Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 04:07 PM

461 posts, read 545,945 times

Advertisements

I would caution anyone against moving to Colorado unless your job is moving you here. The front range is an elitist place and it gets more expensive every day. Salaries are extremely low compared to the cost of living. Unless you have to be here, there are much much better choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 08:24 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,387,503 times
I wouldn't go so far as to say Colorado is elitist, but it is increasingly expensive due to all the in-migration of people with large amounts of real estate equity and go anywhere jobs that can be done remotely that pay high 5 or 6 figures. There is a very strong manufacturing segment in technology and aerospace, but competition for those jobs is considerable and some places are going out of state and hitting up and training soon to retire military to groom workers. But, the average of $1000 rent in COS and $1800 rent in DEN means it can be very cost prohibitive to anyone trying to just show up and make a go at it with just basic or entry level skills.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 531 times
Default About Salt Lake City

Hi! This is in response to choices of cities to include SLC. Just upfront know that SLC is NOT a cheap place to live in, albeit cheaper than say NYC, Chicago & other big metro areas. That is, if you want a safe decent neighborhood. Also, I would not suggest raising kids here. I live north of SLC & it is safe, but trust me you and your kids will not "fit in" unless you're Mormon, or LDS. They will not exclude you per se but IMHO you will feel an outsider to some extent. Also there is 0 night life or diversity unless you move to the city like to a neighborhood like Sugar House, which is expensive! I have lived in Chicago area, Seattle area & other places & I would never recommend SLC, at least not northern "suburbs." Utah schools are also not great. I can literally think of 5 other places off the top of my head to live. I am speaking from a different demographic it sounds like, but trust me I have Mormon friends from out-of -state that also don't feel they "fit in." As for kids my kids have not made many good friends after 2 years and they are friendly & loving children. I could go on but bottom line is I would not recommend Utah to anyone. We are planning to move out asap. Now don't get me wrong, Mormons are "friendly," but this is a surface friendly that is learned. Trust me I have native Utah LDS/Mormons to back me up on this. If you are Mormon and from Utah this is your place. Otherwise just don't do it. Good luck!! There are waay better & now diverse areas out there. Just wanting to save some heartache & disappointment. Also on a side note, there is a lot of chemical & drug abuse out here. As a Mom it is scary because as most of us know, kids who don't " fit in" may look elsewhere for entertainment. Also high percentage of mental health issues. Lots of people come here because it's "safe" but it's not 100 percent accurate.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:44 PM

461 posts, read 545,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to say Colorado is elitist..
If the Denver area isn't elitist (note that I said "front range" and you used Colorado) then I don't know of an area that is. I live and work here, and all I see are moderately wealthy, mostly White people, skiing/mountain biking/eating in expensive restaurants. Not elitist? Tell me where those free family actiivities are? Sorry, but all I see is Cherry Creek everywhere I look. The name of the neighborhood may change, but the people don't.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:48 PM

21 posts, read 25,005 times
I guess Colorado is off the list...I'm mainly looking for good weather, manufacturing jobs for my husband, and proximity to beaches. The beach part isn't a must but it's preferred.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:56 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,624,543 times
I heard Pittsburgh is a beautiful city. I wouln't go to Florida wages aren't good unless you have a union or a great company. Most pay low wages because it's Florida...

Old 10-18-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non Mormon mom View Post
Hi! This is in response to choices of cities to include SLC. Just upfront know that SLC is NOT a cheap place to live in, albeit cheaper than say NYC, Chicago & other big metro areas. That is, if you want a safe decent neighborhood. Also, I would not suggest raising kids here. I live north of SLC & it is safe, but trust me you and your kids will not "fit in" unless you're Mormon, or LDS. They will not exclude you per se but IMHO you will feel an outsider to some extent. Also there is 0 night life or diversity unless you move to the city like to a neighborhood like Sugar House, which is expensive! I have lived in Chicago area, Seattle area & other places & I would never recommend SLC, at least not northern "suburbs." Utah schools are also not great. I can literally think of 5 other places off the top of my head to live. I am speaking from a different demographic it sounds like, but trust me I have Mormon friends from out-of -state that also don't feel they "fit in." As for kids my kids have not made many good friends after 2 years and they are friendly & loving children. I could go on but bottom line is I would not recommend Utah to anyone. We are planning to move out asap. Now don't get me wrong, Mormons are "friendly," but this is a surface friendly that is learned. Trust me I have native Utah LDS/Mormons to back me up on this. If you are Mormon and from Utah this is your place. Otherwise just don't do it. Good luck!! There are waay better & now diverse areas out there. Just wanting to save some heartache & disappointment. Also on a side note, there is a lot of chemical & drug abuse out here. As a Mom it is scary because as most of us know, kids who don't " fit in" may look elsewhere for entertainment. Also high percentage of mental health issues. Lots of people come here because it's "safe" but it's not 100 percent accurate.
I guess Salt Lake City is off the list too..Nobody has said anything bad about Orlando yet. Lol

Old 10-18-2017, 06:25 PM

496 posts, read 411,474 times
Maybe the Greenville, SC or the Winston-Salem, NC area. Also Knoxville, TN. These are reasonably affordable, have manufacturing jobs, the weather is ok and weekend trips to the beach would be doable from all three cities. I haven't read the whole thread and if these don't suit or have been mentioned I apologize.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingercoyote View Post
Maybe the Greenville, SC or the Winston-Salem, NC area. Also Knoxville, TN. These are reasonably affordable, have manufacturing jobs, the weather is ok and weekend trips to the beach would be doable from all three cities. I haven't read the whole thread and if these don't suit or have been mentioned I apologize.
We've discussed Tennessee and we definitely don't want to move there. I already know what NC is like and I don't want to go there either.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:13 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedelight21 View Post
I guess Salt Lake City is off the list too..Nobody has said anything bad about Orlando yet. Lol
Allow me. If you're looking for better salaries and a lower cost of living, Orlando is NOT the place. I have lived here for several years this time around (my parents had settled here and I moved back in their final years) and can attest it's not a place to get ahead or live comfortably unless selling a home and relocating from a more expensive housing market and/or have well paying jobs. Salaries are among the lowest of major cities (the average HOUSEHOLD income) is around 40K per year and the average rent is around $1000 a month for a one bedroom. The whole idea that Orlando is the land of plenty and sunshine is a big fat mirage for most. Low wages, high rent: Orlando has a problem - Orlando Sentinel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.