Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Western Part of America is the Least Racist Part of America
Agree 26 30.59%
Disagree 59 69.41%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 11:32 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times

Advertisements

We are seeing a division in America unlike anything since the 1960's.

The planned rallies are going to shape the future, and it is scary. I think we are in for a rough road ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 02:40 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Reading through the posts, it looks to me that the OP has had his hat handed to him.

He had it coming. The whole purpose of the thread was to give the OP a chance to play one-up.
He failed.
WTH?
All you have to do is look at the maps and you see my point!
The ratio that CA has to TX and FL, is a lot lower than those two states.
The ration that WA has to Indiana and Tennessee (two states with similar populations) is low too.
The ratio that OR has to KY, again, similar sized states, is a lot lower.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:51 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
From your post, I don't know if you are ageeing with me or not. I am a Washington State native and I can say most here are not judgmental due to race.
That's fine.
But have you ever been a Black man in Mississippi - or in his case, Georgia? That's where he's coming from.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:42 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Here's a list of the cities with upcoming far-right (white supremacist?) marches planned. The Midwest is the only region not represented. Four of these cities are in the West.

• Atlanta
• Austin
• Boston
• Los Angeles
• Mountain View, California
• New York
• Pittsburgh
• Seattle
• Washington, D.C.

The far right is planning 9 rallies nationwide this weekend alone - CNN
Boston and D.C. are likely not because of what those cities represent. D.C. Is the center of policial powerin the country so tons of protests happen there that have really nothing to do with the atmosphere in the actual city. In Boston being the cradle of the Revolution it's similar the line goes kind of like this "Boston fought for what was right and formented a revolution once, they can do it again". You can see this in the fact one of the biggest Tea party (wonder where they got that name) rallies happened on Boston Common in a state that hadn't elected a Republicsn to federal office since 1994.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:54 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,418,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
We are seeing a division in America unlike anything since the 1960's.

The planned rallies are going to shape the future, and it is scary. I think we are in for a rough road ahead.
This generation isn't like past gens; if anything those people who orchestrate those rallies are in for a rude awakening if they think those rallies are going to go smoothly. I've met several people from LA and NYC who'd wish those Alt-Right guys would've came through their cities instead of Charlottesville.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:57 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
WTH?
The ration that WA has to Indiana and Tennessee (two states with similar populations) is low too.
In my experience, tolerance is best when the two races, Black and White, are thoroughly mixed.

My town is about 60-40. The high school is about the same; 60-40/White-Black.
I have lived in lots of places; WA-CA-IL-GA-AL-VA-TX, and now MS. And the town I live in now is the most thoroughly mixed I have ever lived in. My neighbor is Black, people at the church are Black, and 3 months ago we were asked to speak at the funeral of a dear Black friend who died. We were the only speakers in a packed church.
I have said many times, "The best thing about our town is that we just get along".

To have someone from somewhere where there are 5 Black people for every 100 Whites come along and claim that they are "more tolerant" is ludicrous.
It would be equally ludicrous for a Black person from a town that is 90% Black to claim that they are the truly tolerant people!

This whole idea of trying to "out tolerate" each other is absurd. Either you respect your fellow human or you do not. And it IS a choice.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:26 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Re: the PNW

Old 08-17-2017, 03:31 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,877,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Here's a list of the cities with upcoming far-right (white supremacist?) marches planned. The Midwest is the only region not represented. Four of these cities are in the West.

• Atlanta
• Austin
• Boston
• Los Angeles
• Mountain View, California
• New York
• Pittsburgh
• Seattle
• Washington, D.C.

The far right is planning 9 rallies nationwide this weekend alone - CNN
Where is the list of city's with far left marches ?

Old 08-17-2017, 04:53 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
WTH?
No, that is not the case; according to your source, California has 79 groups while Texas has 55 groups, or, in other words, .00201 per 1000 people in California versus .00197 per 1000 people in Texas. There is practically no difference between the two states and it only appears that way to you because the ones in California overlap more. Florida, for whatever reason, has 63 groups, which is very high. Meanwhile, Washington has .00288 per 1000 people and Oregon has .00269 per 1000 people.

I mean, yeah, Washington and Oregon have less than Indiana, Tennessee, and Kentucky, but they have notably more than Texas. This despite Texas having approximately the same population density and more spread out population centers, which should lead it to have more hate groups based on proximity. By this measure, the West Coast is more racist than Texas, although I don't think this even is a good way to measure racism (granted, I don't have a better alternative).

https://www.splcenter.org/hate-map

Old 08-17-2017, 05:01 PM

511 posts, read 400,124 times
It doesn't matter which part of the country you're in, there will always be racists wherever you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.