Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 09:29 AM

159 posts, read 269,233 times

Advertisements

Lets just say get use to wearing layers. Cold sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 09:43 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Adding muscle mass will help with your cold tolerance. No, really.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:58 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,735,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Adding muscle mass will help with your cold tolerance. No, really.
Fat's even better...

Old 10-05-2016, 10:10 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
Fat's even better...
Ideally, you want both...like an offensive lineman or sumo wrestler.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:23 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I went to Pittsburgh for college after living in the South my whole life. The first year was the worst. I remember it was 35 degrees (on a cold night) in Pittsburgh in late September and it was still 93 degrees (in the day) down in Louisiana. I quickly did the math and realized that I probably hadn't thought this cold thing out very well.

The next day I went to Burlington Coat Factory, bought a big down coat and that helped the first winter. I still remember the first time I experienced 0 degrees (F). I remember waking up to "Good morning Pittsburgh it's zero degrees." I didn't even know what that would feel like, and it kind of takes your breath away. Keep in mind I walked to all my classes.

In any case, I found that the heating systems up north are far more powerful than down south. Classrooms would be like 80 degrees, a lot of times I would be in short sleeves. Just like the south likes to crank A/C, the north likes to crank heat, especially when it's freezing.

The second year was better, third was really difficult because it was one of those "polar vortex years", and fourth year was easiest because I knew I was getting the heck out of there.

I was spending fall, winter, and spring in Pittsburgh and summer in Louisiana, talk about tough! So, when I graduated, I studied the climates of all cities around the country and decided that San Jose, CA had the best combination of climate and jobs so I took a job out in Silicon Valley.

That being said, I would NEVER live in the Northeast again. Midwest is out as well.
Haha that does sound rough transition. I went to Pitt as well, but I'm from the area. We're you here recently (2014)? I walked to class when it was -17 (temperature not wind chill).

That was an experience, even for a native Pittsbugher.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:54 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,922,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Haha that does sound rough transition. I went to Pitt as well, but I'm from the area. We're you here recently (2014)? I walked to class when it was -17 (temperature not wind chill).

That was an experience, even for a native Pittsbugher.
It's more miserable but just get over it and go about your day, simple as that. It's not going to kill you. You're just somewhat more uncomfortable but not completely feel like you're going to die. It would bite harder, especially if it's breezy, but we can deal with it by just putting up with it or wear more clothes. I would just be more active and face against the wall toward the sun to minimize the effect of Polar Vortex.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:56 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,922,710 times
minus 17 in Pittsburgh is the morning low with minimal winds, so it is not that bad and a sign the worst is almost over. It would warm up dramatically up to near 50 in a few days later.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:22 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
minus 17 in Pittsburgh is the morning low with minimal winds, so it is not that bad and a sign the worst is almost over. It would warm up dramatically up to near 50 in a few days later.
There was some winds, I believe the wind chill was in the -30 range, but when you have multiple layers on and your skin completely covered, it's honestly not bad. 90 is much worse IMO.

It will occasionally hit 50 in the winter, especially towards the end of February, but is very short lived. 2013 and 2014 were absolutely brutal in PA. The average temperature for Pittsburgh was around 18. Last winter was cake compared to other years.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:46 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
I grew up in Upstate NY and never got used to or liked the snow and cold, I was miserable from October through April every year, May to September were the only months I liked there. So as soon as I got out of high school, I moved to Phoenix

Old 10-05-2016, 11:54 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Not difficult at all. I grew up in Florida, so cold weather is wonderful to me. Hot weather can stay far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.