Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 04:07 AM

20 posts, read 44,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpainter View Post
How much money have you saved up (American)? That would be a prime concern of mine. Otherwise, you should have no unusual problems
l haven't saved up much money. So l have to work part time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 10:30 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
Mr Paranoid_Android. No Sir, I do not hate Mexicans. I was Married to a Mexican National 5 yrs and lived in Mexico City 3 yrs. I now live in Baja Mexico 12 yrs. Am originally from Canada, now a American Citizen and like I said, retired in Baja. A student VISA is available for you without problems being an Attorney. Proof of funds (money) to survive on during your stay will be needed. WORKING is another problem. I was not being sarcastic when I referred to (working as a MEXICAN). There are MILLONS of Mexicans who crossed the border ILLEGALLY and are working without proper identification which would allow them to work in US LEGALLY. ANY ILLEGAL action on your part would automatically eliminate you from any FUTURE VISAS to visit/enter the US. As to Unversity...you would have to apply months in advance and then pay a hefty enrollment fee, all this of course if you are accepted. ALL LEGAL residents have issued a SOCIAL SECURITY number which has to be shown on applying for a job.(legally that is).Assuming you have a TOURIST VISA, you can always go to a PRIVATE BUSINESS that teaches ENGLISH without any problem. Many foreigners do this in order to assimilate in the country. Hope my (lay person) info helps you. My degree was not in LAW. Regards, Stefhen

Old 03-18-2008, 10:52 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
I don't know why you need to go to a university here. If you are coming here just to learn English, you can sign up to learn ESL at a lot of places, you don't need to go to a university. You can't work if you don't have the proper visa.

Even if you DID work part time illegally, you wouldn't earn enough money to live on.

Lots of places have ESL classes at night and some of them are free. You have to do some planning though, you need money to be able to come here and survive. All I can think of is to get the 3 month tourist visa and sign up for classes somewhere. I don't know how much English you could learn in 3 months but I don't see any other way for you to come here unless you had a student visa and lots of money to live on and to pay for the university classes. You would have to be accepted to study at the university and that really isn't worth it just to take ESL classes that are widely available outside of universities.

Also, you need to decide where in the US you want to stay to learn English -- this country is HUGE, really huge. If I'm not much help it's because what you're asking is vague and not well enough thought out. (Your English is good -- I used to tutor ESL and you have a great vocabulary and good usage of English.)

Old 03-18-2008, 11:00 AM

291 posts, read 831,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpainter View Post
I live in Los Angeles. This picture was taken yesterday
Now that's a city. Great photo

Btw, to the orignal poster, Paranoid Android by Radiohead is my alltime fave music album

Old 03-19-2008, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Some more details might be nice. 1-Do you prefer a certain kind of climate? Do you want a place that has a strong middle-eastern influence? 2-What size of city do you prefer? 3-How much can you spend for things like rent, food, etc? 4-Will you need public transportation? 5-Do you want to live in a neighborhood with people similar to you?
1- l don't prefer a place that has a strong influence.
2- l want to go to the theatre, the opera and ect in my spare times. So the city must has all of them.
3- The work will be determinent for this.
4- Yes, l need public transportation.
5-No. For example, l don't want to live in a neighborhood "who can speak Turkish" (for learning English).

(Thank you!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bagu
No Sir, I do not hate Mexicans.
l am really glad to hear that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bagu
Mr Paranoid_Android
Not Mr, it must be Miss

Mr. Bagu, you made a point of important things, thank you. Have you got any suggestion for me? What must l do? Could you help me please? Best regards..

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland
I don't know why you need to go to a university here. If you are coming here just to learn English, you can sign up to learn ESL at a lot of places
l prefer a univercity's programme , because it is more effective in a Turkish company. ( Maybe l used wrong words, l don't know, sorry about that.)

And thank you for your answer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroatWebWanderer
Paranoid Android by Radiohead is my alltime fave music album
Radiohead is my Life!

Old 03-19-2008, 11:44 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
A student visa would qualify you to work on the campus where you study, but not elsewhere.

