Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 07:16 PM

252 posts, read 518,812 times

Advertisements

So why are you heading west? Is there a particular career that you have in mind or reason your headed out west or it is mainly out off curiosity and something new. The reason i say this because i done something like this before I was tired of California and I wasted a lot of time in place i didn't need to be. I moved to Honolulu its was good experience somewhat but not really. I never really fit in with the local culture and I left and don't miss it . Maybe check out the places before you move first. You might like a place or really dislike it . Good luck to you.

Last edited by 7stringguitarguy; 01-28-2017 at 07:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 07:35 PM

45 posts, read 66,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringguitarguy View Post
So why are you heading west? Is there a particular career that you have in mind or reason your headed out west or it is mainly out off curiosity and something new. The reason i say this because i done something like this before I was tired of California and I wasted a lot of time in place i didn't need to be. I moved to Honolulu its was good experience somewhat but not really i never really fit in the local culture . Maybe check out the places before you move first. Good luck to you.
So really what happened was a family member who was close to me died tragically young. It has hurt to watch them pass slowly over the past few months. Even before this, however, I had always been content staying in NJ for most of my life, until 2015 happened. I took my first trip to Japan and loved it immensely, I had no idea what I was doing but I had a native friend there who I met and explored with.

Later that year I decided that because that trip was such a spectacular success and helped me grow and realize I was capable of being away from home I started to work in Yellowstone out in Wyoming. It was another awesome experience. It helped me with my anxiety by taking me out of a lot of triggers that are in NJ.

I then went to LA with my Japanese friend for a couple weeks and finally went and worked in China for 3 months teaching English.

After this all happened I came home to find a very close family member had gotten a very bad diagnosis. over the next few months i had to watch them suffer a lot and in the end when he passed I realized that you really only live once, as cliche as it sounds.

I have the money saved up, I have extra money for rent. Wherever I move I would make sure I had a job before I even left NJ and an Apartment before I go.

My goal is to move somewhere and see somewhere new. Go to school for a few years and get a degree and then go from there.

I really feel it is something I have to try and I would like to succeed, but before I can try I need to know where I want to go, and also what places will work or give me the best chance for success

Sorry for my life story, but it seems people dont understand that personal issues is really just a vague way of saying all of the above

Old 01-28-2017, 09:17 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey2125 View Post
Def appreciate the suggestion. I would also like to pursue a different career choice as well. If you have any recommendations for cities please let me know, and thanks for the response!
In California, you'd like Ventura. It's on the ocean, has a nice club scene, it's got a community college, a fun downtown, and lots of younger people. Here's a job there that they will train you for free:

https://jobs.cvshealth.com/job/-/-/5770/1871320

Check Craigslist for apartments and shares.

Note: just suggesting Pharm Tech because it is fast training for a salable job skill and you can earn a living while getting an education maybe for some other career.

Last edited by nightlysparrow; 01-28-2017 at 09:43 PM..

Old 01-28-2017, 09:35 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Chico, CA. It has a college.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:51 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Chico, CA. It has a college.
I lived in Chico for three years and hated it. It's a college/retiree town, and there are no jobs.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:30 PM

252 posts, read 518,812 times
No, its cool. Thats an interesting perspective I would say go for it.. Be careful and good luck..

Old 01-29-2017, 08:05 PM

78 posts, read 104,875 times
If it were me, I'd take Seattle and Portland off of the list. I haven't actually been to either of them, but I have lived in Pittsburgh which is nearly equally as cloudy as both cities. The constant overcast makes some people withdrawal from socializing and less active than they otherwise would be. I once considered moving to the Seattle area, but knowing how the weather in western Pennsylvania effected me I figured I'd eventually come to hate the city no matter how great and beautiful it was.

If you're interested in Colorado you'll need to know it's a very hard area to live right now. I know of a couple who moved to CO and left within a year or so. It's popular, so rents are going way up and availability of jobs is down. It felt like the population grew pretty fast, and the last time I was there it felt like the city is busting at the seams. I wouldn't move there without a job first. I haven't been to Colorado Springs but it might be easier to live than Denver. It's not as metropolitan but you'll gain quicker access to nature there. Maybe consider Salt Lake City as an alternative if you're looking for a mountain vibe?

Texas is probably one of the most outgoing and friendly places I've ever been to. Haven't been to Austin, but Dallas and Houston are some of the most diverse cities I've seen in a while. It's a big change from the cities in the northeast though. Despite being enormous metro areas they don't come with the east coast city feel whatsoever, so be prepared for that if you move to Texas. Austin is so popular right now I'd fear you'd be priced out UNLESS you choose to live in the suburbs. If you're thinking about proximity to the beach being a plus, just go ahead and consider Texas landlocked, because the coastline there seems to suffer from mud out of the Mississippi. Texas isn't really known for it's beaches.

Otherwise, Phoenix and Tucson seem to get praised a lot on this website, while anywhere California is usually heavily frowned upon unless you've got an amazing job and no family. I don't have much advice for those 2 places other than what I see posted here. Although, I will add that living with a friend who has an established social circle is really handy when you move across the country, so there's that.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:10 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I lived in Chico for three years and hated it. It's a college/retiree town, and there are no jobs.
well it would be ok to go to school in & plenty of students seem to find part time jobs.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:19 PM

594 posts, read 698,211 times
To the OP
There is a reason There's a reason Phoenix continues to be on everyone's relocation list. It's a beautiful place.
Everything is new with construction everywhere.
Businesses are moving here. Media is calling it the new Silicon Valley of the West with all the IT companies relocating to the Valley.
3.5 hour drive to Vegas.
5 hour drive to San Diego.
6 hour drive to LA.
3 hour drive to Rocky Point.
1.5 hour drive to Tucson
All 4 professional sports.
Sunshine everyday.
And the big one for me is.....every day feels like you're on vacation with all the sunshine and palm trees and mountains.
Winter time last about a month.
When you get a chance, look on a weather map and check out the 15 day forecast for Phoenix.
Summertime consist of pool parties, waterparks, etc. And when the sun goes down, people everywhere.
The COL is so low everyone has money to play with.
Jobs, jobs jobs.
Arizona is number 1 in the nation.
I encourage you OP to check out Phoenix before life bogs you down.
A lot of people dream of retiring here because life prevented them from moving here.
You're still young. Please don't blow this or YOU will be the one saying..." when all these kids are grown we're retiring in Arizona"

Old 01-29-2017, 08:21 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Did you enjoy Wyoming? The University of Wyoming is one of the few public universities with LOW tuition for out of state students, and they also offer some great scholarships to out of state students. Cost of living is low as well.

Montana State and the University of Montana are other options to consider with similar low costs and scholarships for non-resident students.

In another thread, I gave you some links to learn about financial aid. I would encourage you to read through that information. Financial aid takes the cost of living in the area into account if you are a full time student. So, it is possible that if you put applying to college and for financial aid first that you will have a bigger "living" budget to work with after your move.

Every college has an online "Net Price Calculator" that will allow you to get an estimate of how much financial aid you will likely will get. Focus on what the calculators tell you about *free* money (grants and scholarships) and Federal work study jobs (an on campus job).

As I suggested elsewhere, apply to colleges first. See what you get in financial aid as a non-resident. Then choose the college that is in the lowest cost of living area.

You sound like you have had a hard few years, but you've also shown a lot of grit and initiative with your travels, so I am sure you will figure everything out. But, do run some numbers through Net Price Calculators at various colleges (and Community colleges if you're going that route) to see which places will allow you to get your degree in the least expensive way.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.