Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 05:21 PM
j1n j1n started this thread

1,245 posts, read 4,659,601 times

Advertisements

Interesting that "back to nature" or "sustainable living" or even "farming" can be viewed as backward. I tend to look more at people's refusal to move forward out of ignorances as being backward. Just because people choose to live in a more simple manner, or choose to live out in the country or off the land...I don't see that as backward. Maybe the opposite. I think being more self-sustaining and less dependant is actually really forward-thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 05:38 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Hey, if living with uneducated religious zealots who haven't seen much of the world is your cup of tea, knock yourself out. I personally find such people pleasant, but incredibly dull.
I don't let others' choices in religion bother me.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:49 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
Interesting that "back to nature" or "sustainable living" or even "farming" can be viewed as backward. I tend to look more at people's refusal to move forward out of ignorances as being backward. Just because people choose to live in a more simple manner, or choose to live out in the country or off the land...I don't see that as backward. Maybe the opposite. I think being more self-sustaining and less dependant is actually really forward-thinking.
"Backward" to me has to do with your thinking, your openness to consider new ideas, your rationale for your thoughts and actions. I.e., if you chose a primitive lifestyle or rejected a new idea, you've done so because you've thought it through, not "because we've always done it this way". It's not what you do for your occupation, your income, where you live. Backwards people reject new ways of thinking, rely on old ways and stereotypes with no critical analysis. To me, backwards areas are those with high numbers of backwards people, as I've defined them.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:51 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,709,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
You must live in one of the better areas because I've lived in different parts of PA and here in my part of Philly is about as backwards as some stereotypes of the south
I guess it depends. My area of the city is filled with nothing but forward thinking people who want to see things change for the better.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:33 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,472,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
I guess it depends. My area of the city is filled with nothing but forward thinking people who want to see things change for the better.
Forward thinking? Hmm sounds like center city area only^

Old 03-21-2010, 08:26 PM

46 posts, read 118,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
Thanks j1n, you reassured me that I'm not missing anything over here in General US. You don't even define what you are talking about ... backwards? What? If you're going to take the time to make a thread, make it so it makes sense and define what you are talking about!?

Backwards as in, not liberal? Because I feel like that is what it gets perceived as in this forum. If your morals disagree with something - it makes you "backwards" .. or you are racist, or you have a "phobia!"
Well, if your morals seem to be stuck in the past, then yes, you are backwards. Technology, Economics, Politics, Countries all move forward at some point. Your morals don't mean a thing to me or a majority of the new/younger generation coming through.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:04 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I agree on that one,(is PA part of the rust belt btw?)
Meanwhile, here are some numbers from 2008 regarding high school education. Looks like Pennsylvania ranked fourth in its high school graduation rate, behind only New Jersey, Iowa and Wisconsin. Totally backwards, I tell you!

By the way, the Brookings Institute disputes the notion of Pennsylvania being a "Rust Belt" state anymore.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:43 AM

698 posts, read 1,509,394 times
There isn't a single place in the United States that is not backwards. America has a lot of weird people, odd beliefs, weird infrastructure designs, tolerances, and attitudes. But is it not America's "backwardness" that makes this nation great?

The regional differences is what keeps this country strong in my opinion.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:10 AM

2 posts, read 2,401 times
when I first came to the US in 1990, I wanted to buy beer at the 7/11 somewhere in WV. I used my European passport to proof my age. It was not accepted. Isn't that considered "backwards"? Also, I rode my bicycle, common in my country. I almost got run off the road and people honked and hollered. I joined the military and left that state on the spot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.