Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 07:24 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I guess Pittsburgh fits some of my criteria. But it's colder than where I currently live.
I grew up in New England, so I'm biased, but I don't think winter is that cold here. The average winter weather in January/February has daily highs in the mid to high 30s. We get snowy days, but typically all the snow is melted within a week. Currently we're coming out of the cold snap the rest of the east has been having, but January and February were very mild this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 08:21 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,967,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Traffic has this kind of 'flash mob' quality to it; at 2:00 you can be sailing through town on I-5, and at 2:15 you're completely gridlocked.
Its the same in Phoenix. Its so bad that if I leave the house 10 minutes later than I normally do, it adds about 10-15 extra minutes to my commute.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:38 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
So I'm still a young guy (23), just thought I'd list some things that are important to me.

Affordability is very important to me. Don't want to live somewhere where you can't afford anything.

Want to live in a metro area that's somewhere between midsized and semi-large ( probably not as big as NYC or LA)

I want to live somewhere that's at least a little laid back (been in D.C most of my life and the constant go go go is a little tiresome)

I have a strong preference to hilly scenery over flat scenery.

The greener and more trees the better in terms of scenery

Being within driving distance of good beaches isn't a must but it would be a nice bonus

I could tolerate flat scenery if it's green and near water

I DESPISE cold winters, I get seasonal affective disorder whenever high temperatures are below freezing for an extended period of time, don't get why some of you like the cold. I HATE IT

With that being said I would prefer living somewhere with some noticeable season. Leaving somewhere with great spring and falls but fairly mild winters would be ideal.

Hot humid weather isn't ideal by any means but I can tolerate it a little better than the cold.

Would love to be somewhere that's walk able (don't mind driving but I do love walking)

Also want some good parks and lost of green space.

Somewhere with unique culture and food would be ideal, although not a must.

Lastly and this isn't that important, I would love to be somewhere with good craft beer.
Greenville, SC
Raleigh, NC

Old 03-18-2017, 04:32 PM

4,400 posts, read 4,295,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Greenville, SC
Raleigh, NC
Yup, I've definitely thought about NC/SC area. Have some family in Charlotte to.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:58 AM

992 posts, read 876,640 times
Tucson would be great for you.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:23 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,223,098 times
Nobody said Denver yet.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:13 PM

6 posts, read 3,080 times
You can try for Austin in Texas. I would vote for the same..

Old 03-22-2017, 10:47 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,492,578 times
Memphis checks off everything but the hilly scenery and the proximity to the beach,, but it does have a river.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:20 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,230,595 times
San Antonio, Nashville, Raleigh, Birmingham (Atlanta if it's not too big) (Austin if it's not too pricey)

Old 03-23-2017, 09:36 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Nobody said Denver yet.
Denver's not a bad choice. Definitely more affordable than DC and fairly walkable - less so than DC, but more so than many Sun Belt metros.

The duration of winter here could be an issue. Our average daytime highs are on-par with DC, but the overnight lows are colder. Denver gets 3-4x more snow than DC, and it can snow any time from mid-September 'til mid-May.

We're also more isolated than the Bos-Wash corridor (which is just fine by me, but seems to bother folks who're used to being elbow-to-elbow with throngs of humanity at all times).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.