Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 12:39 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times

Advertisements

Washington, DC:

Arlington
Alexandria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 12:46 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,820,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Good post Manitoiaaa! I can see you did a lot of work.

If it was possible, for New York, the obvious answer is Hudson County which would also become Hudson Borough. The other possibility for New York is Yonkers and Mount Vernon.

Of all the cities, I think San Francisco has the most justification for expanding (importance of the City and its future growth is undermined by the currently small land base). But I do not know the area so I do not how resistant the suburbs are to being annexed like here in the Northeast. Maybe a weak metropolitan area government combining the communities around the Bay area but still giving them much of their independence would work best.
Thanks! I actually heard that San Francisco threatened Brisbane, CA with annexation earlier this year. Apparently Brisbane has a ton of mostly empty land and San Francisco wants it to be used for high density residentials.

It's interesting that the U.S. is the only major advanced country to lack metropolitan governments. So there's no form of government whose sole focus is coordination between cities in a metro area.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Atlanta:

Sandtown
Druid Hills
North Druid Hills
Toco Hills/LaVista Park
Scottdale
Oak Grove/Vista Grove/Briarlake
Brookhaven/Ashford Park
Dunwoody
Sandy Springs/North Springs
Medlock Park
Emory
Sage Hill
Candler-McAfee
Gresham Park
Constitution/Intrenchment Creek
Fulton Industrial
Cliftondale
Campbellton
Wolf Creek/Stonewall-Tell
Chattahoochee Hills/Rico
Six Flags/Riverline
Vinings/Cumberland
A lot of these are already in Atlanta, no?

Old 12-26-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
A lot of these are already in Atlanta, no?
None of them are. Except 1/5 of Druid Hills.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:55 PM

93,336 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Thanks! I actually heard that San Francisco threatened Brisbane, CA with annexation earlier this year. Apparently Brisbane has a ton of mostly empty land and San Francisco wants it to be used for high density residentials.

It's interesting that the U.S. is the only major advanced country to lack metropolitan governments. So there's no form of government whose sole focus is coordination between cities in a metro area.
Technically, you could say that Nashville, Jacksonville and Augusta GA area examples of such in the US. I believe that Macon GA is another example of this.

Old 12-26-2016, 01:39 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Chicago, IL: Annexes Evanston (75,527 people)
New Population: 2,796,073
New Land Area: 235.08sqmi
Rationale: Frankly, all options are pretty ****ty and small. But this adds more beachfront property and a good University to boot.
I'd hardly call all the suburbs that border Chicago proper ****ty, but you are right that few of them have substantially large populations. Chicago's larger suburbs don't border the city, so none of them will dramatically increase Chicago's population much.

With population gain is off the table, I'd instead focus on Chicago evening out its boundaries. For example, the city surrounds suburbs like Norridge and Harwood Heights. Adding them to Chicago would make sense. Chicago dropping down and taking a suburb like Oak Park would also make sense, and the area is also connected to the L system. Lincolnwood would also fill in a gap heading west from West Ridge in the city. The city dropping its border south from Roosevelt down to 51st by Midway in order to include Cicero would also expand the Hispanic influence in the city, and add about 84,000 people to Chicago's population. Cicero wouldn't be as glamorous as Evanston or as financially well off though.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Technically, you could say that Nashville, Jacksonville and Augusta GA area examples of such in the US. I believe that Macon GA is another example of this.

And...

Columbus, GA
Athens, GA

Old 12-26-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
And...

Columbus, GA
Athens, GA
County government isn't really a "Metropolitan Government." In places like France, they have an added level of government at our equivalent MSA or CSA level. So I'm talking about the fact that we don't have a Dallas MSA government or a Chicago CSA government like other major countries do to guide planning.

The only ones that could count would be San Diego County or others where the county government is coterminous with the metropolitan areas.

Althought county-consolidation is certainly a step in the right direction.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:34 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:

After looking at aerial photos of Brisbane, I can see why San Francisco wants this land. It is remarkable that a suburb can border a dense city like San Francisco and still look like a small town with a low population density.

If they got their hands on Brisbane, I can see them going after South San Francisco next.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
After looking at aerial photos of Brisbane, I can see why San Francisco wants this land. It is remarkable that a suburb can border a dense city like San Francisco and still look like a small town with a low population density.

If they got their hands on Brisbane, I can see them going after South San Francisco next.
Yeah, Brisbane with San Francisco density could have 50-60k people. Instead it has 4,717 and the city government has wanted to keep it that way for years, angering San Francisco.

Here's a good read on it: Tensions Rise As San Francisco Proposes To Annex Brisbane, Build Homes « CBS San Francisco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.