgh cheerleader in denial" talking points if you desire to keep what little credibility you have left intact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.