Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 05:14 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
As long as you have the correct zip you should not have an issue getting your mail. But when filling out your address on paperwork/other forms, especially government papers, you cannot put Queens, NY. You have to put the neighborhood. It's the only borough in NYC that is like that.
there are places where putting the township or the specific boro of a township on your licence are acceptable.

Quote:
1. Manhattan is New York, NY not "n.y.c., ny"

2. NYC is much more than just Manhattan and I'm sure most people are aware of that.
yeah youre rite; most people are (i hyperbolize too much). but youd be surprised, a lot of people just dont care about all 5 burrows and just visit times square/broadway... and not even think about anywhere outside of the island still being new york (maybe brooklyn these days gets some mind-share).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 05:37 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times
Yeah, on city data most people know but go to parts of the U.S were only 5% of the population has gone to NYC, some people think Manhattan itself has 8 million people and is NYC while the rest are "suburbs" or "principal cities".

Old 05-13-2017, 10:24 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivenine View Post
In the south, people who live in rural areas will say they are from "so and so county" people who live in a significant population center 30,000-50,000 pop or greater will say they are from "so and so city".

Example:
Someone who lives in Davidson (Nashville) or Montogomery (Clarksville) will say they are from Clarksville or Nashville. Someone who lives in Cheatham or Hickman Counties (two rural Middle TN counties) will be more likely to say that they are from Cheatham or Hickman Counties instead of using the town/city names associated with those counties.
Yeah, because nobody knows where they are. That happens in PA, too.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:38 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,551,946 times
Everyone in Richmond refers to Chesterfield, and Henrico as "the county". More recently, it seems to have a negative ring to it.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:59 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,219,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
there are places where putting the township or the specific boro of a township on your licence are acceptable.
Queens isn't. Queens is weird. Since Queens is part of NYC there would be no townships. There would be the City of New York but that's not something you can put on your license either. You either put the specific neighborhood name or a somewhat nearby neighborhood from a more simplified map of Queens.

When I lived in Queens I could either put "Forest Hills, NY", which was the neighborhood I lived in, or "Flushing, NY" which is the neighborhood Forest Hills gets grouped in with in the simplified version.

I never understood why it's done this way. Queens is the only part of NYC that does this.

Brooklyn = "Brooklyn, NY"
The Bronx = "Bronx, NY"
Staten Island = "Staten Island, NY"
Manhattan = "New York, NY"

But Queens is a huge cluster****. And all of this is one city.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:30 PM

1,122 posts, read 924,595 times
Texas.
"Out in the county, you can build any damn way you please.... Here in the city proper, you can't."
"That's Tarrant County. There's no consumer protection. Whole nuther world son.... you can smell the cow dung halfway to Erving."
"Son, this is Williamson County, not that ___gy Travis. We still throw people in prison for smoking that funny weed, and we execute on the spot of you get honry."

Old 05-15-2017, 12:28 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Quote:
Queens isn't. Queens is weird. Since Queens is part of NYC there would be no townships. There would be the City of New York but that's not something you can put on your license either. You either put the specific neighborhood name or a somewhat nearby neighborhood from a more simplified map of Queens.

When I lived in Queens I could either put "Forest Hills, NY", which was the neighborhood I lived in, or "Flushing, NY" which is the neighborhood Forest Hills gets grouped in with in the simplified version.

I never understood why it's done this way. Queens is the only part of NYC that does this.

Brooklyn = "Brooklyn, NY"
The Bronx = "Bronx, NY"
Staten Island = "Staten Island, NY"
Manhattan = "New York, NY"

But Queens is a huge cluster****. And all of this is one city.
The Queens post offices are a reminder of when Queens was rural and divided into 6 Towns and 1 City. Each had their own Post Office that was divided into stations. Stations are local post offices that serve certain neighborhoods like your Forest Hills.

Queens before New York City
Flushing Town
Hempstead Town
Jamaica Town
Long Island City
Newtown (includes Forest Hills)
North Hempstead Town
Oyster Bay Town

In 1899, Hempstead, North Hempstead and Oyster Bay broke away from Queens County to form Nassau County. They did not want to be associated with New York City in any shape or form.
Queens part of NYC
Flushing
Jamaica
Long Island City
The Rockaways (the part of Hempstead that stayed in Queens)

At some point, the Newtown Post Office was merged into the Flushing Post Office.
Queens today
Flushing - former Towns of Flushing and Newtown, all zips codes beginning with 113xx (Forest Hills is 11375)
Jamaica - former Jamaica Town, all zip codes beginning 114xx
Long Island City - former City of Long Island City, all zip codes beginning with 111xx
The Rockaways - all zip codes beginning with 116xx

Old 05-31-2017, 11:00 PM

45 posts, read 32,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
From what I've heard, in the Bay Area people frequently will talk of counties. They'll talk of living in Marin County, or visiting wine country in Napa or Sonoma counties, without mentioning a specific city. Local news there almost always refers to a county as well as a city for their reports, saying so-and-so happened in Contra Costa or Alameda or Santa Clara County, often before mentioning a specific city.

And of course the city of San Francisco itself is conterminous with the county of San Francisco.
^Yep. In addition, Southern Californians often refer to Orange County.

In Chicagoland, people and the media usually use municipality names but do sometimes mention county names (especially Cook County, home of Chicago and by far the most populous county in the state of Illinois). The local term "collar counties" refers to the suburban counties immediately surrounding Cook County (Lake, McHenry, Kane, DuPage, and Will), which, except for rural and consistently Republican McHenry County, are crucial swing counties in state elections (although it is possible for a candidate to lose all the collar counties and still win a statewide election if he/she wins Cook County by a wide enough margin.)

Old 06-01-2017, 09:56 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,219,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
The Queens post offices are a reminder of when Queens was rural and divided into 6 Towns and 1 City. Each had their own Post Office that was divided into stations. Stations are local post offices that serve certain neighborhoods like your Forest Hills.

Queens before New York City
Flushing Town
Hempstead Town
Jamaica Town
Long Island City
North Hempstead Town
Oyster Bay Town

In 1899, Hempstead, North Hempstead and Oyster Bay broke away from Queens County to form Nassau County. They did not want to be associated with New York City in any shape or form.
Queens part of NYC
Flushing
Jamaica
Long Island City
The Rockaways (the part of Hempstead that stayed in Queens)

At some point, the Newtown Post Office was merged into the Flushing Post Office.
Queens today
Flushing - former Towns of Flushing and Newtown, all zips codes beginning with 113xx (Forest Hills is 11375)
Jamaica - former Jamaica Town, all zip codes beginning 114xx
Long Island City - former City of Long Island City, all zip codes beginning with 111xx
The Rockaways - all zip codes beginning with 116xx
Thanks for explaining. I always thought it was kind of crazy to group Forest Hills with Flushing, but it makes sense now. I had a teacher growing up that used to joke that it's because no one wants to admit they're from Queens... lol

Old 06-01-2017, 08:40 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,363 times
In Rhode Island, where I grew up, county government was abolished many, many years ago. In so doing, all local government functions were handed over to the state's cities and towns. However, county names and boundaries still exist for geographical and judicial purposes. Funny enough, most native Rhode Islanders -- who did not grow up with any form of county government or recognition, mind you -- will refer to the state's southernmost county, Washington, as "South County." Peculiar, if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.