Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 06:24 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
That would be the correct answer, it's safer after dark than most places are in broad daylight.
Yeah, its crime rate appears to be at the national average. A source I'm viewing shows a Hate crime index and that has been relatively high in the past(can count yearly incidents on both hands and goes up to 2014). Its COL and density may be the bigger issues, but it is only just above the national average in COL and inner neighborhoods appear to be quite dense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is there anything else you are looking for? Kenmore NY just north of Buffalo may work in terms of a smaller municipality in a bigger area. Dormont PA is another one that may work.

You could possibly look into sections and neighborhoods of bigger/midsized cities as well.
Here is a street view of the most dense parts of these 2 communities by census block group, which are a couple of the most dense incorporated municipalities in the country. Kenmore(adjacent to North Buffalo): https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9652...8i6656!6m1!1e1 (essentially the block group covers the area in between Delaware Ave and Delaware Rd up to Kenwood and includes the area in between Wardman and Knowlton up to Myron)(It's population density according to 10-14 information is/was 14,253.83/square mile) It has another adjacent block group to the south that has a similar population density, but has about 100 less people per square mile: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9615...7i13312!8i6656

Dormont(outside of Pittsburgh): https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...332794!6m1!1e1 (This is in a block group with a density of 17,735.42/square mile and is bound by Annex to the south, Kelton to the west, McNeilly to the east and Belplain/west of Tennessee/south of Texas Ave to the north)(Its median household income was/is a little above the metro and state figure as well)

Both have very low crime rates as well. Dormont according to 10-14 information was 4th in PA in population density and Kenmore was 19th in NY in terms of population density. This is out of cities, villages and CDP's in those states.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:39 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,267,216 times
Should be plenty within the northeast metros. Cambridge, Brookline and Waltham MA within the Boston area. Not as familiar with Philly but I think Conshocken is safe and urban. Also, Hoboken NJ felt safe when I visited and is very urban compared to most cities not next to NYC.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:38 AM

762 posts, read 1,750,713 times
Oh well, since the OP hasn't come back to comment, we don't know if our suggestions are helpful or not. <sigh>

Old 03-01-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
Should be plenty within the northeast metros. Cambridge, Brookline and Waltham MA within the Boston area. Not as familiar with Philly but I think Conshocken is safe and urban. Also, Hoboken NJ felt safe when I visited and is very urban compared to most cities not next to NYC.
Cost of living would be the issue with these locations, but would fit everything else.

With some other places, density may be an issue, but it depends on what is viewed as being high density.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:03 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
I like this website that rates cities by walkability. Just type in an address.

WALKSCORE

Old 03-03-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Here is a street view of the most dense parts of these 2 communities by census block group, which are a couple of the most dense incorporated municipalities in the country. Kenmore(adjacent to North Buffalo): https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9652...8i6656!6m1!1e1 (essentially the block group covers the area in between Delaware Ave and Delaware Rd up to Kenwood and includes the area in between Wardman and Knowlton up to Myron)(It's population density according to 10-14 information is/was 14,253.83/square mile) It has another adjacent block group to the south that has a similar population density, but has about 100 less people per square mile: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9615...7i13312!8i6656

Dormont(outside of Pittsburgh): https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...332794!6m1!1e1 (This is in a block group with a density of 17,735.42/square mile and is bound by Annex to the south, Kelton to the west, McNeilly to the east and Belplain/west of Tennessee/south of Texas Ave to the north)(Its median household income was/is a little above the metro and state figure as well)

Both have very low crime rates as well. Dormont according to 10-14 information was 4th in PA in population density and Kenmore was 19th in NY in terms of population density. This is out of cities, villages and CDP's in those states.
Also, in terms of Kenmore, you can take a bus to these areas of Buffalo not too far away: Elmwood Village Association – Promoting Our Community since 1994 (down Elmwood Ave.)
Elmwood Strip - City of Buffalo - Neighborhoods - Map Collection - University at Buffalo Libraries
Delaware District - City of Buffalo - Neighborhoods - Map Collection - University at Buffalo Libraries

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia8UP5tuQ84

A little further down Elmwood: Home - Allentown Association
Allentown - City of Buffalo - Neighborhoods - Map Collection - University at Buffalo Libraries

Hertel Business Association
HertelAvenue.com - Hertel Avenue Buffalo NY - Stores, Restaurants, Night Clubs, Services, Business (North Buffalo's major business district)
North Buffalo - City of Buffalo - Neighborhoods - Map Collection - University at Buffalo Libraries

Old 03-03-2017, 02:11 PM

765 posts, read 899,030 times
Many neighborhoods in Tacoma
Stadium
Downtown
6th ave
Proctor
Old Town
Ruston
Point Ruston
North Slope

McKinley, Lincoln, and MLK (Hilltop) I don't know about crime statistics. While they aren't as "safe" as the others, I personally feel safe in these districts and they are all walkable.

Tacoma has a low cost of living compared to Seattle and a lot of King County. Some neighborhoods are more expensive, however. The biggest bang for your buck I think would be 6th ave, which is Tacoma's main nightlife district. Many bars, restaurants, cafes, quirky shops, activity.

Old 03-03-2017, 03:07 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
What a nice video. I just moved to Lakewood last June. I don't have kids so I wasn't aware of this. It reminds me of when I was a kid living in Chicago. We always walked to school. No school buses ever.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:15 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broscoe View Post
Not the south! Outside Miami proper, there is hardly any walkable city in the south!
Charleston, Historic Savannah and New Orleans are regularly listed as among the most walk-friendly cities overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.