Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 11:01 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times

Advertisements

For me, Los Angeles is the obvious choice. I don’t think I expected it to seem so gritty and industrial, yet so completely different from the East Coast in its grittiness. In retrospect, a lot of movies that take place in LA really do depict the city as it is. It makes me wonder where I got the glitzy, polished vision of LA.

New Orleans, on the other hand is exactly what I expected it to be. I think my adoptive city, Pittsburgh surprises a lot of visitors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 11:58 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Being on city data so much, I haven't been surprised by any city I've been to.

One thing that always is a culture shock for me is the lack of alcohol availability n any other city.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:31 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
For me, Los Angeles is the obvious choice. I don’t think I expected it to seem so gritty and industrial, yet so completely different from the East Coast in its grittiness. In retrospect, a lot of movies that take place in LA really do depict the city as it is. It makes me wonder where I got the glitzy, polished vision of LA.

New Orleans, on the other hand is exactly what I expected it to be. I think my adoptive city, Pittsburgh surprises a lot of visitors.
Everyone I went to LA with felt the same way. They thought it would be glamorous but LA had a run down look, even in the supposedly good places.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:31 PM

828 posts, read 691,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Everyone I went to LA with felt the same way. They thought it would be glamorous but LA had a run down look, even in the supposedly good places.
This^^. LA away from the beaches is very underwhelming. It just isn't a well built environment. The natural environment is all that LA has going for it, and even that is really polluted. The LA area beach cities are really great though.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:06 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,861,014 times
Salt Lake City by far.

Very vibrant city with good sized nightlife. Huge infrastructure for a city of size with world-class hospitals, multiple universities in the metropolitan area and light/commuter rail.

Lots of very interesting neighborhoods. I love exurban areas but Salt Lake City is a neighborhood city, where each neighborhood is different.

Salt Lake City is a shockingly high-amenity city for a city of less than 200,000 people. In the middle of the city itself it seems so many times bigger than it is.

Some of the most exciting people and personalities I ever came across were in Salt Lake City. Some of the friendliest and unfriendliest people. Some of the healthiest people you could ever across and yet a city where many people have bad vice's

There seems to be so many events constantly going on Salt Lake City. It is one city I was glad to experience.

It is a super-liberal city in the middle of a very conservative state.

It has a very active city and seems so huge and vibrant compared to the population.

I don't think I ever had an unexciting moment in Salt Lake City. There is just so much to do there and the people are likely the most exciting of any city I have lived in.

The eastside of Salt Lake City is very active at night, with many places staying open well past midnight. Has a nightlife of a city several times it's size.

The number of hospitals, the amount of transit, really nice grocery stores and restaurants for the size of the place.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:36 PM

93,238 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Salt Lake City by far.

Very vibrant city with good sized nightlife. Huge infrastructure for a city of size with world-class hospitals, multiple universities in the metropolitan area and light/commuter rail.

Lots of very interesting neighborhoods. I love exurban areas but Salt Lake City is a neighborhood city, where each neighborhood is different.

Salt Lake City is a shockingly high-amenity city for a city of less than 200,000 people. In the middle of the city itself it seems so many times bigger than it is.

Some of the most exciting people and personalities I ever came across were in Salt Lake City. Some of the friendliest and unfriendliest people. Some of the healthiest people you could ever across and yet a city where many people have bad vice's

There seems to be so many events constantly going on Salt Lake City. It is one city I was glad to experience.

It is a super-liberal city in the middle of a very conservative state.

It has a very active city and seems so huge and vibrant compared to the population.

I don't think I ever had an unexciting moment in Salt Lake City. There is just so much to do there and the people are likely the most exciting of any city I have lived in.

The eastside of Salt Lake City is very active at night, with many places staying open well past midnight. Has a nightlife of a city several times it's size.

The number of hospitals, the amount of transit, really nice grocery stores and restaurants for the size of the place.
I wonder if much of this is due to being a capital city that is the biggest in its state and for large geographical area.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:56 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,861,624 times
San Antonio. It was more elegant than I expected.

Old 10-07-2017, 05:45 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,888,916 times
Rochester. Not a run down industrial Rust Belt town even though most residents think it is. From what natives had said I was expecting a pure ghetto. I almost cancelled the trip. Was I wrong. I guess you have to be an outsider from another Rust Belt city visiting to appreciate all Rochester offers. The downtown is new and clean. The city has a good music and art scene. The access to water sports is above par. It's the one inland city I have been to in the US that is closest to what life is like on the beach. Rochester is definitely a boat lovers paradise. The only two obstacles holding Rochester back from being a boom town are the weather and politics. I could see Amazon or another company moving their headquarters to Rochester because there is so much potential, especially with RIT at the outside of the city.

Last edited by bluecarebear; 10-07-2017 at 05:55 AM..

Old 10-07-2017, 06:41 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,806,830 times
Kansas City. I was expecting a larger version of Oklahoma City but there really isn't any comparison at all. I was blown away by the soul, character, and vibrancy of KC.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:44 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,306,196 times
Philadelphia. It seems to always be portrayed in movies and on TV as being dirty, completely impoverished, and very dangerous. We avoided it as a destination when our kids were little for many years because it had such a bad reputation. When we finally visited for the first time, I was completely charmed! Not only does much of the downtown/Center City/Historic District feel completely safe, but it is quite lovely too. I would go back at least once a year and spend some time there if I had the time. I could walk around Philly all day.

Orlando. Disney spends a fortune convincing families that Orlando is the fun capital of the world when in reality, outside of the Disney compound itself which is completely manufactured, Orlando is just a hot, sprawling, congested, unimpressive city with a higher than average crime rate and some of the worst traffic that I've ever encountered, even in comparison to cities like LA and Atlanta. I cannot understand what would possess anyone to live there, but to each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.