Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 12:51 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Malls are becoming very passe' in the US. Yes, they still exist, but they are indeed dying. Having the most malls is nothing to be proud of. That being said, successful malls would be something to be proud of. The best malls today offer a variety of indoor/outdoor, and many specialized restaurants, and near a fast growing business area. Perhaps a big cineplex near a food court? I don't know, this is variable around the country.

I can only speak for areas around me. Bellevue Square is an upscale mall in one of the largest suburban cities in the country, outside of Seattle. It does well. Also, to the eastern part of WA State, there is a large mall that serves many nearby rural counties, this kind of mall does well as sort of a central location within a wide area. In this case I am referring to Columbia Center in Kennewick, WA (Tri-Cities, WA), and it is the only major mall within 150-225 miles all around.
I think this is what is happening in Canada as well.. A lot of the expansion of the malls here are actually including more than your typical shopping experience. They included expanded food courts and gourmet dining. There's also a swing toward more upscale stores with 'Style Experience Guides' that will arrange valet parking for you and literally take you shopping for a new wardrobe - so something much more personalized.. I read they are even starting to call them 'Lifestyle Centres' and tenants are more varied than just shops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 09:55 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Thanks, fellas. When I think of malls, I think of a massive building comprised of a few big box stores and dozens of smaller ones, surrounded by a sea of parking. Sure, most malls are usually a bus hub of some sort, but I was actually struggling to think of ones where you can just hop on a train and get there. Glad to see that there are far more than I initially thought (though it still seems heavily skewed to the automobile).

kidphilly, are they doing anything with The Gallery? Last time I was there, it wasn't exactly a premier destination.
Yes, the Gallery is being rebuilt and will be renamed. The construction project will likely take a couple of years. The transportation network, that was associated with it, is unaffected and operational.

There's another outdoor mall being built across Market St that should be finished before the new "Gallery".

Old 05-28-2016, 10:03 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Malls are becoming very passe' in the US. Yes, they still exist, but they are indeed dying. Having the most malls is nothing to be proud of. That being said, successful malls would be something to be proud of. The best malls today offer a variety of indoor/outdoor, and many specialized restaurants, and near a fast growing business area. Perhaps a big cineplex near a food court? I don't know, this is variable around the country.

I can only speak for areas around me. Bellevue Square is an upscale mall in one of the largest suburban cities in the country, outside of Seattle. It does well. Also, to the eastern part of WA State, there is a large mall that serves many nearby rural counties, this kind of mall does well as sort of a central location within a wide area. In this case I am referring to Columbia Center in Kennewick, WA (Tri-Cities, WA), and it is the only major mall within 150-225 miles all around.
The previously mentioned King of Prussia Mall, in suburban Philadelphia, already is, and will become more so once its current expansion is finished this summer, a massive upscale mall. It has been doing really well for many years. There's never been a down period for it that I'm aware of and the mall has existed, in some form, since 1963.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:38 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Malls are becoming very passe' in the US.
Not really. Low-end malls are dying, but high-end malls in the U.S. have never been more successful.

Old 05-29-2016, 04:27 AM

103 posts, read 96,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I count 32 malls in the NYC metro with at least 1 million square feet of retail space.

I would like to see the numbers for LA. That's the only metro that I think could challenge that number.
Can you list them or give a link?

Old 05-29-2016, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I thought shopping malls were a dying breed. It will be interesting to see how many of these are still thriving, a few years down the road.
Here in Canada the large malls are still doing well. Very well actually. Many of them have recently undergone expansions, have expansions under construction, or have expansions planned for the near future.

Some smaller malls are doing very well too. Like Bayview Village in Toronto. It's not very big, but it's upscale. It's on the subway too, which helps.

Some of the smaller malls have not done so well. There's a mall on the west side of Toronto that is literally down to a few tenants. There were plans to tear it down and redevelop it with highrise condos. Another mall in Oakville was torn down several years ago and redeveloped with power centre/outdoor type retail (Home Depot, etc.).

