Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 12:26 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,660,154 times

Advertisements

Not sure why a thread is wasted on such an obvious topic. New York City by miles and miles and miles. NYC is in a category all its own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 01:24 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,928,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Not sure why a thread is wasted on such an obvious topic. New York City by miles and miles and miles. NYC is in a category all its own.
Hahaha agreed. Simple eye test.. Place is a nightmare in some aspects, but jaw dropping in others. NYC has way broader shoulders than any other North American city. I mean, Brooklyn's population alone is as big as Chicago's population.

Chicago and it's inferiority complex is so real, man. I gave up a long time ago.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:20 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,842,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Hahaha agreed. Simple eye test.. Place is a nightmare in some aspects, but jaw dropping in others. NYC has way broader shoulders than any other North American city. I mean, Brooklyn's population alone is as big as Chicago's population.

Chicago and it's inferiority complex is so real, man. I gave up a long time ago.
I totally disagree with you. As a Chicagoan, I think the majority os us see Chicago as the great city it is. Why would we feel inferior. From a local perspective, we hardly see ourselves in the shaddow of any ity and there is nocity we'd like to be. We respect the other major cities in America, places like Boston, New York, Washington, Los Angeles and New York.....and we consider them our peers.

Our fault, if we have one, it's that we're the ultimate homers and really think our city is great.

And, mwj, nothing I wrote has any reference to what others think of us......I find it far more important how we see our selves. And on that one, despite what you think, the answer is damn f**king good.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I totally disagree with you. As a Chicagoan, I think the majority os us see Chicago as the great city it is. Why would we feel inferior. From a local perspective, we hardly see ourselves in the shaddow of any ity and there is nocity we'd like to be. We respect the other major cities in America, places like Boston, New York, Washington, Los Angeles and New York.....and we consider them our peers.

Our fault, if we have one, it's that we're the ultimate homers and really think our city is great.

And, mwj, nothing I wrote has any reference to what others think of us......I find it far more important how we see our selves. And on that one, despite what you think, the answer is damn f**king good.
Well, to be fair, the OP was predicated around Chicago being the greatest city in the world, backed up by his opinions. Which is fine. But, that's where this inferiority complex comes from. We Chicagoan's put a generic 'What is the greatest American city?' title, and then take the opportunity to let everyone else know why it's Chicago.

"I, amm.. Ron Burgundy?"

So, as someone from the city who loves the city, but is also a realist regarding it's faults, I give credit where credit is due and dispute the opinions that I think are untrue.

Nightlife mecca? You're darn right.
Totally screwed up budgetary alignment? You're darn right.
Great sports town? You're darn right.
Complete and total history of segregation? You're darn right.
Some of the nicest people in the Country? You're darn right.

Growing up, I never thought my parents lied. They were the source of truth. Then, as I grew up, i realized my parents lie all of the time (love them to death).

I equate that to growing up in Chicago. It was my universe. Then, after living in a few areas of this country, I now realize what it has and what it lacks. What it does well, and what it doesn't do well. And, what I can tell you is, it doesn't have it figured out like I thought it did. And protruding this confidence about the city is great, as long as we can admit it's faults.

+1 for NYC for the hundredth time. +2 if you look at the job they've done in diversifying industry and cleaning up crime.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:55 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,842,554 times
Quote:
Well, to be fair, the OP was predicated around Chicago being the greatest city in the world, backed up by his opinions. Which is fine. But, that's where this inferiority complex comes from. We Chicagoan's put a generic 'What is the greatest American city?' title, and then take the opportunity to let everyone else know why it's Chicago.

"I, amm.. Ron Burgundy?"

So, as someone from the city who loves the city, but is also a realist regarding it's faults, I give credit where credit is due and dispute the opinions that I think are untrue.

Nightlife mecca? You're darn right.
Totally screwed up budgetary alignment? You're darn right.
Great sports town? You're darn right.
Complete and total history of segregation? You're darn right.
Some of the nicest people in the Country? You're darn right.

Growing up, I never thought my parents lied. They were the source of truth. Then, as I grew up, i realized my parents lie all of the time (love them to death).

I equate that to growing up in Chicago. It was my universe. Then, after living in a few areas of this country, I now realize what it has and what it lacks. What it does well, and what it doesn't do well. And, what I can tell you is, it doesn't have it figured out like I thought it did. And protruding this confidence about the city is great, as long as we can admit it's faults.

