Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 10:04 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
So, 19 named expressways. I would bet the most named expressways would be in NYC or LA, but I'll leave it up to someone else to name them all. Firebird did LA, lets eee if someone will do NYC.
I'll try. I never drove until recently for work though, so I might miss a few. Or a lot.

Brooklyn-Queens Expressway
Jackie Robinson Parkway
Belt Parkway
West side highway
FDR drive
Gowanus expressway
Queens-Midtown expressway
Major Deegan Expressway
Cross Bronx Expressway
Sheridan Expressway
Bruckner Expressway
Throgs neck Expressway
Hutchinson river Expressway
Whitestone Expressway
Cross island Parkway
Grand central Parkway
Long Island Expressway
Staten Island Expressway

....this is just city limits, and I know I missed a few. I haven't even attempted to try to name any in the surrounding metro area. I'll name the New Jersey turnpike I guess, which is obvious but I've only been driving for a few months. And I don't even drive in my personal life, only for work.

So maybe someone else can help finish off this list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 11:07 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Do NY traffic reporters use these names or do they use their highway numbers? This was my point about L.A., they seem to be using numbers rather than names.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Do NY traffic reporters use these names or do they use their highway numbers? This was my point about L.A., they seem to be using numbers rather than names.
Names, not numbers. And sometimes not even the full names, but abbreviations.

Brooklyn-queens Expressway = BQE
Jackie Robinson Parkway = The Jackie

But NY traffic reporters also report on subway delays and train traffic too. The subway is the way most people get around and we actually do get train traffic on the subways. If you watch the news in NY in the morning you'll hear "the J train is delayed" and stuff like that.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:38 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
That is what I thought. I guess different areas have different qualifiers as to how residents identify their roads. I actually like these differences in the U.S. The States should have differences, that is the way our founders set it up! The one thing I like about Trump, (and believe me it is the one and ONLY thing I like about him, is he understands the concept of State Rights.) I hope he means what he says about that. But I'm getting off topic I guess.

I'm all for named freeways and highways. It offers a nice local identifier. However, in LA I think they found that using numbers was more efficient in the long run. Not only more efficient, but more logical due to the vast freeway system.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
That is what I thought. I guess different areas have different qualifiers as to how residents identify their roads. I actually like these differences in the U.S. The States should have differences, that is the way our founders set it up! The one thing I like about Trump, (and believe me it is the one and ONLY thing I like about him, is he understands the concept of State Rights.) I hope he means what he says about that. But I'm getting off topic I guess.

I'm all for named freeways and highways. It offers a nice local identifier. However, in LA I think they found that using numbers was more efficient in the long run. Not only more efficient, but more logical due to the vast freeway system.
Exactly. NY and LA are setup very differently too. In LA the highways are like the backbone of the city. It's how everyone gets around and where the city is built around.
In NYC it's the subways instead. The highways in NYC are mostly on the outskirts, which helps with walkability.

I had a friend that used to say that when people give directions in LA they give you all highways, and in NY it's all subway lines.

Example:
LA: take the 101 to the 405

NYC: take the J to the 4/5 to the 7

Last edited by That_One_Guy; 12-18-2016 at 11:55 PM..

Old 12-20-2016, 04:39 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times
In Colorado we have just a few...

I-25 through Denver used to be called the "Valley Highway" from the time it was built until around the mid '80s, and most people called it that. Now it's generally referred to as "I-25"

I-25 through El Paso County (Colorado Springs) was named the "Ronald Reagan Highway" from its old name, "Monument Valley Highway". Everyone refers to it as I-25.

I-25 through Pueblo County is named the "John F Kennedy Memorial Highway". Everyone refers to it as I-25.

US 36 between Denver and Boulder was the "Denver/Boulder Turnpike" as it was the first toll road in CO. Old timers like myself still call it that.

So much for giving highways names here.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:11 PM

12 posts, read 15,416 times
Wow on N.Y. and L.A., knew they would have alot of names, cool also on both. Surprised Detroit has 14 to be honest. Denver has some- still count's.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:49 AM

242 posts, read 239,874 times
Some of the tollways in Houston don't even have numbers, they are: Hardy, and Westpark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.