Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 05:47 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The ghetto in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Doesn't look nearly as bad as the ghetto in Baltimore with the crumbling housing projects. Some of it could be mistaken for a small rural town in fact if you didn't know where it was. Most of the homes in this video are still single family homes vs the depressing high rise public housing blocks or the dilapidated row houses of Baltimore, Detroit, Chicago, Philadelphia and the Bronx/Harlem. New Orleans has more depressing, visually ugly ghettoes but a lot of the NOLA slums are still not QUITE as depressing looking as Baltimore's.
Correction .... Chicago has TORE DOWN All its former failed high-rise .... Housing Projects. They are gone. Only some remnant town-houses remain that predate the high-rises that were added.

Also Chicago is one of the lowest % of cities with Row-homes. It has some high-end Gilded-age varieties but it was not common for the masses and virtually none built by the 20th century. So There is EXTREMELY little row-homes in the HOOD neighborhoods. In fact many hood neigh orchids of Chicago were some neighborhoods with more frontage of green-space as there were not originally poorer neighborhoods, but more upper middle-class. But even within its hoods are better and worst areas.

Interesting link of Chicago's WORST HOODS by crime and income. Some are part of its bungalow-belt too where all have a front-lawns.

https://www.roadsnacks.net/these-are...neighborhoods/

^ LINK HAS A VERY FUNNY VIDEO ....WITH HOOD PICTURES THAT SHOW THE CITY SET-BACK GRID w /FRONTAGE.
OR VIEW IT BELOW ⤵

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0Ub40fKSt4

Chicago also has few neighborhoods of any homes built right to the sidewalk and street. Standard setbacks for green was one result of its Great Fire and a more unattached housing city. Areas of homes closest to streets are those blocks the city rise streets in the early 20th century and better drainage. But the streets also got widened.

Also with the city having removed the worst blight in the 90s. Most hoods do not look too bad at all. They receive at least bi-monthly street-sweeping and 90% of the city has alleyways behind homes to hide trash better. But it left some areas with grass lots and even blocks ..... returned to prairie till new infill in renewal can come. Also its power-lines grid runs down the alleys, freeing them from those ugly poles in front of homes in some cities that can ruin a nice home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 05:50 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
The ghetto in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Doesn't look nearly as bad as the ghetto in Baltimore with the crumbling housing projects. Some of it could be mistaken for a small rural town in fact if you didn't know where it was. Most of the homes in this video are still single family homes vs the depressing high rise public housing blocks or the dilapidated row houses of Baltimore, Detroit, Chicago, Philadelphia and the Bronx/Harlem. New Orleans has more depressing, visually ugly ghettoes but a lot of the NOLA slums are still not QUITE as depressing looking as Baltimore's.
Correction .... Chicago has TORE DOWN All its former failed high-rise .... Housing Projects. They are gone. Only some remnant town-houses remain that predate the high-rises that were added.

Also Chicago is one of the lowest % of cities with Row-homes. It has some high-end Gilded-age varieties but it was not common for the masses and virtually none built by the 20th century. So There is EXTREMELY little row-homes in the HOOD neighborhoods. In fact many hood neigh orchids of Chicago were some neighborhoods with more frontage of green-space as there were not originally poorer neighborhoods, but more upper middle-class. But even within its hoods are better and worst areas.

Interesting link of Chicago's WORST HOODS by crime and income. Some are part of its bungalow-belt too where all have a front-lawns.

https://www.roadsnacks.net/these-are...neighborhoods/

^ LINK HAS A VERY FUNNY VIDEO ....WITH HOOD PICTURES THAT SHOW THE CITY'S SET-BACK GRID w /FRONTAGE.
OR VIEW IT BELOW and hoods of brick bungalows. ⤵

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0Ub40fKSt4

Chicago also has few neighborhoods of any homes built right to the sidewalk and street. Standard setbacks for green was one result of its Great Fire and a more unattached housing city. Areas of homes closest to streets are those blocks the city rise streets in the early 20th century and better drainage. But the streets also got widened.

Also with the city having removed the worst blight in the 90s. Most hoods do not look too bad at all. They receive at least bi-monthly street-sweeping and 90% of the city has alleyways behind homes to hide trash better. But it left some areas with grass lots and even blocks ..... returned to prairie till new infill in renewal can come. Also its power-lines grid runs down the alleys, freeing them from those ugly poles in front of homes in some cities that can ruin a nice home.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:19 PM

201 posts, read 220,088 times
^I went to a bad part of Washington D.C. and I must say the homes didn't look terribly run down or anything. The thing that made it seem like a bad neighborhood was that there were bars and literally every window of every home in sight.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:48 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,511,503 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gFHZR-wOJk

THis is the ghetto in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Doesn't look nearly as bad as the ghetto in Baltimore with the crumbling housing projects. Some of it could be mistaken for a small rural town in fact if you didn't know where it was. Most of the homes in this video are still single family homes vs the depressing high rise public housing blocks or the dilapidated row houses of Baltimore, Detroit, Chicago, Philadelphia and the Bronx/Harlem. New Orleans has more depressing, visually ugly ghettoes but a lot of the NOLA slums are still not QUITE as depressing looking as Baltimore's.
How long has it been since you have been in Baltimore? Public housing projects are often hellish to actually live in, but they are mostly in pretty good physical shape on the outside. In fact, public housing usually looks a lot better than the rotting rowhouses that are often nearby.

At any given time Baltimore has about 16,000 buildings that have been deemed unsafe and unusable. Some of these turn over, but there are probably 10,000 that will never be used again. Unfortunately, the demolition costs for attached rowhouses are so high that there isn't money to demolish but 500 or so of them each year. The problem in Baltimore isn't really increasing vacancy. Instead it is the inability to deal with past vacancy - hence, some really ugly slums. Even reviving neighborhoods need to have groups of houses demolished because they are too far gone.

Despite all that, some rotting neighborhoods in West Baltimore still hint at their former grandeur. They can be beautiful in their own disturbing way.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:08 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
New York!

Old 09-25-2017, 04:59 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
New York!
New York, ironically, has some of the ugliest nice neighborhoods. Well, at least two of them; Williamsburg and Greenpoint.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:22 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I’m really shocked people are saying Atlanta. Southern ghettos look especially run down, to me. Atlanta is no different. Twenty years ago, I would have said NYC, but most of the poor neighborhoods with good architecture have been gentrified.

Agreed!!! Some are saying the Green of the South softens the blow but IMO it makes the look so much worse to me. I hate seeing blighted lots in the South with overgrown grass, weeds, kudzu, etc. To me it kinda take even the Urban look away which can happen much easier in a Southern city like Atlanta vs. Chicago, Philly or NY. Don't let the house have been torn down and the lot not maintained, it's even worse and some cases feels more rural...

Old 09-25-2017, 06:40 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
New York, ironically, has some of the ugliest nice neighborhoods. Well, at least two of them; Williamsburg and Greenpoint.
I get what you're saying, but I find them to be way more aesthetically pleasing than cookie cutter suburbia

Old 09-26-2017, 07:08 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
When I think of ugly New York neighborhoods, I think of all the areas dominated by those mid-century cruciform towers like Stuyvesant Town.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:50 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
When I think of ugly New York neighborhoods, I think of all the areas dominated by those mid-century cruciform towers like Stuyvesant Town.
Those are virtually indistinguishable from NYC's housing projects, so, yes.

Greenpoint is really ugly, though.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7262...7i13312!8i6656

If you showed this streetview to anyone unfamiliar with the area, people would be shocked to learn, this is one of the most desirable areas for young people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.