Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 11:46 AM

30 posts, read 79,621 times

Advertisements

discovered your country?

There is a distinct possibility that America was in fact first discovered by a European Prince in 1170, 300 years before Columbus, called Madoc Gwynedd

In the 18th century an Indian tribe was discovered that seemed different to all the others that had been encountered before. Called the Mandans this tribe were described as white men with forts, towns and permanent villages laid out in streets and squares. They claimed ancestry with the Welsh and spoke a language remarkably similar to it.

……….but the belief in their Welsh heritage still persists and is celebrated by a plaque placed alongside Mobile Bay in 1953 by the Daughters of the American Revolution.
"In memory of Prince Madog," the inscription reads, "a Welsh explorer who landed on the shores of Mobile Bay in 1170 and left behind, with the Indians, the Welsh language."
There is also a theory that the "Welsh Caves" in Desoto National Park, northeastern Alabama, were built by Madoc's party, since local native tribes were not known to have ever practiced such stonework or excavation as was found on the site.

The discovery of America - by the welsh prince Madog in the 12th century, hundreds of years before Columbus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 11:56 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
With all the Jones, Williams, Hughes, Harris, Thomas, Roberts, Davies, Griffith, Powell and other names in this country, we're already pretty Welsh.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:02 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
I would't say that the Welsh "discovered our country"...they may have discovered and colonized a particular area of it, as did the French, Spanish, Dutch, Norse, British, and any others I might be leaving out.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:18 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,164 times
Just so happens tommorow is Leif Erikson day. He discovered America 1001

"Christopher Columbus was not the first European to discover the New World! This commonly held belief is wrong. Columbus didn't reach the New World until 1492, 500 years after Leif Erikson's arrival in 1001 AD.
Leif Erikson was the first European to set foot in the New World, opening a new land rich with resources for the Vikings to explore. But for some unknown reason, the Vikings only made a few voyages to the New World after Leif. Unfortunately, this caused his discovery to remain unknown to nearly all of Europe, which was in the midst of the Crusades. "

YouTube - Happy Leif Erikson Day

Old 10-08-2009, 01:00 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
That's a dubious claim. Even the article acknowledges that Leif Erikson discovered America, then it immediately claims that these Welshmen followed Leif Erikson, and... discovered America. It makes no sense.

It seems peculiar. How in the hell did Welshmen end up sailing into in Mobile bay? It doesn't seem logical that they would breeze down the east coast, around Florida, head back north, and all the way to the Alabama gulf coast.. and the article makes no attempt to justify how or why this occured.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:07 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,892,512 times
There's an old folklore that the Vikings discovered America and landed in Rhode Island. This is due to the existence of the fabled "Viking Tower" that's been around for hundreds of years but no one knows its origin

[url=http://www.unexplainedearth.com/newport.php]UnexplainedEarth: Newport's Mystery Tower[/url]

Old 10-08-2009, 07:37 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
I've heard the story of Modoc. It's a tad speculative, not particularly credible.

There are many ideas on Pre-Columbian contact. There are those who say St. Brendan discovered America before the Vikings. There's actually some evidence that Polynesians reached the West Coast of South America at or before the time of the Vikings. That theory involves knowing your chicken.

Polynesians beat Columbus to the Americas - life - 04 June 2007 - New Scientist

Then there are theories of Jews discovering America. I think Mormonism makes such a claim. I read of a claim of a twelfth century Japanese boat in Ecuador. As well as all those theories on the Chinese reaching America. Oh and Carthaginians, Romans, Ancient Egyptians, the African kingdom of Mali, and even Indonesians. One of the more unusual ones I heard reversed it with Native Americans discovering Europe. I'm using the term "Native Americans" as the main one I'm familiar with involves Greenland Inuit explorers reaching Scotland or Ireland before Columbus.

http://www.press.uillinois.edu/books...252031526.html
http://www.amazon.com/American-Disco.../dp/0252031520

Old 10-08-2009, 07:40 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I've heard the story of Modoc. It's a tad speculative, not particularly credible.

There are many ideas on Pre-Columbian contact. There are those who say St. Brendan discovered America before the Vikings. There's actually some evidence that Polynesians reached the West Coast of South America at or before the time of the Vikings. That theory involves knowing your chicken.

Polynesians beat Columbus to the Americas - life - 04 June 2007 - New Scientist

Then there are theories of Jews discovering America. I think Mormonism makes such a claim. I read of a claim of a twelfth century Japanese boat in Ecuador. As well as all those theories on the Chinese reaching America. Oh and Carthaginians, Romans, Ancient Egyptians, the African kingdom of Mali, and even Indonesians. Two of the more unusual ones I heard reversed it. In one Greenland Inuit explorers reached Scotland before Columbus and in another Jesus was a Mayan.
Whoever landed and "discovered America" only discovered the small area they landed in...and it sounds like most of them had no idea where they were. They are all credible stories, but I wouldn't credit any of them with discovering the entire continent.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:48 AM

30 posts, read 79,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Whoever landed and "discovered America" only discovered the small area they landed in...and it sounds like most of them had no idea where they were. They are all credible stories, but I wouldn't credit any of them with discovering the entire continent.
I would totally agree with that post!

Wales is such a little known country that we'll take any little thing like this!

I asked a few New Yorkers and they had never heard of Wales

Old 10-09-2009, 06:28 AM

8,615 posts, read 10,146,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkerwannabe View Post
I would totally agree with that post!

Wales is such a little known country that we'll take any little thing like this!

I asked a few New Yorkers and they had never heard of Wales
THAT is embarrassing...not only for New Yorkers, but for our entire country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.