+1 for NYC for the hundredth time. +2 if you look at the job they've done in diversifying industry and cleaning up crime.
You know, my response to you had nothing to do with the attributes of Chicago. My point was that Chicagoans feel very good about our city and that I don't see any kind of inferiority complex. We are comfortable in our own skin and, as noted, do not aspire to be any place else, although, as also noted, we respect those other great cities and feel no threat of them.

I think we tend to cringe at the notion that we're like New York. We're not, nor do we have any desire to be. We're just happy to be Chicago

Old 12-14-2017, 05:03 PM

^I totally believe that YOU are comfortable with Chicago.

Please go to city vs. city and look at Rayrena's thread. NY vs. Chicago rapid transit.

Do you think she's from New York or Chicago? You guessed it.

And when she voiced her opinion, was it unsure in tone? Or did she seem well equipped, with her thoughts and points ready, on why Chicago is superior?

On behalf of all Chicagoans, can we stop now everyone? Just be you. You don't see Boston and Seattle pumping their chest nearly as much. It's like Texas 2.0 the last decade.

Last edited by mwj119; 12-14-2017 at 05:16 PM..

Old 12-14-2017, 06:05 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,248,493 times
Quote:
Please go to city vs. city and look at Rayrena's thread. NY vs. Chicago rapid transit.

And when she voiced her opinion, was it unsure in tone? Or did she seem well equipped, with her thoughts and points ready, on why Chicago is superior?

On behalf of all Chicagoans, can we stop now everyone? Just be you. You don't see Boston and Seattle pumping their chest nearly as much. It's like Texas 2.0 ever since Chicago's fall from prominence.
I'd say..... if you moved from Chicago happy in another city and it's fine with Chicagoans I'm sure. If you see NYC as the greatest vs it and all other cities. Most will agree it is in a tier on its own. But Chicago after the Great Fire (way back then) choose it would not build (no tenements it chose) as NYC and its street-grid would have full alleys (including downtown) and standard set-backs of housing. It has the "L" that it need not feel is inferior either .... but for overall coverage of a NYC. But it is very easy to navigate, clean and a 95% on time rating NYC lacks in with its own set of issues.

Chicago's Manhattanizing (for lack of a better word) was NOT TO BE NYC. It created the skyscraper and needs no peer as to be Manhattan. New Yorkers would luv to boast the huge tree-lined streets with greens as a Lincoln Park or Wicker Park, Lakeview etc. Plus the lakefront right there and parks and beaches in its core. Yes Central Park is a Great to best. But Chicago's need not take a back seat either.

Even in its Manhattanizing.... Chicago chose the Podium-style high-rise and skyscrapers. NYC has few examples with ample parking right in the base of their building. Sq/Footage is just to pricy to use for a car. Podium-style if done right still has retail street-level as most (especially newer ones) in Chicago do.

Chicago also was set up to have retail and businesses on main streets. NYC any street probably can as density gives foot-traffic for more. But to work in a Great Urban city as Chicago's core. Yet go home to a quiet block tree-lined and highly walkable..... is a asset in itself too.

Many New Yorkers still have no problem with Chicago's prime neighborhoods on vibrancy for those that moved there.

So downplaying Chicago far inferior to NYC offerings (today especially) really they should take a bit of offence to that as if it was without aspects of offerings and vibrancy in its own right.

No one will take offence to claim NYC is in its own tier in density and quantity of offerings and street-life to more busy streets over most on main streets as Chicaogo. But to say INFERIOR EN MASS TO NYC to CHICAGOANS ..... or just keep downplaying it on C-D? Really, it has NOTHING TO DO WITH A INFERIORITY COMPLEX. Chicago and Chicagoans despite their cities own issues..... NEED NOT BE LABEL INFERIOR without calling you on this INFERIORITY LABEL as waaay overblown. It is PRIDE and COMFORTABLE IN ITS OWN SKIN TODAY. That is all ... and defense of their level of vibrancy in its own right to defend.

The city has a more vibrant and booming core then it has seen for many decades even waaaay back. Just virtually all is more centered in its heart vs throughout the city. A clear city split in two. But even that is not new.

