Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 11:08 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
Canadian here...

Is there still a US state that does not require rear seat passengers to be belted up . I seem to remember that it was either New Hampshire or Vermont.
As far as I know in NY - anyone over 14 doesn't have to be buckled up in the back seat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 11:39 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
No left turns in much of New Orleans, you have to do the same thing as in Michigan.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:43 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
seems weird, but I heard that in South Dakota you drive on the left, but they don't get the word out very well as most all of the residents and visitors alike that I came upon steadfastly adhere to the drive on the right convention and get awfully worked up on anyone like me following the proper (if confusing) rule

Old 07-26-2017, 01:32 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
Canadian here...

Is there still a US state that does not require rear seat passengers to be belted up . I seem to remember that it was either New Hampshire or Vermont.
Any state with the cross-hatch, whether blue or red, does not require seat belts for back seat passengers. The ages vary from 7 (!!!!) to 18 depending on individual state law.

I know Michigan is 16 for back seat passengers. I lived in NC for 6 years and seriously had no idea it was required for adults. I'm pretty sure I buckled up anyway because my friends and coworkers were not great drivers, lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic laws in your state that cause problems for out of state drivers?-seatbelts.png  

Old 07-26-2017, 02:39 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
There are a few states (don't know which ones) where it is illegal to smoke inside your car if someone under age 16 is inside.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:36 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times
Here's a typical on/off-ramp intersection to I-25 in Colorado Springs (The Gazette). And as a bonus, we get three more non-timed signal lights!:

Old 07-27-2017, 12:40 PM

1,023 posts, read 912,972 times
In Virginia, anything over 80mph is considered reckless driving. So if you are driving on a 70 mph highway and are caught going 81 mph you can be charged with reckless driving. Also, reckless driving in Virginia is a misdemeanor criminal charge.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:57 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
In Virginia, anything over 80mph is considered reckless driving. So if you are driving on a 70 mph highway and are caught going 81 mph you can be charged with reckless driving. Also, reckless driving in Virginia is a misdemeanor criminal charge.
F'n VA.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:19 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
In Texas, I wasn't aware of this law where the cars getting off of a highway offramp has the right of way when merging onto a service road even if you're in the lane opposite from the lane receiving the merging traffic.. and even if there's no "yield sign".
That's the nature of the feeder road, a feature unique to the state. A bridge going over to drop/pick up traffic on the right would be overkill.

Another law in Texas allows passing on the right shoulder on a two-lane road if the car on the travel lane is stopped to make a left and yielding to traffic on the opposite side. That gets you a ticket in other states, so I don't try to make it a habit and just wait behind the car.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:17 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,973,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
In the Pittsburgh PA area, if a driver (or a line of cars) wants to turn left at a busy intersection but cannot do so because of the heavy oncoming traffic, then the first driver in the line is allowed to finally turn left after his light turns red and the oncoming traffic has stopped.
Do you mean when the light turns green?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_left

That is a strange custom and I could see it causing problems. In Los Angeles there is a sort of unwritten rule for unprotected lefts, which is most of the intersections in the city. After the light turns red, 2 cars get to turn left. Out of town tourists that don't go when the light changes will get honking and some gestures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.