Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 01:13 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellysocal View Post
I dont mind living in a smaller city. Im actually not a big city girl. I dont like traffic and smog and tons of homeless on all my street corners. But all the parts of CA that I know either are above my price range or are in the ghetto (not willing to compromise on safety!) or there are just zero jobs. But if you believe this place exists with affordable homes, available jobs, and in a safe rural or suburban area... do tell.
Well, there are plenty of options, but it depends on how far you're willing to go. Idaho, Iowa, Utah all fit those criteria so it depends how close to CA you want to be...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 02:08 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,738,957 times
Quote:
Im also open to CO (denver suburbs) and Asheville NC if the humidty is as low as Ive read
If you don't like "humidity" I'd stay away from the east coast. I lived there most of my life and I'm now on the west coast. Don't think I could go back. But don't go by humidity go by the dewpoint...that is what you should use to determine how comfortable an area is. I will say that if you had trouble with the winters in Washington that Oregon will not be much better unless you are referring to the east side or southern end of the state? I think Colorado is a good suggestion as it's quite sunny but I hear the winters can be somewhat harsh.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:26 PM

94 posts, read 130,261 times
Well I know that most of North Carolina is humid but AsheVille is supposed to be less so ... I track the weather every day but I haven't seen it yet for myself in person. Looks like it gets a lot of stormy weather. Seeing lots of thunderstorms but not necessarily rain.

I'm still open to Colorado because it seems there are jobs and seems safe enough and home prices are more affordable ... even though Apartments seem to be only a few hundred less than here in California. Not as cheap as I would hope. My main concern would be how much snow it actually gets in spring. Charts show 9 to 15 inches. The most snow I've driven in was Washington state which was not a lot. I'm not opposed to being cold because I hate being hot, but I'm not well-versed on functioning in snow... but maybe I can adjust over time. My main concern would be just driving in the snow.

I have looked into the Salt Lake City suburbs like Sandy and Midvale. Not necessarily opposed to Utah. But in addition to 15 inches of snow in the spring, there are those red air days, where the air quality is so poor it's suggested you stay inside. I'm an outdoor person so I don't like that. Also when I did visit Utah it seemed that everyone was either Mormon or a tweaker, and I'm neither. Not sure if I would fit in.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:08 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Well I know that most of North Carolina is humid but AsheVille is supposed to be less so ... I track the weather every day but I haven't seen it yet for myself in person. Looks like it gets a lot of stormy weather. Seeing lots of thunderstorms but not necessarily rain.

I'm still open to Colorado because it seems there are jobs and seems safe enough and home prices are more affordable ... even though Apartments seem to be only a few hundred less than here in California. Not as cheap as I would hope. My main concern would be how much snow it actually gets in spring. Charts show 9 to 15 inches. The most snow I've driven in was Washington state which was not a lot. I'm not opposed to being cold because I hate being hot, but I'm not well-versed on functioning in snow... but maybe I can adjust over time. My main concern would be just driving in the snow.

I have looked into the Salt Lake City suburbs like Sandy and Midvale. Not necessarily opposed to Utah. But in addition to 15 inches of snow in the spring, there are those red air days, where the air quality is so poor it's suggested you stay inside. I'm an outdoor person so I don't like that. Also when I did visit Utah it seemed that everyone was either Mormon or a tweaker, and I'm neither. Not sure if I would fit in.
Salt Lake City might be too hot for you, normal highs in July and August are in the low 90's, and they see several days in the 100's every year

Old 05-25-2017, 09:01 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
If you need a good economy and good churches and don't mind the heat but hate humidity and high costs of living, then maybe try West Texas?

Old 05-26-2017, 07:20 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,389,750 times
According to Terminex, the top ten states for mosquitos are:
Florida
Texas
Louisiana
Georgia
North Carolina
Alabama
South Dakota
Oklahoma
Montana
Virginia

According to Orkin the top ten cities for mosquitos are:
Atlanta
Chicago
Wahington
Detroit
Houston
Raliegh-Durham
Boston
Dallas
Charloette
Nashville

Old 05-26-2017, 08:14 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,389,597 times
Albuquerque can be a good fit for you

Old 06-06-2017, 07:48 AM

94 posts, read 130,261 times
Is there any place with san fran sort of weather without the san fran rent prices? Most days are in the 60s which is my perfect weather, but it so overpriced their. Even the states I look into that get cold in winter (like 10 or 15 degrees) or get a lot of snow (10 to 15 inches each month in spring ) seems to have summer days in the 80s and 90s... yuck. I know some people look forward to that weather but not me. Even oregon, with many overcast days most of the year ( which would be perfect minus having so much constant rain ) is having days in the 80s and 90s right now... and its not even summer yet. There must be more than one place out there that has those nice cool summer temps without the san fran price tag. Im not a city girl so I wouldnt be happy in san fran, aside from the perfect weather. Not into traffic and homeless beggars and drug addicts on the street corners. Experienced that in Portland, Seattle, and LA and its not for me. Dallas was surprising decent when I went, but of course its so hot there. Just looking for a mix of rural (nature) and suburbs ( safe, some stores nearby). Does this exist without having to pay 800,000 for a house? I work in Mortgage right now and watch all these people buying homes for like $150K but of course its in these states with horrible humidity or hurricanes or something awful like that.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:21 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
If days in the 80s and 90s are too hot for you, then CO is out of the picture, even without considering cold winter weather. I have witnessed "The Other White Flight" in CO--droves of CA transplants who moved out of CO after the first non-drought winter, aka snowy. Literally tiny forests of For Sale signs popped up in the beautiful, coniferous-treed but snowy "mountain" neighborhoods that are considered foothills.

Paying no more than $300k for a house also strikes Denver and burbs from the list, because you stated safety is important.

You can have mild winters, not-hot summers, and lower house prices in parts of WA, but you already nixed the gray winter days. Maybe SW OR (Medford area) would fit, if crime levels are acceptable to you.

Then there is pay scale to consider. Likely you would be looking at lower salaries where housing costs are low.

You can't have it all in any one place. Repeat over and over again.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:48 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times
You would probably like the great lakes region of the midwest. It's beautiful, lots of rolling hills, trees and green. Contrary to what a lot of people think, there's actually a lot to do in this region and it's very affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.