Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 02:46 PM

655 posts, read 2,183,643 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon all!

I am a 27-year-old gay Latino, currently living in New Orleans. In a year, I expect to relocate, and wanted to seek out advice on cities that would meet the criteria I'm sharing below. I am an educator looking to leave education, and have previously worked in hospitality, primarily in Human Resources. I'm not sure what job options I'll be pursuing, but I wanted to start my research by focusing on cities that seem right for me, and then I'll move onto looking into jobs.

Progressive/Liberal city -- blue is definitely my color
Gay-friendly
Latino population and/or option to seek it out nearby
Bigger city (I'm originally a New Yorker, size does not scare me)
Affordability (Not interested in extreme costs of living like New York or San Francisco)
Good job prospects (I'm open to options, hopefully earning at least 50k)
Dog friendly (my pup will be joining, and it's important for me to have either a yard or access to parks nearby)

I love driving, but am also good at public transportation. I like beer, books, bars, and brunch. I like to travel, and would like to be near a decently-sized airport. I don't think I'd mind sprawl, nor would I mind density. I have street smarts and am not particularly worried about crime rates, though less would obviously be better.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 02:51 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Chicago.

Old 05-28-2017, 03:10 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Denver. Moderately liberal, 30% Hispanic, lowest unemployment rate in the country, very dog friendly, and cheaper than New York and San Francisco.

Old 05-28-2017, 03:20 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Yeah, I'll say Denver too because I presume you can afford it.

Old 05-28-2017, 03:24 PM

162 posts, read 149,508 times
You sound a lot like myself; I joined not too long ago looking for similar answers. I am gay, in my mid 20s, and love traveling and would like some affordability. I am looking at Orlando for grad school, but I am also keeping my options open.

Two considerations for you:

Columbus and Philadelphia

Old 05-28-2017, 04:41 PM

93,370 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Just to throw something different out there, but Rochester NY could fit. Being that it is hard to gauge the jobs aspect, pretty much everything else fits. I'd say to look into neighborhoods in the city's SE Quadrant: https://rocwiki.org/Southeast_Quadrant

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1481...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1465...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/place/So...063541!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1384...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1590...1!2i38!6m1!1e1

Cleveland may be another area to look into.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:58 AM

93,370 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Actually, another option may be the Detroit area. Ferndale just north of the city/just south of Royal Oak and in the Woodward Corridor would be a good place to look in terms of a LGBTQ presence(the Palmer Park area of Detroit may be another option). SW Detroit and some nearby Downriver suburban cities is where the Hispanic/Latino(mainly Mexican) population is located.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:34 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Denver would be a great fit as it hits all of your criteria. I have also found the LGBT community quite possibly the friendliest of any city I have visited.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:37 AM

51 posts, read 51,688 times
I would recommend Miami if you're gay and Latino and both are somehow important to you.

COL in Miami is approximately the same as Chicago according to most calculators. So Cheaper than NYC and San Francisco.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:26 AM

408 posts, read 998,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
Good afternoon all!

I am a 27-year-old gay Latino, currently living in New Orleans. In a year, I expect to relocate, and wanted to seek out advice on cities that would meet the criteria I'm sharing below. I am an educator looking to leave education, and have previously worked in hospitality, primarily in Human Resources. I'm not sure what job options I'll be pursuing, but I wanted to start my research by focusing on cities that seem right for me, and then I'll move onto looking into jobs.

Progressive/Liberal city -- blue is definitely my color
Gay-friendly
Latino population and/or option to seek it out nearby
Bigger city (I'm originally a New Yorker, size does not scare me)
Affordability (Not interested in extreme costs of living like New York or San Francisco)
Good job prospects (I'm open to options, hopefully earning at least 50k)
Dog friendly (my pup will be joining, and it's important for me to have either a yard or access to parks nearby)

I love driving, but am also good at public transportation. I like beer, books, bars, and brunch. I like to travel, and would like to be near a decently-sized airport. I don't think I'd mind sprawl, nor would I mind density. I have street smarts and am not particularly worried about crime rates, though less would obviously be better.

Any suggestions?
I echo what a previous poster wrote, and suggest Chicago. I grew up there so can answer more questions specifically if you wish, in a PM. Otherwise, it fits many aspects to a decent enough degree.

Votes blue, Democrat government (take that for what it is...), many gays, many Latinos, large population, dog-friendly for the most part, two airports with direct flights domestically/abroad, fair public transportation. Unfortunately, I consider Chicago's reputation of crime (deserved and undeserved) to be an embarrassment as I travel more and more abroad, and even domestically.

I am unfamiliar of the COL compared to NYC/SF (though I assume it's cheaper) or job prospects in your field. I cannot comment on how it is to drive in Chicago as I have not driven elsewhere regularly; it was "normal" to say the least. Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.