Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 08:43 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,574 times

Advertisements

Here in Colorado Springs, with the low humidity and high elevation, we can see skies that are so blue it's surreal. Especially over the mountains in the early morning hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 09:52 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
first off, I'm practically a scientist. Secondly, because of the amount of lakes in Minnesota and how these numerous pure lakes reflect the shorter blue refracted wavelengths from the sunlight hitting the water, and the resulting reflection back up into the atmospheric water droplets, we end up with a bluer sky than anywhere in the world with the possible exception of the North Pole.

actual sky color right now...

Really? Anywhere in the world? Hard to believe..Did a quick search and it seems FL has more lakes. Plus the peninsula is sandwiched between the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of MX..so based on your theory it should have bluer skies than MN( which has 11k lakes)? HI probably has bluer skies than MN..

"Florida contains more than 30,000 lakes that cover a little more than 3million acres of land. The lakes range from very small to the nation's fourth-largest natural lake, 448,000-acre Lake Okeechobee. The state's second-largest lake, Lake George at 46,000 acres, touches the border of north Lake County.

MN 11,842 lakes
This is a list of lakes in Minnesota. Minnesota is known as The Land of 10,000 Lakes and officially there are 11,842 lakes more than ten acres (40,000 m²) in size. The prevalence of lakes has generated many repeat names."

Old 04-28-2016, 10:25 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,626 times
in terms of air quality , these were the five highest rated

The 5 Clearest Blue Skies in the U.S. - Explore

1.asheville nc
2.athens gorgia
3.mammonton new jersey
4.austin texas
5.bangor maine

Old 04-28-2016, 11:15 AM

145 posts, read 402,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Here in Colorado Springs, with the low humidity and high elevation, we can see skies that are so blue it's surreal. Especially over the mountains in the early morning hours.
Agree.

I get the sense that many of the people that have posted in this thread are not that well-traveled or have not lived in very many places.

The Southwest in general, has much bluer skies than most of the nation, and I've lived in several states. I've spent 9 of the past 11 years in Colorado, and on a clear day, I don't think it gets much bluer than here. Part of the reason for this is that most Colorado cities are 5000-10000 feet in elevation. Higher elevation = less atmosphere = clearer skies and stronger sun.

I've not lived in other areas of the Southwest (only visited), but most of the Southwest is far bluer than anything I've ever seen back East. I lived in Florida for a couple of years, and there is no comparison when comparing "blueness". Florida was blue on clear days, but not often a DEEP blue like the Southwest.

Just my $.02

Last edited by jkozlow3; 04-28-2016 at 11:23 AM..

Old 04-28-2016, 11:56 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Really? Anywhere in the world? Hard to believe..Did a quick search and it seems FL has more lakes. Plus the peninsula is sandwiched between the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of MX..so based on your theory it should have bluer skies than MN( which has 11k lakes)? HI probably has bluer skies than MN..

"Florida contains more than 30,000 lakes that cover a little more than 3million acres of land. The lakes range from very small to the nation's fourth-largest natural lake, 448,000-acre Lake Okeechobee. The state's second-largest lake, Lake George at 46,000 acres, touches the border of north Lake County.

MN 11,842 lakes
This is a list of lakes in Minnesota. Minnesota is known as The Land of 10,000 Lakes and officially there are 11,842 lakes more than ten acres (40,000 m²) in size. The prevalence of lakes has generated many repeat names."

your stats are bogus

Old 04-28-2016, 12:21 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
That's not just the sky you're looking at. That is more outer space, so of course it's going to look darker blue.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:34 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,054 times
Quote:
your stats are bogus
Type "how many lakes in FL" on Google..see what it says.. also MN has no other bodies of water(it can't possibly have a bluer sky based on your theory because it's land locked (the Atlantic/Gulf of MX have massive amounts of water) . As I said HI would be a candidate for the bluest skies too or FL. Gotta love CD scientists..

Your theory:

>>pure lakes reflect the shorter blue refracted wavelengths from the sunlight hitting the water, and the resulting reflection back up into the atmospheric water droplets

Old 04-28-2016, 01:12 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,867 times
The Desert Southwest handsdown!! Nothing east of the Mississippi can quite compare to that emerald blue you get out west, not even South Florida.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:17 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,687,621 times
Quote:
the bluest skies you ever seen are in Seattle

and, the hills the greenest green, in Seattle
Funny u say that. My first time outt o Seattle was this past Thanksgiving and on the two days it was actually clear, I thought to myself "these skies are so deeply blue"..... Apparently, I'm not the only one who thinks that.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:20 PM

145 posts, read 402,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Funny u say that. My first time outt o Seattle was this past Thanksgiving and on the two days it was actually clear, I thought to myself "these skies are so deeply blue"..... Apparently, I'm not the only one who thinks that.
For the 6 days a year it isn't cloudy and/or raining you mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.