Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 05:43 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Definitely a cultural thing. Louisville's metro area is smaller than OKC's (which is a better determining factor the size of a place for this type of situation). There are I think 5 gay clubs in the city, possibly more. They are frequented by very accepting straight people as well. One of them, Nowhere Bar, has amazing DJs that play their own stuff, not just a playlist on shuffle of old songs. Another popular one has a pretty good DJ who always will use a real turntable and do real mashups and remixes of stuff. Very EDM. The latter plays a good mix of old and new rap music as well. Only been to one other gay club and again, like most gay clubs, very good mix of current EDM. There are a few that play that throwback rap songs and try to be hip for the frat bros and stuff, but even they'll throw some new stuff down.

Although Louisville isn't a big city and not there on the national music scene, we've had some good artists come through lately. Marshmello and Audien came for Derby. Craze came for Derby last year. TroyBoi had a stop on his tour here earlier this year. YG, MGK, Griz, and I think a few others are coming through this fall.

So yes, it's definitely more of a geographic and cultural difference.
Great points here. I think it is a cultural thing. OKC has more in common culturally with the rural South than other mid-sized cities, which is why it will always punch below its weight compared to its peers.

From everything I have heard about Louisville, I think I could actually live there. Even though it is similar in size to OKC if not a little smaller, it seems to be a night and day difference culturally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 08:35 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Up here in the far northeast MA CT RI NY clubs play a mix of Top 40 hip hop, EDM, Dancehall and local indie/hip hop. Very little music in our urban areas older than 3 years except a few classics like Back that Thang Up. Definitely no Big Pimpin or Wobble.. depending on the club the most popular music is EDM or Dancehall.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:47 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Great points here. I think it is a cultural thing. OKC has more in common culturally with the rural South than other mid-sized cities, which is why it will always punch below its weight compared to its peers.

From everything I have heard about Louisville, I think I could actually live there. Even though it is similar in size to OKC if not a little smaller, it seems to be a night and day difference culturally.
I could have written my post better too lol. I meant that a lot of the straight clubs also have good DJs. There are only 2 gay clubs in the city I have been to. But the straight clubs also have good DJs. 4th Street Live is a tourist trap and the bars are gross there, but that's where you'll find all that type older music and crappy DJs pressing play on a playlist.

Louisville actually has an impressively high percentage of gay population, the city itself is very accepting, we vote blue for everything, we have strong LGBT anti-discrimination policies, we now have 2 pride parades for some reason, all the local businesses are very LGBT-friendly, University of Louisville just got a perfect score for its LGBT-friendliness (the only school in the south and only 1 of 16 in the entire country). Lexington, which is smaller, is where University of Kentucky is located. A lot of northerner live there for college and they have a gay mayor currently running for US Senate against Rand Paul. So even though Louisville might be smaller than OKC and still a midsized city, that doesn't always determine the nightlife scene of a city. It has much more to do with the people and the culture.

When you get a lot of men with fragile masculinity, everything must appeal to them. And when you get a city that is just flat out less cultured than other places, it will be further behind the times when it comes to pop culture. Louisville isn't some liberal haven in the sense of NYC, Philly, Boston, LA, SF, Chicago, etc., but compared to its peer cities, it's quite progressive. With bourbon being a big part of the economy, the bar and club scene will never be something the city takes for granted. When a city council member tried lowering the last call from 4am to 2am, even the most conservative and God-fearing folks (well, not all) came out against him because they realize alcohol is a huge part of our economy here. It's hard to keep people dancing till 4am with the same old boring music from the mid 2000s. And with our 4am last call, I've been noticing A LOT of bachelor/bachelorette parties these past few weeks. So even though Louisville is in a southern state and is total bourbon country, the nightlife scene is still quite impressive because of the local more liberal and outgoing culture.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:49 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Up here in the far northeast MA CT RI NY clubs play a mix of Top 40 hip hop, EDM, Dancehall and local indie/hip hop. Very little music in our urban areas older than 3 years except a few classics like Back that Thang Up. Definitely no Big Pimpin or Wobble.. depending on the club the most popular music is EDM or Dancehall.
You have Dancehall I'm coming! Be right there!

Old 08-26-2016, 11:09 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,871 times
There's really only one significant LGBT dance club in Columbus. It mostly plays techno/dance remixes of pop songs from today all the way back to Madonna's hits. I would actually prefer if it had more hip-hop/rap since I can only listen to so many dance remixes of Katy Perry music, it's not really the place you go sober

Honestly there was no notable difference between the music played in Boystown bars in Chicago vs. Short North Columbus bars.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:55 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
EDM isn't effeminate.. it just sucks.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:40 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,604,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
"Commercial" EDM really does suck and has ruined a lot of peoples perception of what electronic music can sound like when actually done right. By the way, great "The Room" status reference.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:22 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
I don't know. In this part of the country, cover bands are popular. I was completely against the concept of watching old dudes reliving their early 20s on stage until I spent a night this summer watching bad 80s cover bands. People packed the dance floor and we all had the best time.

In general, there are not a lot of dance clubs here. The trend has sort of died out and been replaced by upscale wine bars and breweries.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:08 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
It's better than the Wobble or the Cupid Shuffle in 2016 however.

There is a lot of good EDM out there though, it's just not the most popular, commercial stuff.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:26 AM

561 posts, read 514,885 times
Check out the Max in Omaha if you want to see one of the most progressive and accepting gay clubs in the Midwest.. The music mix is cutting edge to "traditional" as to what you'd expect in a club like this.. But as a straight male, I enjoy going to this club simply for the atmosphere. There are many gay clubs in Omaha along its downtown strip called the "Milk Run".. But it's the one club I can say is very progressive both musically and socially in Omaha.. If you visit here bawac34618, I think you'd LOVE The Max..

http://www.themaxomaha.com/

Peace...

Last edited by Mighty Joe Young; 08-28-2016 at 12:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.