Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 01:45 PM

7 posts, read 17,579 times

Advertisements

Hi there everyone! First off, thanks for taking the time to read this. My Aunt and I are on a somewhat frustrating hunt to relocate to. We are open to any state however there are a few thing we do want, that I was hoping we could get help with.

We want decent sized property on a lake, there doesn't even need to be anything already built as long as it can be built upon. It's fine if the lakefront area is somewhat small and then expands out into a larger lot.

We want a town that has a sense of community!!

If it is in small town, we would like a relatively large town at least 1 or 2 hours a way in case we get shopping fever!

We would ideally like a place that experiences seasons somewhat equally (i.e. we live in southern cali now and we have summer year round! Similarly, we don't want a place that seems like it has winter year round!)

We would like a place that has horse trails!

I know this sounds picky, but if there is anything near you that meets these descriptions, I would be forever in your debt if you could just mention them. We have gone on so many trips and have used up so much money to travel to places that seem perfect on paper, only to be let down. Being that I don't know many people across the U.S., hopefully someone has a recommendation for us!

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 06:50 PM

93,541 posts, read 124,263,512 times
Again, look at the Syracuse NY area. There are plenty of lakes, rivers and ponds. You might like places like Skaneateles, Cicero, Otisco, Baldwinsville, Lakeport, Cazenovia, Tully and Sylvan Beach, among other locales. Here's a great website for properties: cnyrealtor.com | #1 in Syracuse real estate and homes for sale. Search over 6,000 listings.

Here is some information about Onondaga County, where Syracuse is located: Onondaga County, New York

I believe that there are some horse trails south of Syracuse too.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:15 PM

648 posts, read 1,620,105 times
It sounds like somewhere in the Northeast would be nice for you. I would STRONGLY recommend southern Maine and southern New Hampshire. Try Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire. It is a big lake with lots of lakefront land and homes and it is within and hour and a half from Boston, close to the ocean, and close to Portsmouth which has more than enough shopping. There are definitely horse trails. New Hampshire's taxes are a nice plus as they have no income tax, no general sales tax, and lower property taxes than Maine. The area is beautiful. Pictures are from Lake Winnipesaukee, Portsmouth, Nubble Lighthouse in York Point Maine and are all in the same general area. Then the last group of pictures is of course Boston.

Moderator cut: real estate link

Image removed by Moderator (contains the watermark © of the photographer. Copyrighted material)

All within about an hour of this.

http://www.nomadicmatt.com/images/northend.jpg (broken link)

Good song too. They are from Boston.

Last edited by Bo; 07-29-2010 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: Per TOS, don't post real estate links in the forum. Share them via DM only.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:48 PM

93,541 posts, read 124,263,512 times
Here's some pictures of the communities I mentioned:

Skaneateles

Sylvan Beach

Cazenovia

Baldwinsville

Old 08-08-2010, 01:40 PM

7 posts, read 17,579 times
Everyone, thanks so much for all of the suggestions! @Ckhthankgod and @RussianIvanov, thanks so much for the incredible pictures! I love them! I will definitely take these seriously!

Old 08-10-2010, 09:03 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,661,388 times
Oh you folks are making me want to move. VERY nice photos and sales pitches GOod luck carniehands

Old 08-11-2010, 07:31 AM

749 posts, read 2,440,790 times
There are some nice lakefront homes on large lots for sale on Lake Tsala Apopka in Hernando, FL. A little further up State Rd. 200 and your in Ocala the horse capital of FL.

Although we don't have 4 distinct seasons it's great weather from about late October to beginning of May and very hot the other months.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:53 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,202,723 times
Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, (edit: and FL) and New York, among others, should be in this discussion the most.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:17 AM

765 posts, read 2,130,675 times
The Cleveland area has some very nice lakefront properties along lake Erie. The area, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, is quite nice with everything you could ask for in a big city as well as friendly people and it doesn't feel "too big". The houses are also very affordable compared to waterfront properties elsewhere in the country. If you want the smaller town feeling you might want to look anywhere in Lake, Ashtabula, Erie, or Sandusky counties. (Sandusky is also where Cedar Point is, if you're into roller coasters and that sort of thing).

We also have four distinct seasons, including beautiful falls (my favorite season ) unlike where I am now in Minnesota where it seems all there is is winter and summer.

Another place you might want to consider is Lake Chautauqua in upstate New York. It's about 2 hours from both Cleveland and Buffalo, and is sort of vacationland for people from those areas, although still not very built up. It also has the famous Chautauqua Institute which is an idyllic community where they bring in well known lecturers (such as Hilary Clinton), music, and performing arts. It is also near some great snow skiing for the winter, with Peak N' Peak and Holiday Valley both relatively close by.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:18 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,018,252 times
You might also try Saugatuck, Michigan. It's a beautiful place and a great four-season town.

The $4.49-a-Gallon Vacation to Saugatuck, Mich. - NYTimes.com
The Coolest Small Towns in America - Budget Travel

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.