It sounds like New York is best for you, but you are going to need money to stay there.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:57 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid_Android View Post
1- l don't prefer a place that has a strong influence.
2- l want to go to the theatre, the opera and ect in my spare times. So the city must has all of them.
3- The work will be determinent for this.
4- Yes, l need public transportation.
5-No. For example, l don't want to live in a neighborhood "who can speak Turkish" (for learning English).
St. Louis may work for you. And apartments can be had for cheap. There are theaters, operas, museums, and lots of parks, but probably not the extent that you would find in a city like New York. St. Louis is affordable, though.

St. Louis has 3 major schools, Washington University (best ranked, but expensive and hard to get into), St. Louis University (good school, almost as expensive, not as hard to get into), and University of Missouri St. Louis (pretty good school I think).

I love St. Louis, but there are areas that are dangerous, so if you decide to move to St. Louis I'd ask about the area (maybe on the St. Louis forum here). Most of St. Louis is safe, but North St. Louis can be rough in areas. But in any city you need to be smart. Don't flaunt money (if you have any), don't take rides from strangers, and if somebody looks suspicious then they may not be trustworthy. If you eventually do get a car don't leave valuables in plain site in the car.

Also, St. Louis can get into the 90s in summer and in the single digits with snow in the winter. New York has 4 seasons as well, though.

St. Louis is a great town. It's not as big as New York, but it's a little more affordable, and it's nice.

You should be able to get a 1 BR in St. Louis near MetroLink (public transit) for $400-$500 a year. There are also a lot of parks in the area. The zoo, most museums, and some other St. Louis events are free.

Anyway, wherever you decide, good luck!

How old are you? Just wondering.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:18 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
MS Paranoid_Android; Please except my apology as your initial post did not quite clarify your male or female gender. It has been over 50 yrs since my time in College. As I recall they never taught ENGLISH as a subject matter which normally is learned at the growing up stage in life. Children from other countries who move to the US gradually learn over the years. Today many ADULTS attend High School (secondary school) which is referred to as NIGHT SCHOOL (in the evening hours) to complete their education that they may have missed in their early years and had failed to Graduate. There are ENGLISH classes that you may attend, as there are many people from different countries in the same position as yourself who wish to learn ENGLISH. It is not neccessary to ATTEND a University as it is intended for all those who have completed High School and are going for their BA degree, or for Graduate Students going for their MA or PH.D. Those witha BA or above can go to Medical School or in your case continue on towards a J.D. degree which you must probably have now. As to the ARTS, from what I have read, NEW YORK city the PLACE TO BE. Having never lived there I can only reflect on what I have read. It is expensive. American saying is, "If you want to dance, you have to pay for the music". Your nearest American Embassy can help you with a lot of your questions, better then on C-D. A 90 day Tourist Visa would be nearest thing without you knowing someone reliable in a particular area of your choice. As I stated previously working would be very difficult specially for a person of your education background. Even then wages earned would not be enough to live on. Try (if possible) to get hold of a Newspaper from the city of your choice. There would be a classified section that would show work positions available and wages paid. Also apt rentals etc. I gave the same advice to an American women planning on a move to Mexico City where I had lived for 3 yrs. You can over stay your VISA, as many have done that. NOT A GOOD IDEA with your Education background. Thought just hit me. Many LAW STUDENTS work for LAW firms doing various background checks or writing BREIFS for the Attorneys. This would be an excellent place for you to check out. If a Law Firm wants you to work for them for a specific time period, they can SPONSER YOU, and you are in like Flynn. Regards, Stefhen

Old 03-19-2008, 08:42 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,783,220 times
What are you looking for? Do you want to live in a big city with lots of diversity? If so, I would recommend: New York, Boston, Chicago, or San Francisco. They all have good public transportation and are very vibrant, with lots of diversity.

Also, if cost of living is important those cities are all very expensive, Chicago is probably the least.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:31 AM

[QUOTE_Me]
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit
Ambition makes you look pretty ugly....kicking squealing gucci little piggy....Yeah, I know where you're coming from on that one

l didn't understand you, what did you mean?
For the information, thank you.
[/quote]

while l was looking at your writing l was occupied and l only saw the "piggy" "ugly" ) so l didn't understand. After my answer l read it again and l realised that it is the song's lyrics from P_A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.