U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which state will emerge as the next to challenge Florida and Texas?
Alabama 0 0%
Georgia 32 64.00%
Louisiana 2 4.00%
South Carolina 9 18.00%
Tennessee 7 14.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-04-2017, 01:52 PM
 
1,829 posts, read 1,250,388 times
Reputation: 1822

Advertisements

Apparently, Nevada, Arizona, and, if you consider it as Sunbelt, Colorado near Texas and Florida in 2010-2015 population growth. Anyone know how the five states' growth rates have been doing on an annual basis? Perhaps one of those three have recently grown faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2017, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,060 posts, read 3,381,283 times
Reputation: 7704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
Sunbelt: Arizona, Nevada, Georgia, and North Carolina

Arguably sunbelt: Utah, Colorado, California

Not sunbelt, but rivals: Oregon, Washington

How is California "arguably" sunbelt? Its like the King of sunbelt. Utah and Colorado I understand. North Carolina is less sunbelty than California, I consider it the northeastern edge of the belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2017, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,060 posts, read 3,381,283 times
Reputation: 7704
Georgia is the big dog out of the list, though unlike NC its more limited to Atlanta. The other metro areas have less influence compared with NC's.

I think Alabama is the sleeping giant that has a lot of untapped potential. They got too much of a fundamentalist Christian thing, though, which limits the type of people who are likely to move there willingly.

I dunno why people are bringing up the politics of NC like its gonna cripple its growth. It has admitedly caused a reactionary wave from PC liberals but honestly, don't think it'll make a big difference. Texas is deep deep red and it don't matter one bit when it comes to growth, actually its part of the appeal for some. So many conservatives move from blue states because Texas politics and lifestyle is more agreeable to them. Same thing is probably happening in NC to a smaller scale. Also am I the only the LGBT person who does not GAF about stupid bathroom bills? If I hear someone refer to it as a "transgender protections" issue one more time, I'm gonna throw up. Trans people have far bigger things on their plate than the bathrooms they use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2017, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,637 posts, read 27,047,623 times
Reputation: 9577
I wouldn't call Texas deep deep red. But it is red with blue cities in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2017, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
992 posts, read 577,446 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
How is California "arguably" sunbelt? Its like the King of sunbelt. Utah and Colorado I understand. North Carolina is less sunbelty than California, I consider it the northeastern edge of the belt.
It's more legacy and more urban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2017, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Inland FL
1,248 posts, read 718,341 times
Reputation: 2179
NC and GA, because of Atlanta and NC's multiple major cities. Hopefully they don't go down FL's path and allow themselves to be raped over by northerners and developers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2017, 12:36 PM
 
16 posts, read 10,594 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicAries View Post
I would say California comes close with Florida trailing Texas in annual population growth. Can't think of any other state that would rival the big 3.
California is already "established" and if anything is trending downwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2017, 01:33 PM
 
29,893 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Reputation: 18435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
It's more legacy and more urban.
True but California set the standard for Sunbelt-style development; it just so happens to have the geography that favors a denser form of sprawl compared to Sunbelt cities of the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2017, 04:56 PM
 
Location: South Padre Island, TX
2,452 posts, read 1,278,751 times
Reputation: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I dunno why people are bringing up the politics of NC like its gonna cripple its growth. It has admitedly caused a reactionary wave from PC liberals but honestly, don't think it'll make a big difference. Texas is deep deep red and it don't matter one bit when it comes to growth, actually its part of the appeal for some. So many conservatives move from blue states because Texas politics and lifestyle is more agreeable to them. Same thing is probably happening in NC to a smaller scale. Also am I the only the LGBT person who does not GAF about stupid bathroom bills? If I hear someone refer to it as a "transgender protections" issue one more time, I'm gonna throw up. Trans people have far bigger things on their plate than the bathrooms they use.
The difference is that Texas hasn't (as of time of post) passed an anti-rights bill to the level of the bill North Carolina had. Furthermore, a lot of Texas's growth is self-made (which eliminates the dependence on attracting companies from other areas), and the cities, which are large relative to NC's, still exert enough of a pull to attract companies (regardless of state affairs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2017, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,151 posts, read 19,752,834 times
Reputation: 8803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
The difference is that Texas hasn't (as of time of post) passed an anti-rights bill to the level of the bill North Carolina had. Furthermore, a lot of Texas's growth is self-made (which eliminates the dependence on attracting companies from other areas), and the cities, which are large relative to NC's, still exert enough of a pull to attract companies (regardless of state affairs).
I'm not sure on the amount but all of the energy companies that used to be in Nola are now in Houston, except for Entergy. So not all of that is self made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top