Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2019, 11:57 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Person View Post
I get sick in summer.
Same. Last year I got sick at the end of August. Went through fall and winter without getting sick again. You get sick cuz little Jimmy sneezed in your goddamn cereal bowl, not because of the changing temperatures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 05:50 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,590,948 times
You guys are missing the point. Of course you can get sick any time of year. But you're all seriously telling me that you're unaware of the massive spikes in sicknesses every fall and spring?

Old 11-03-2019, 06:11 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
just went through another change of seasons sickness and every winter my nose runs like a faucet when outside in the cold....we are snowbirding starting in 2020. This winter, we'll Snowbird for 2 months.

I am glad the change of seasons lovers exist to allow more space in the milder climes.

PS - I also hate shoveling snow and scraping the ice off of my car in winter.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:25 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Done by 7:30? Man times have changed... back when I was a kid, 7:30 was when we STARTED!
I was surprised - but these were mostly small kids so I guess that makes sense.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:29 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
That's some bull. I got sick a lot more when I lived in Florida (no seasons.) This year, I've been sick only twice... first in May and second at end of July, beginning August. Neither of which are "season changing" months. Since moving to Minnesota, I've never once gotten sick in winter. Germs make you sick, not the weather. As a kid it felt I was sick every 4 months, and the seasons didn't really change.
^^ This ^^. You don't catch a cold from going outside with wet hair either. More people get sick in winter because more people are indoors spreading their germs. For me, whenever I moved to a new state I would get seriously ill. Maybe the stress of a long distance move, which reduces your immunity contributes to it but it happens to me every time.

Old 11-03-2019, 09:10 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
How is that not "easing into fall" though? I mean, what's more fall like than highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s? I understand if y'all were like us and went from 80/60 to 50/35 or something, which is similar to how it went from September through October this year.
60s/40s is Dec/Jan weather here, so it depends on the climate....

Old 11-03-2019, 09:38 AM

6,791 posts, read 4,236,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
^^ This ^^. You don't catch a cold from going outside with wet hair either. More people get sick in winter because more people are indoors spreading their germs. For me, whenever I moved to a new state I would get seriously ill. Maybe the stress of a long distance move, which reduces your immunity contributes to it but it happens to me every time.

It's been shown that a rapid change from cold/wet to dry/warm and vice versa is bad for the sinuses and creates an environment there favorable to infection. In winter, you constantly move between heated environments indoor and cold environments outside and it messes with your sinuses.

I personally detest both the way the air in a heated room feels on my nose and the way the cold, wet air on a windy winter's day out here feels like. It's like the worst of all worlds combined.

Old 11-04-2019, 05:38 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Interesting about the sinuses. I used to hate it when it was freezing outside and you'd go into a restaurant or diner or really just about anywhere and the heat would be so high that it would be stifling. I want to live someplace that has 4 seasons just not much snow or ice. I'm thinking Tallahassee. Now if I could just talk the rest of my family into moving there.....

Old 11-04-2019, 05:53 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I hate lugging heavy coats and scarves and hats and gloves around. And I really dislike stuffy heated places. I don't even like when my heat comes on at home and I have it set pretty low. I just really dislike breathing in heated air.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:32 AM

1,056 posts, read 725,422 times
I say they're extremely overrated. I wish it was spring year-round. Period. Autumn and winter are too depressing, but summer isn't exactly nice either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.