Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2019, 07:15 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times

Advertisements

I can't even imagine such low temperatures when it's still autumn. What is it like in January or is this unusual for your area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 08:07 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
However I am aware that on the internet you encounter all sorts of things that may appear daft or highly irregular.
You seem awfully defensive of your position. Is there a reason for that?

Old 10-29-2019, 08:19 AM

453 posts, read 344,939 times
I like the changing seasons. As long as the winters aren't too harsh with unending snowfall, which it wasn't last year. I don't think I would like the monotony of weather remaining relatively constant throughout the year. The changing leaves are gorgeous, snow is gorgeous, the buds and flowers that bloom in spring are gorgeous. Every season has something different to admire. I like that it's cold on Christmas, I like that there's a nip in the air on Halloween and Thanksgiving, I like that it's hot on the 4th of July. I like that spring, summer and fall bring out the neighbors and people get really excited for that random 60 degree day during winter or early spring. It's just a different feeling. It's not for everyone, though.

Old 10-29-2019, 09:20 AM

381 posts, read 349,131 times
I enjoy every form of weather I get in Chicago. Monotony would depress me. It has depressed me the times I visit the west in winter and it's warm.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:06 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Many reasons I am staying here: I'm 64, widowed 9 years ago, have had cancer twice since my husband died so I feel the need to stay close to my family. Plus my beloved only grandchild is here and she can't be moved away because of the custody agreement. My only sister and I are very close and she's 30-45 minutes away. I also own my house and I haven't been in it long enough to make enough of a profit to help me move. So I tolerate the long, hot summers as best I can but come this time of year I have had enough and want some cooler weather so I can open my windows and get some fresh air.

That's understandable. Hopefully you can get some middle ground eventually. I'm fortunate enough I'm still young and have the option to set roots where I like. Did you live in Florida all/most your life? I tolerated the heat better as a kid, but when I was 15 and saw snow for the first time I realised how sick of the hot weather I was. Guess I got a taste of what I was missing. Now I'm 25 and can't imagine living where it didn't snow/got cold.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
That doesnt change the fact that the leaves changing colors is part of the trees’ process of shutting down for the winter more or less. It therefore is linked to the proverbial death of nature in winter. Theres a reason we see youth as linked to spring and old age linked to autumn.

Your personal love of winter is understood and acknowledged. However I am aware that on the internet you encounter all sorts of things that may appear daft or highly irregular.

People have different tastes. As a teenager, I was told "How can you listen to that awful heavy metal music? It's so violent! It's just noise! Listen to this pop song instead." I say screw that. I view hot sunny weather the same way I view bubblegum pop. Okay every now and then but I get sick of it. I like variety in my music and my weather.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I get it. But that sets up a beautiful rebirth right?

The inner goth in me loves the beauty in death Part of why I love Halloween.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:50 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Person View Post
I enjoy every form of weather I get in Chicago. Monotony would depress me. It has depressed me the times I visit the west in winter and it's warm.
I still point to the post that says the seasons even influence the food you eat, or enhances it. BBQ is great, but even better in summer weather. Pho and chowder are great, but even better in cold weather. Whole roasted turkey on T-day or Xmas? Yes. On a random weekend in July? idk.

Old 10-29-2019, 02:25 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Not to say that it's wrong to like a change of seasons, but I personally don't see why people like it so much.

Anyone else feel this way?
No.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I still point to the post that says the seasons even influence the food you eat, or enhances it. BBQ is great, but even better in summer weather. Pho and chowder are great, but even better in cold weather. Whole roasted turkey on T-day or Xmas? Yes. On a random weekend in July? idk.

Don't forget freshly baked cookies on a snowy Christmas morning. Or even just chilly in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.