Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 01:50 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
I am aware it is southern, and yes, I am familiar with Asheville. While I like Asheville, and could potentially consider it at some point, it isn't where we are looking at the moment.

Also, I am not looking for somewhere that is some magical haven of atheists and liberals. I have no problem with conservatives, or those who attend church, considering the large majority of my family and friends are both of those things. I would just like somewhere that you don't get asked about it every few days, or get looked down on if you don't go to church. New England would certainly be the top place for liberals and non-religious, but may be too much for me in terms of winter weather. Not entirely sure yet.

Philly, while the outlying areas may have helped Trump win, certainly has a lot more going for it than somewhere like Asheville (where the city is surrounded by dark red for a hundred miles in every direction). Maybe Charlottesville is no better, I don't know. Which is why I said I would check it out. The only thing I know for sure about Charlottesville, is that I thought it was cool when I was a kid.

The grander point, is that we don't really want to look any further south than VA right now. We have friends in NOVA and Richmond, and have considered them, which is the main reason VA is even still a possibility.
In that case, I'd look into south Jersey as well. It's an overlooked area but is close to Philly, the Atlantic beaches, and has many charming towns in the area. It snowed a little too much for me during the winter (I'm originally from SC) but it may be something you can tolerate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 02:27 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
In that case, I'd look into south Jersey as well. It's an overlooked area but is close to Philly, the Atlantic beaches, and has many charming towns in the area. It snowed a little too much for me during the winter (I'm originally from SC) but it may be something you can tolerate.
Any certain towns that you know of that we should look at? I think NJ could potentially work as well, in the same way I think somewhere like PA would. It is a kind of middle ground. Not too severe in any season, beaches, and many things to do nearby.

We aren't averse to snow, I just don't necessarily want somewhere that we could be snowed in several times during winter. Now my husband, he would actually like to live somewhere that gets a ton of snow. I think he would live in a Rockwell painting if he could.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Any certain towns that you know of that we should look at? I think NJ could potentially work as well, in the same way I think somewhere like PA would. It is a kind of middle ground. Not too severe in any season, beaches, and many things to do nearby.

We aren't averse to snow, I just don't necessarily want somewhere that we could be snowed in several times during winter. Now my husband, he would actually like to live somewhere that gets a ton of snow. I think he would live in a Rockwell painting if he could.
South Jersey doesn't get a ton of snow every winter but usually gets a couple snow events.

Are you considering somewhere near the beach or perhaps somewhere in between Philly and the shore?

Old 04-21-2017, 03:54 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
South Jersey doesn't get a ton of snow every winter but usually gets a couple snow events.

Are you considering somewhere near the beach or perhaps somewhere in between Philly and the shore?
Probably somewhere between the two. I would probably prefer to be a little closer to Philly than the beach, though. We would probably spend more time going into the city, or places other than the beach, than actually going to the beach, at least in the seasons that aren't summer.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:38 AM

27,222 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Probably somewhere between the two. I would probably prefer to be a little closer to Philly than the beach, though. We would probably spend more time going into the city, or places other than the beach, than actually going to the beach, at least in the seasons that aren't summer.
South Jersey is rather unique and quite provincial which doesn't make for the most transplant-friendly environment in my opinion. You might consider the north/northwest side of Wilmington, Delaware which provides easy access to Philly and lots of outdoor recreation in the Brandywine Valley due north up through SE PA into beautiful Chadds Ford and the town of West Chester (which could be another great option too).

Old 04-22-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
South Jersey is rather unique and quite provincial which doesn't make for the most transplant-friendly environment in my opinion. You might consider the north/northwest side of Wilmington, Delaware which provides easy access to Philly and lots of outdoor recreation in the Brandywine Valley due north up through SE PA into beautiful Chadds Ford and the town of West Chester (which could be another great option too).
Truthfully the whole Philly area is kinda provincial; the most transplant-friendly part of the region is the core of Philly itself.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:10 PM

93,385 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
If you do not mind colder and longer winters, you might look at Saratoga or Warren County in New York. Right outside the huge Adirondack Park (Warren is largely in the Adirondacks). Numerous battlefields and forts from the American Revolution and the French & Indian Wars like Saratoga NB, Fort Ticonderoga, Fort William Henry (Last of the Mohicans) and Fort Edward.

Saratoga Springs
Lake George
Glen Falls
Ballston Spa
Fort Edward

Albany is not too far away and Vermont and the Green Mountains are pretty close too.
Another reason this area may work is because it has been a consistently and steadily growing area. Saratoga County has been one of the top growing counties in NY State. Warren County has had some growth in recent years as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.