Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 06:06 AM

124 posts, read 202,847 times

Advertisements

I just thought this would be a fun exercise to see how our perceptions of the cultures of different states differ. Warning: this thread may contain regionally-biased content that may not be suitable for some readers. Continue at your own risk .

Now that that's out of the way, I think I should explain how this works. The categories are friendliest,most laid-back, most classy, least friendly, most high-strung, and least classy. Keep in mind those listed are only states I have experience with

For example, I think:
Friendlies: I'll have to go with Texas, though Mississippi is a close second. They just have the whole hospitality thing down to the T.
Least Friendly: Connecticut. It feels wrong to throw my home state under the bus like this, but I gotta say, after years of trips back to visit family and friends, I was shocked at how few people smiled or showed affection to each other, even among close-knit circles.
Most Laid-back: Without a doubt, it's New Mexico. Whether this is due to the sunny climate, the sparse population density, the Hispanic cultural influence or I-dont-know-what-else, people there just live and let live, going through life at the most slow, relaxed pace I've ever seen.
Most high-strung: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, NEW YORK. The epitome of every Yankee stereotype, New Yorkers will do everything in such a way as to ensure maximum "efficiency", no matter how bothersome or stressful it may be to themselves or to others.

Most classy: Maryland. No matter if it's colonial heritage, sailing, the world's largest croquet match, or just plain sense of style, I feel like most of the Marylanders I've gotten to know have class in spades, regardless of where they come from (yes, even Baltimore, sort of).

Least classy: Washington. Home of grunge music and fashion. Also the only state where getting high on meth seems to be the most popular sport. 'Nuff said.

But feel free to take all of the above with a grain of salt.

What states do y'all think fit the bill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 07:05 AM

686 posts, read 621,845 times
I think there is a stereotype about New York as a state that needs to be addressed and eliminated.

When people say New York is high strung, 99.9 times out of 100 they're referring to NYC and its boroughs. Upstate NY is a completely different world. At the least, it should be a different state.

I'm married to an upstater. She and her family are the antithesis of high strung. Not to mention I've met a lot of folks in Tampa from around the upstate (Albany, Rochester, Syracuse...). Aloof, reserved, sometimes sullen, yes. Not high strung. That's the alphas in downstate.

I would agree 100% that Connecticut is the least friendly. New Jersey a close second.

Don't sleep on Florida in regard to the laid back attitudes. Every crazy story (that isn't made up) you hear about in the news involves someone who transplanted here from somewhere else. Most of the natives I've met here are chill as hell.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:04 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenial Hippy View Post
I just thought this would be a fun exercise to see how our perceptions of the cultures of different states differ. Warning: this thread may contain regionally-biased content that may not be suitable for some readers. Continue at your own risk .

Now that that's out of the way, I think I should explain how this works. The categories are friendliest,most laid-back, most classy, least friendly, most high-strung, and least classy. Keep in mind those listed are only states I have experience with

For example, I think:
Friendlies: I'll have to go with Texas, though Mississippi is a close second. They just have the whole hospitality thing down to the T.
Least Friendly: Connecticut. It feels wrong to throw my home state under the bus like this, but I gotta say, after years of trips back to visit family and friends, I was shocked at how few people smiled or showed affection to each other, even among close-knit circles.
Most Laid-back: Without a doubt, it's New Mexico. Whether this is due to the sunny climate, the sparse population density, the Hispanic cultural influence or I-dont-know-what-else, people there just live and let live, going through life at the most slow, relaxed pace I've ever seen.
Most high-strung: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, NEW YORK. The epitome of every Yankee stereotype, New Yorkers will do everything in such a way as to ensure maximum "efficiency", no matter how bothersome or stressful it may be to themselves or to others.

Most classy: Maryland. No matter if it's colonial heritage, sailing, the world's largest croquet match, or just plain sense of style, I feel like most of the Marylanders I've gotten to know have class in spades, regardless of where they come from (yes, even Baltimore, sort of).

Least classy: Washington. Home of grunge music and fashion. Also the only state where getting high on meth seems to be the most popular sport. 'Nuff said.

Classiest (in terms of education and wealth): Connecticut. Maryland, New Jersey
Classiest (in terms of doing the right thing and politeness: Ohio, Wisconsin, the midwest in general

Friendly: Ohio, Wisconsin

Least Friendly/High Strung: New Jersey

Least classy: (In terms of lack of education and poverty) Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, New Mexico

Old 05-26-2017, 04:10 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,924,430 times
The state with the most people is California

in terms of raw numbers (2010)

Most Blacks
Georgia: 3,150,435

Most Whites
California: 21,453,934

Most Hispanics/Latinos
California: 14,013,719

Most Asians
California: 5,556,592

Most Native Americans
Oklahoma: 321,687

Most Pacific Islanders
California: 181,431

Old 05-26-2017, 04:25 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
The state with the most people is California

in terms of raw numbers (2010)

Most Blacks
Georgia: 3,150,435

Most Whites
California: 21,453,934

Most Hispanics/Latinos
California: 14,013,719

Most Asians
California: 5,556,592

Most Native Americans
Oklahoma: 321,687

Most Pacific Islanders
California: 181,431
Texas and Florida have more Blacks than Georgia.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:43 PM

405 posts, read 476,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenial Hippy View Post

For example, I think:

From what I've experienced:

Friendlies: I agree with Texas, although I'd also add Alabama, Virginia, and Georgia to that list.
Least Friendly: Agree with Connecticut. Would also add Delaware from my experience.
Laid Back: Arizona, California, Florida (especially the west coast of the state), and NC-GA.
High Strung: Throwing my home state of New York into this one, although only based on the area I lived in (Staten Island/Brooklyn/LI). However, once you get north of Rockland County, the state has a TOTALLY different vibe. Even Eastern Long Island is pretty laid back.

Most Classy: Don't have a specific state for this one, I think all have their classy and trashy areas.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:56 PM

17,788 posts, read 13,677,875 times
Texas??? Friendly??? Not for us Okies.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:48 PM

14,678 posts, read 14,639,000 times
Friendly: Minnesota
Least friendly: New Jersey
Laid back: Hawaii
High Strung: New York (since D.C. is not a state)
Classy: not sure what this means

Old 05-27-2017, 09:43 AM

124 posts, read 202,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Friendly: Minnesota
Least friendly: New Jersey
Laid back: Hawaii
High Strung: New York (since D.C. is not a state)
Classy: not sure what this means
Classy in this case= cultured, cosmopolitan, and so on.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:21 AM

594 posts, read 698,557 times
Friendly: A
Classy: R
Laid back: I
Sexy: Z
Smart: O
Resilient: N
Humble: A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.