Old 05-29-2016, 10:42 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhTheUrbanity View Post
Can you list them or give a link?
Sure- I now count 34, but 2 are u/c and not yet open, so 32 existing malls that meet the criteria.

I may do the same for LA. I think it's the only metro in the U.S. (probably the world) that could match this number.

NYC

Bay Plaza Mall
Kings Plaza Mall
Queens Center Mall
Staten Island Mall

NY State

Broadway Mall
Cross County Mall
Galleria at Crystal Run
Green Acres Mall
Palisades Center
Poughkeepsie Galleria
Ridge Hill
Roosevelt Field
Smith Haven Mall
South Shore
Sunrise Mall

Connecticut

Brass Mill Center
Connecticut Post Mall
Danbury Fair
SoNo Collection (u/c)
Trumbull Mall

NJ

American Dream (u/c)
Bridgewater Commons
Freehold Raceway Mall
Garden State Plaza
Jersey Gardens
Livingston Mall
Mall at Short Hills
Menlo Park Mall
Monmouth Mall
Newport Centre
Quaker Bridge Mall
Rockaway Townsquare
Willowbrook Mall
Woodbridge Center

Old 05-29-2016, 01:49 PM

This link says SoNo will be around 700,000 square feet

http://www.thehour.com/news/sono-col...9ae5dc1ec.html

Old 05-29-2016, 02:59 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,812,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post

I'd actually be curious to know if there are any true malls that lie directly on a rapid transit or commuter rail line.
The Mall of America has a light rail station in its parking garage. Back when I was living without a car I would go there every couple of months to buy things because it was really easy to get to via transit. Now that I have a car I almost never go there.

Old 05-29-2016, 03:05 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,438,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
What I came up with for the DC/Baltimore region, we don't share all of them, but at least the larger ones have decent overlap with the adjacent counties:

DC area suburbs:

Tysons Corner Center- 2,200,000 sq ft

Westfield Montgomery Mall 1,223,475 sq ft

Springfield "Town Center" indoor mall- 1,700,000 sq ft

Potomac Mills- 1,606,000 sq. ft.

Lakeforest Mall - 1,045,000 sq ft

Fair Oaks Mall, VA - 1,565,000 sq ft

Dulles Town Center, VA- 1,400,000 sq ft

Spotsylvania Mall 1,700,000 million sq ft

The Mall at Prince Georges, MD- 910,352 sq ft (planned retail expansion coming) http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...signs-h-m.html

St. Charles Mall, Waldorf MD- 981,000 sq ft

Tysons Galleria/Tysons 2 -800,000 sq ft all high end luxury retail

The Fashion Centre at Pentagon City- 821,024 sq ft retail, 169,089 sq office, with expansion in retail coming. Fashion Centre at Pentagon City Expansion

That's 8 (or 9 if you count Pentagon City) I counted around immediate DC over 1 million sq ft (and I did not round up the one with 981,000 sq ft). With two expanding currently to make it 10 above 1 million sq in the next couple of years. The suburbs however do stretch out pretty far, so there is much overlap in at least 3 of the below Baltimore area malls in bold. Also this does not take into account the plethora of redeveloped malls torn down into the thing that DC's suburbs is most notorious for which is walkable "town centers". For one example Bowie Town Center has 755,000 sq ft of retail.

Baltimore area:

Westfield Annapolis- 1,416,774 sq ft

The Mall in Columbia, MD -1,400,000 sq ft

Arundel Mills Mall - 1,630,000 sq ft

Security Square Mall- 1,040,000 sq ft

Towson Town Center- 1,040,000 square feet

White Marsh- 1,200,000 sq ft

This makes 6 malls in the Baltimore MSA above 1 million sq ft also, not sure if I forgot any.

Every

This would make 14 or 15 in the CSA currently above that 1 million sq ft threshold still with many malls in the 500,-800,000 sq ft range not on the list.
Evety metro has those "walkable town centers"..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.