Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 05:02 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I have this image of down South hoods as being run down looking but not particularly urban/gritty
Agreed. Gritty and rundown aren't the same thing. There's not much gritty about Charleston. It has run down areas, like most cities. When I hear gritty, I think of something you'd see in Batman or an old Scorsese movie.

I don't agree with most of these but that's just my opinion. I think a lot of these places are just run down. Birmingham does have some post-industrial grit, but most of it is just a poorly maintained neighborhood with dilapidated houses and grass growing out of the asphalt. Type in "gritty neighborhood" and "run down neighborhood" on google and you get two different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 05:05 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I have this image of down South hoods as being run down looking but not particularly urban/gritty
The South isn't monolithic, just like every other region. There are many urban and gritty neighborhoods, especially in some of the largest cities.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:08 PM

386 posts, read 986,703 times
Norfolk/Portsmouth VA, Richmond/Petersburg VA, New Orleans, Birmingham, and Memphis are the most gritty and urban cities I can think of in the south.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:33 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I don't agree with most of these but that's just my opinion. I think a lot of these places are just run down. Birmingham does have some post-industrial grit, but most of it is just a poorly maintained neighborhood with dilapidated houses and grass growing out of the asphalt. Type in "gritty neighborhood" and "run down neighborhood" on google and you get two different things.
To me the biggest difference is a gritty neighborhood implies an area which is run down, but still mostly intact. E.g., there may be tons of abandoned buildings, but there's not a lot of vacant lots. Perhaps most key, it's not a very green area. A lot of bad neighborhoods in the South seem to have a lot of grass and trees, which takes away from the gritty vibe, making it feel more rural/backwoodsy.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:34 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,416,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Perhaps most key, it's not a very green area. A lot of bad neighborhoods in the South seem to have a lot of grass and trees, which takes away from the gritty vibe, making it feel more rural/backwoodsy.
I agree, most of the "gritty" neighborhoods in the South were communities built within wooded areas, instead of actually being planned and thought out. Which is why you get the rural aspect with all the greenery, no sidewalks, poor street designs.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:27 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,397,856 times
I can't think of any downtown area in the south that doesnt have sidewalks and can be described as rural and backwoodsy, or has street designs that could be described as poor relative to other regions of the country

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-22-2017 at 07:48 PM..

Old 07-22-2017, 08:57 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I can't think of any downtown area in the south that doesnt have sidewalks and can be described as rural and backwoodsy, or has street designs that could be described as poor relative to other regions of the country
The discussion isn't about downtowns. It's about urban neighborhoods outside of downtown.

To me the epitome of a gritty neighborhood is somewhere like Ironbound in Newark. It's not quite a ghetto, but it's working class. There's some street trees, but barely a blade of grass in site. And there are very few vacant lots, but many of the houses are run down and "remuddled" to some extent. There just aren't that many environments like that in the south, even in the relatively old cities.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:18 AM

417 posts, read 444,937 times
Memphis is the first that comes to mind. New Orleans and Birmingham also have a gritty feel to them.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:23 AM

1,023 posts, read 911,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The Ghent neighborhood in Norfolk retains some grittiness.
I agree with this. Norfolk tried its best to urban renew the grit away but luckily Ghent still retained some. I would even say that parts of downtown and granby have grit. Downtown Portsmouth as well.

For Richmond, I would say that Shockoe Bottom/ Shockoe Slip and Tobacco Row are nothing but grit. I would add Scotts addition, Manchester, Jackson Ward and Churchill as well.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:53 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,959,050 times
Jackson Ward, Carver and Scott's Addition neighborhoods are a great examples. I'll try to post streeviews later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.