Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2019, 11:48 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Yes, but it was also mid 50s and rain for the few days in the Twin Cities preceeding that. Definitely sweater weather!
Not here in Milwaukee. Maybe at 3:00am.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/mi...weather/351543
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 11:49 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Saw Chicago was in the 60s recently. I think we’re done with 80s for a bit in the pnw

Old 09-22-2019, 11:06 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Outdoorsy, very active people do better in the West than the humid-hot Southeast I agree but the “Snow Belt” in the Upper Midwest and Northeast hardly lends itself particularly well to activities like hiking or mountain biking either (at least November through March).

What are you talking about? There's people in Minnesota hiking, bike riding, jogging etc. year round. A coworker of mine told me an anecdote of how in 1996, on a cold winter morning when it was -31 or so, he went out at 3 AM to make sure his car was starting fine... and at 3 in the morning in completely frigid weather, a random guy rode his bike right past him. Only in Minnesota would someone think -30 at 3 AM (3 AM any temperature, really) is a good time to ride a bike!

Have you ever heard of snow shoeing? Snow shoeing is hard to do outside Nov-Mar. In winter I see people snowshoeing on the lakes. I wanna try it out myself. I like to go ice skating and play hockey. Even at 7 degrees, hockey warms your body up real good.

Old 09-22-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
They count but they are more niche and specialized especially cross country skiing which in absence of mountains is the only kind you can do. And something like “Im within 2 hours of this or that“ doesnt really count because you can be anywhere in this country and easily take a weekend trip to go skiing.

I am about a 15 minute drive from Theodore Wirth park. It's a popular urban destination for cross country and yes, even some downhill skiing. How many people do you know actually ski down an entire mountain? Most people just do slopes anyway. I dunno what kinda privilege you have though, to easily take a weekend trip to go skiing from anywhere in this country lol. When I lived in Florida, the only time I ever went skiing was when we loaded up our cars and drove 12 hours to the mountains of Tennessee and spend thousands of dollars for a big family vacation, 80 dollars for each ski rental. Sorry we don't all live as luxurious as you, Donald Trump.

Old 09-22-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Ah the two hours by plane argument? Big difference between driving from Denver to A basin in two hours compared to flying. Don’t forget time spent in both airports, car rentals, hotels.

I hate flying anyway. I'd rather spend 24 hours in a car than 12 hours in a plane. 2 hours in a car goes by like nothing. 2 hours in a plane is a cramped mess of social anxiety and crying babies. That doesn't include the nightmare that is "airports".

Old 09-22-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I can only speak for myself but I plan for a trip to a location thats 2 hours by car the same Id plan for a destination that’s 2 hours by plane. Neither location would lend itself to a spontaneous excursion like one I could make to say the zoo in my city or a beach if you live in a city on the shore of a large body of water.

Point being that if I live in Detroit, Cleveland, Boston or Hartford I gotta plan my winter sports trips really no differently than someone living in Dallas or Atlanta. And of course cities in the Western stretch of the Sun Belt often actually have much easier access to winter sports than folks in Northeastern and Midwestern cities.

Thats why the West - whether North or South there - is more popular with just about all outdoor enthusiasts regardless of winter or summer preference.

Except that you can do winter sports in all those northern cities if you wanted to. And you act like the Berkshires don't exist, or the White Mountains in New Hampshire. Or do only the Rockies matter?

The West is popular for outdoor activities because the mountains and the culture. The South? The South still thinks Nascar is a sport. I lived in the South and aside from mostly rural areas, it is not outdoorsy at all. One of the banes of living in suburban Texas was how horrible it was for the outdoors. People there are not outdoorsy and those that are, flock to Arkansas or New Mexico because they realise there's no options in Dallas. Austin's a bit different but that also goes to the culture there, too.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:30 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I hate flying anyway. I'd rather spend 24 hours in a car than 12 hours in a plane. 2 hours in a car goes by like nothing. 2 hours in a plane is a cramped mess of social anxiety and crying babies. That doesn't include the nightmare that is "airports".
Yeah, but the difference there is 24 hours in a car equates to maybe 3 hours on a plane, not 12 hours.

24 hours non stop driving may get you half way across the country, 12 hours on a plane puts you half way around the world. Planes are no fun, but neither is wasting valuable time. I fly to the east coast and Hawaii several times a year, both of which are 6 hours flights, and I’ll do it all day along compared to the alternatives. Driving long distance, especially when you’re the one doing it, sucks.

I should also note that I’m 6’4” and now sit in the middle seat for my wife’s desire to have a window seat. I also never recline my seat for the sake of person behind me as well. If anyone should hate flying I should be near the top of the list.

Old 09-22-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Yeah, but the difference there is 24 hours in a car equates to maybe 3 hours on a plane, not 12 hours.

24 hours non stop driving may get you half way across the country, 12 hours on a plane puts you half way around the world. Planes are no fun, but neither is wasting valuable time. I fly to the east coast and Hawaii several times a year, both of which are 6 hours flights, and I’ll do it all day along compared to the alternatives. Driving long distance, especially when you’re the one doing it, sucks.

I should also note that I’m 6’4” and now sit in the middle seat for my wife’s desire to have a window seat. I also never recline my seat for the sake of person behind me as well. If anyone should hate flying I should be near the top of the list.

If I don't have the time, I fly. Otherwise, I'd rather drive. It's not about where I'm going, it's about the journey for me. I love seeing the changing scenery, passing through quaint towns, hearing the changing dialects and accents, trying the local foods, the quirky tourist stops (biggest ball of twine, anyone?) Plus, you're the one doing it. I would love flying more if I was the one flying the plane lol. But there's something that feels accomplished about saying that I (well, mostly my fiance, but I help!) drove all those hundreds and hundreds of miles!

Plus, your own music, your own snacks. No airline fare, just gas that can be split. You can sing along loudly, and tell jokes about bombs without being handcuffed! Win, win!

We're pretty lucky to live in a country with such beautiful scenery. Even the "boring" scenery is beautiful to me. As long as it's not polluted.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:59 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I love a nice long drive. I drove from Texas to DC by myself and it didn't last long enough. My last few comments have been directed at the guy who thinks location isn't really all that impt cuz you can fly anywhere.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I love a nice long drive. I drove from Texas to DC by myself and it didn't last long enough. My last few comments have been directed at the guy who thinks location isn't really all that impt cuz you can fly anywhere.

Yea, it's not realistic. Many of us still live paycheck to paycheck, and a lot of people have kids, pets and jobs that are complicated to ask off for. I plan vacations like that, months in advance. And I'm sorry but if I'm planning a ski trip to the mountains, I'm not doing a "weekend." I am doing a week, or close to one. That's a lot of stuff to do in just one weekend. If you're flying, dealing with the airport, car rental and your lodging takes up much of your first day, anyway. Not to mention winter flight delays and cancellations. Not something I'd advise doing for just a weekend. For all you know you may spend your weekend grounded at a Kansas City airport during a 2 day blizzard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.