It's just as New Yorkers taking offence in someone claiming its grimy and over-crowded too much of what should be a good thing..... that to them is off the mark and THEY TAKE OFFENSE. But to some it has gotten overwhelming today. It isn't for everyone. Why many may see other cites are a better fit for them.

I myself prefer Chicago's density and in the neighborhoods - it can still be peaceful ..... yet with ALL the Big city offerings one could need still right there. Blocks of attached sure-dense wall of tenements (as NYC)? Are not everyone's idea of the best. Nor blocks of a wall of attached row-homes to the sidewalks. I'd say Chicago is more the perfect density where you really lack nothing in top attributes even by NYC standards. As it did much more in the past. TODAY IT NEED NOT FEEL INFERIOR IMO.

I remember the days ..... many Chicagoans and suburbanites.... downtown was dead to them. Just another declined neighborhood they wrote off. TODAY IT'S PRIDE IN IT. Nothing wrong with Pride.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:47 PM

^There's the proud athlete that lettered in three sports, but doesn't seem to speak about it much. Then there's the guy who lettered in football, and wears his letterman jacket everywhere.

New York, the former. Chicago the latter.

Said it once, and I'll say it again. I love Chicago. It's a true American gem. It is not, ESPECIALLY BASED ON THE CRITERIA THAT WAS GIVEN TO US IN THE OP, the greatest city in America. Detroit had its day. Chicago had its day. Plenty to be prideful of, and I am: I LOVE showing people around my hometown. Not one person says anything other than "Wow, what a great city." Nobody said you can't be proud.

Lets circle back to the OP- My vote is for New York.

The Chicago defending is at an all time high, man. Didn't think it could get higher when I left, but it seems it may have. To the point that we can't even call out it's issues, and mention it's successes.

Yikes.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:50 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,364,334 times
Quote:
^I totally believe that YOU are comfortable with Chicago.

On behalf of all Chicagoans, can we stop now everyone? Just be you. You don't see Boston and Seattle pumping their chest nearly as much. It's like Texas 2.0 the last decade.
We get it. You lived in Chicago and moved around, and think that NYC is the greatest. You now have perspective on Chicago and claim to love it, but can't wait to get a dig. You are not the only one who has moved around; I have five states under my belt including Massachusetts and California like you. I have been in Chicago for a while now, and have watched the downtown develop and spread in all directions ( not in the lake of course (: . I think Chicago is a great city, and really one of those that are livable. My time in Boston was an experience with a crowded town that is expensive, Seattle has the same problem right now. You claim that Chicago's affordability makes it somehow weak, since it does not have pharma, etc. and it has only three ( i count four, Grant, Lincoln, Reagan and Obama since Illinois made his career) presidents compared to NYs seven ( not sure where that came from?) bla bla bla. And now the comment that Chicagoans are not themselves but chest thumpers for the last decade.

The one thing that I dig about Chicago is the fact that the people here are really proud of their city. For the last decade under Obama the city was under a microscope, and maybe people got defensive because they were so fed up. But while you were sleeping in far off cities, the downtown blossomed, and continues to do so. You think that people in Chicago are some raving phoney boosters without a reason to be so. I think that they genuinely love their city, and that is exactly who they are, whether long suffering Cubs fans, architecture fans, or whatever. Just accept it.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:11 PM

Who *we* are.

And for those who are on the defense, you can find a post just last week where I stated that pound for pound, Chicago might provide the best quality of life when considering value. As for the cost of living comment, and the correlation with it being weak. Huh? What? It's private sector isn't comprised of what the booming cities are feeding off of. That's a weakness. If anything, the low cost of living is a strength, hence my comment regarding quality of life. And also why I moved back to Chicago for almost five years after college instead of NYC.

Anyways, it doesn't mean we can't admit the major issues that exist. And it doesn't mean we can't show pride. But the Chicago vs. NYC narrative absolutely exists, and it's played out.

All of the nice things you just said in your post are mirrored in my prior posts. Great people, great sports town, yet admitting or talking about the problems is off limits for you guys? People from Boston are proud as hell, but they're also self deprecating. Seems like there's no place for honest and contrite feedback. Are we going to pretend like everything is perfect? Or is there room for debate on the very public issues?

Last edited by mwj119; 12-14-2017 at 07:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.