Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 06:11 AM

160 posts, read 342,888 times

Advertisements

As we all know, there are many places in U.S. where Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Italian, Greek and other languages are spoken.
So I'm wondering, is there any town/neighborhood in the U.S. where Brits are the majority of population and British English is most commonly spoken language?

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 06:15 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,149,121 times
There are a lot of British tourists and residents in Orlando. In the areas of town by Disney World and Davenport, there are a lot of English transplants, restaurants, bars and businesses.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:41 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
There are tons of Brits in many US cities, but I cannot think of an area of recent Brit immigrants that you could call "Little London" or Englandtown (although there is a place called Englishtown, NJ but I don't think it's majority Brit these days). The dozen or so Brits I've worked with in recent months who live in NYC are scattered all over the place. They tend to be able to afford, and hence live in, some of the most affluent neighborhoods in the City.

Edit: I'll add that I think the closest thing you may find to a community where most people speak a form of British English is if you look to places like Tangier Island, Virginia. It's an isolated community where the local dialect is said to be sort of a fossilized or remnant of 17th Century English

Last edited by lammius; 03-14-2008 at 07:52 AM..

Old 03-14-2008, 10:34 AM

681 posts, read 3,036,071 times
I agree. I don't think there are big dialect communities for British English like there are for other languages. I'm curious about Tangier Island, though...I'm going to have to look that up.

I have noticed a lot of British slang seems to be filtering into American English lately, though...

Old 03-14-2008, 10:47 AM

2,245 posts, read 7,192,439 times
On certain islands in the Chesapeake Bay, supposedly there are communities there that still speak in a 17th century English accent.

Mid-Atlantic travel guide - Wikitravel

Old 09-27-2009, 03:37 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
There are tons of Brits in many US cities, but I cannot think of an area of recent Brit immigrants that you could call "Little London" or Englandtown (although there is a place called Englishtown, NJ but I don't think it's majority Brit these days). The dozen or so Brits I've worked with in recent months who live in NYC are scattered all over the place. They tend to be able to afford, and hence live in, some of the most affluent neighborhoods in the City.

Edit: I'll add that I think the closest thing you may find to a community where most people speak a form of British English is if you look to places like Tangier Island, Virginia. It's an isolated community where the local dialect is said to be sort of a fossilized or remnant of 17th Century English
Tangier Island accent

YouTube - The odd accent of Tangier VA (from AMERICAN TONGUES)

Old 09-27-2009, 04:01 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
This is more the case in Canada

Old 09-27-2009, 05:47 PM

657 posts, read 1,504,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpHawkeye View Post
I have noticed a lot of British slang seems to be filtering into American English lately, though...
I'm a fan of British slang. Can you list some examples of what you've heard entering American English? Is it rhyming slang or just general terms?

Old 09-27-2009, 05:59 PM

398 posts, read 1,318,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
I'm a fan of British slang. Can you list some examples of what you've heard entering American English? Is it rhyming slang or just general terms?
I've been hearing the word "dodgy" a lot around here!

Old 09-27-2009, 09:23 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
http://www.city-data.com/top2/h42.html

Santa Monica, California seems to be the largest city listed. However this is for "born in the UK" and not specifically England. So far all I know Santa Monica just has lots of Scottish-accented people or they're all British transplants who abandoned their accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.