Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 03:44 AM

20 posts, read 44,875 times

Advertisements

Istanbul isn't small but Istanbul's main language is Turkish, and l am a lawyer here. So it is not difficult to live here for me. l have a job in an insurance company as a lawyer in istanbul. l will give up my job on April and come to USA on May. (l was born in 1979)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpainter View Post
I'll check up on you tommorrow, good luck!
Thank you!

Quote:
..and if your real name is paranoid android, you're not going to have a good time
l will tell you my name by a private message.

(Have a good sleep/rest)

Old 03-17-2008, 08:08 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Paranoid Android...pretty much in every good-sized community, you'll find an English as Second Language course. After all, America is a nation of immigrants, so there is an ongoing effort to help people.

If you move to the South or the Midwest, you'll probably find a more helpful attitude on the part of local people as you struggle a bit with the language. People in those regions are more polite.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:38 AM

Thank you cpg35223. l will think about it.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:35 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
Nice thought coming to US. Question is under what terms? VISA wise...Tourist (no work permit), Student VISA...(still No work permit),Resident status (2-10 yrs maybe for a GREEN Card) you can then work legally, It would be possible to work ILLEGALY, ask any MEXICAN. Then again, to work as an Attorney, you would have to PASS the STATE BAR EXAM which is VERY STRICT in ALL states. Being said, you cannot practice LAW from one state to another state without due process of exceptence from the STATE BAR that you wish to transfer too. It is not like driving from state to state any time you wish.We have 50 states and each state has its own rules regarding PRACTICING LAW. Hope this trivial info from a NON practicing LAWYER (Lay person) helps, Welcome to USA. Stefhen

Old 03-17-2008, 05:14 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
The midwest may be good for you, but the weather can be harsh. People in the midwest and south are generally considered to be friendly.

NYC and LA are great, too, but they may be a bit overwhelming. But they'll probably have more of what you need.

Are you muslim? I'm just curious. Some places can be less accepting of Muslims. Actually, St. Louis has one of the largest Bosnian populations outside of Bosnia, and a lot of them are Muslim. And St. Louis recently got its first minaret. But I don't know if they're sunni or shiite, that might make a difference, since apparently they believe different things. But if you are Muslim, I'm not going to lie, there will be some resistance basically anywhere in the U.S. There's kind of mistrust of Muslims in recent years, unfortunately. You should be fine in any major city, but it may take people longer to warm up to you, even in the largest of cities.

If you're a Christian you should find a good church in basically any city, no matter your denomination. Seems like the midwest is more Catholic and the south is more protestant (pentecostal, Assemblies of God, Methodist, Lutheran, Baptist, etc...)

Any other religion should also be accepted in any major city.

Some more details might be nice. Do you prefer a certain kind of climate? Do you want a place that has a strong middle-eastern influence? What size of city do you prefer? How much can you spend for things like rent, food, etc? Will you need public transportation? Do you want to live in a neighborhood with people similar to you?

Any of those questions would help us narrow it down. The U.S. is so large you can probably find something you'll like.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:19 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
Also, if a school has an English Second-Language program it will usually be abbreviated ESL.

And your English is good, better than some Americans I know of.

This site ESL Slang Page: Complete Listing may help, since it has some American slang on there which can be confusing. Some of it is slang words that are not appropriate for every situation, though. If so, it'll say [offensive] next to it. So, if you don't want to see those words then avoid the page, but it may be better to know what they mean.
http://www.manythings.org/slang/ more slang.

If you hear someone say a word and then repeat it without really knowing what it means it can get you in trouble. I learned that when I was first learning English, as a kid. I also learned that from TV (Seinfeld).

Good luck!

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 03-17-2008 at 05:33 PM..

Old 03-17-2008, 07:42 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,183 times
Ambition makes you look pretty ugly....kicking squealing gucci little piggy....

Yeah, I know where you're coming from on that one .

In any case, what are you planning to study, aside from English as a second language? I assume you are planning to study in some kind of field or another. This will have a big impact on where you wind up, as different schools have different strengths and weaknesses (same in Turkey, I'm sure).

As for your prospective cities, NYC has massive numbers of immigrants but if money is going to be an issue for you, you may be better off avoiding it. There's a lot of opportunity there, but it is VERY expensive. Chicago could be an option if you don't mind the cold, its quite diverse and considerably less expensive. I know the Detroit metro has a large Muslim population, but the economy isn't doing so well. I was born and raised in New York and currently live in Chicago, so I know the most about those two places, if you have any more specific questions about them.

Word to the wise, though - if you are a Muslim, you should probably head for one of the larger metropolitan areas. You may have a difficult time fitting in otherwise, and there is still some anti-Muslim bias in certain places.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:59 AM

263 posts, read 798,771 times
How much money have you saved up (American)? That would be a prime concern of mine. Otherwise, you should have no unusual problems

Old 03-18-2008, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
It would be possible to work ILLEGALY, ask any MEXICAN.
Do you hate Mexican because of that?
And Mr.Bagu, l know that l can't work as a lawyer in your country and l don't want to. l will come to US only learning English and then l will come back to istanbul. l try to find legal way to work, so l asked all of you "could you help me please?" But l must to say that if l can't find legal way, l will work illegaly just like a Mexican! Thank you for your answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989
Are you muslim? I'm just curious.
l was born in a Muslim country but l am not a Muslim or a Christian. l don't believe religions. l believe my power, my friends's power, tree's power, ocean's power and ect. And l believe conscience. l can feel the energy which is scattered in the natural. Maybe it is Pantheism.
l am at work now (time is difference here about seven hours) and l can't check the words from dictonary now, l will read your writing again later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit
Ambition makes you look pretty ugly....kicking squealing gucci little piggy....Yeah, I know where you're coming from on that one
l didn't understand you, what did you mean?
For the information, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit
I assume you are planning to study in some kind of field or another.
l try to understand you but sorry, l didn't. l am at work now, l will try later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.