Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 10:59 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,868,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
I've noticed that most newer malls are either open air malls or incorporate a mixed use component such as office and residential. Either that or there are just big box stores with smaller retail stores in a plaza or "town center". I'm not too sure of anywhere in the country that Is building new malls based on the old standard. (Closed in, within a sea of surface parking, etc.).
Well, one thing is for certain, the old traditional mall with a few anchors and smaller stores won't cut it. These type of malls certainly are not being built today. The anchors are not there, and the population wants nothing of it.

Malls today need to offer great restaurants, outdoor entrances, easy parking near those entrances of not major stores, but specialty stores. It really is a simple formula. Forget the indoor malls, instead offer malls that offer popular stores that can be accessed from the outside with parking.

These malls already exist today (Algonquin Town Center, outside of Chicago), and this is the prototype for future development. Actually it is beyond prototype, as these are popping up everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 06:44 AM

103 posts, read 96,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Well, one thing is for certain, the old traditional mall with a few anchors and smaller stores won't cut it. These type of malls certainly are not being built today. The anchors are not there, and the population wants nothing of it.

Malls today need to offer great restaurants, outdoor entrances, easy parking near those entrances of not major stores, but specialty stores. It really is a simple formula. Forget the indoor malls, instead offer malls that offer popular stores that can be accessed from the outside with parking.

These malls already exist today (Algonquin Town Center, outside of Chicago), and this is the prototype for future development. Actually it is beyond prototype, as these are popping up everywhere.
I looked up Algonquin Town Center, and it just looks to be a strip mall no different than 10s of 1000s of other strip malls. I don't get it. That may be fine in a moderate climate. But in a cold climate people also like to be able to go from store to store in comfort. That's why indoor malls will never die. They just need to adapt with the times.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:40 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,950,065 times
While malls will change, the stereotype about them being a huge building with a moat of parking lots with several department store anchors connected by corridors of chain stores with plastic plants and a food court with more chains and a few fountains won't change for awhile. True, the low-to some mid-end malls will continue to struggle due to competition from chains/online, but there is still nothing like trying on the clothes to see if it fits, checking to see if the jewelry doesn't have any scratches, buying the newest Apple product without waiting for delivery, and even price comparison via mobile devices while shopping to bargain around.

Still, the malls that exist keep evolving by either add/converting outdoor sections, making the perimeter surrounding the mall more pedestrian friendly, adding/expanding transit, adding offices/residences as others have described, or even other community/civic tenants such as religious places. As long as malls are successful in urban areas (Milan's Galleria is often cited as the world's oldest shopping mall, built in the 1860s and 1870s), they will continue to exist in some form or another around the world.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhTheUrbanity View Post
I looked up Algonquin Town Center, and it just looks to be a strip mall no different than 10s of 1000s of other strip malls. I don't get it. That may be fine in a moderate climate. But in a cold climate people also like to be able to go from store to store in comfort. That's why indoor malls will never die. They just need to adapt with the times.
Algonquin Town Center is not a strip mall. It actually takes up as much space as a major mall would. The difference is users can drive right up to the store of their choice. (I am not saying this is necessarily a good thing, as most in the US could use a little exercise...but I digress). Algonquin is the future, like it or not. They don't have any major anchors, and they offer good eateries all around. This "lifestyle center" works in Chicago, so it could probably work in most climates.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:14 PM

643 posts, read 1,017,947 times
Indianapolis has 3 - 1,000,000+ sq. ft. malls:

Castleton Square
Greenwood Park
Lafayette Square

Honorable Mention

Washington Square with 965,000 sq. ft.

Lafayette and Washington Sq. have definitely seen better days, while Greenwood and Castleton are thriving.

Also The shops at Perry crossing and The Fashion Mall at Keystone both 600,000 + are doing well.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:20 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,884,642 times
Quote:
Algonquin Town Center is not a strip mall. It actually takes up as much space as a major mall would. The difference is users can drive right up to the store of their choice. (I am not saying this is necessarily a good thing, as most in the US could use a little exercise...but I digress). Algonquin is the future, like it or not. They don't have any major anchors, and they offer good eateries all around. This "lifestyle center" works in Chicago, so it could probably work in most climates.
Yeah I must be missing something too. I looked Algonquin Town Center up and it looks no different than the hundreds of strip malls I pass by everyday with stores and restaurants in them. There are a ton of strip malls that take up as much room as a mall (some used to be real malls). Driving up to the store with other stores connected to it facing a big parking lot is the definition of a strip mall.

For outdoor malls... I prefer the open-air malls that have pedestrian strips like Partridge Creek in Detroit for example. It has anchors like Nordstrom, Carson's, and a movie theater along with stores and restaurants along the pedestrian strip. Good for pet lovers too.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:52 AM

103 posts, read 96,316 times
Quote:
Well, I just found a couple pics of it, and it looked like a strip mall. If it takes up as much space as a major mall would, why can't I find a website for it? Even small, crappy malls have websites.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:01 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhTheUrbanity View Post
Well, I just found a couple pics of it, and it looked like a strip mall. If it takes up as much space as a major mall would, why can't I find a website for it? Even small, crappy malls have websites.
Yea, I don't know what he's talking about, either. Just googled it and street mapped it, and that's a strip mall if I ever saw one (and not particularly attractive, either). Nothing progressive or futuristic about it whatsoever.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:24 AM

12,820 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:

Algonquin Town Center- if you're talking about this place- is as classic a strip mall as you'll find anywhere.

I'm sure there are examples in the Chicago area, but Patriot Place, MarketStreet Lynnfield, Derby Street Shoppes, Hingham Shipyard, and Legacy Place here in MA seem to be more like what you're talking about (I believe the term "Lifestyle Center" has been used). Still- they're just fancier strip malls. The trend I've noticed in these newer places is that in addition to a variety of stores, they offer entertainment venues like Dave and Buster's, Kings, etc. and updated, modern movie theaters with premium offerings and more destination restaurants (as opposed to food courts and popular chains). The emphasis on dining and entertainment in addition to select stores (nowhere near the number or square footage of retail as the mega malls of days past) makes them viable and popular. They're "recreating" the downtown shopping experience. Sort of. It's also no coincidence that old, walkable downtown areas in many places are seeing more investment than they have in decades. I think these places are the new malls, and I say "new" because they're newish to colder climates (though we've had outlet centers forever) but they've been around in more temperate climates for some time. I also think they represent a cultural shift in the way people today like to shop.

Last edited by lrfox; 06-01-2016 at 07:32 AM..

Old 06-02-2016, 06:26 PM

Sorry, I misidentified this retail mall. It is Algonquin Commons, (not Town Center). It has been years since I've been back there. Here is the website:

Algonquin Commons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.